Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,520 times

Advertisements

Experiments in ESP have had limited success meaning that often they have results that are above what would be considered the average expected result. This is not enough to prove the theory yet enough to not discount it. But do these experiments or this areas of study have anything to do with that "force" that is being discussed? All that they prove really is that it is not necessarily generated by the human mind (even though it could be). It does not prove that the phenomenon does not exist at all.

Perhaps the problem with scientific experimentation is not that there is no physical thing to study and detect. I would think that the problem is the lack of instrumentation to detect it. How can we pick up radio waves without a receiver? The same principal can apply, and this kind of instrumentation was searched for by the likes of Thomas Edison.

"I don't claim that our personalities pass onto another existence," Edison later told Scientific American. "I don't claim anything, because I don't know anything.... for that matter, no human being knows. But I do claim that it is possible to construct an apparatus which will be so delicate that if there are personalities in another existence who wish to get in touch with us... this apparatus will at least give them a better opportunity."
THOMAS EDISON BIRTHPLACE MUSEUM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
But what would they actually study? The problem I see with this is that there simply isn't any subject matter. In order to study something you've got to have some physical material that can be analyzed, some phenomenon that can be measured or detected by various means or something tangible that you can work with. It would be like trying to study the human soul which I don't believe even exists. How can you study something you can't even find?

Just because we don't know how to study it does not mean that it cannot be studied.

The Russians have a fairly long history of studying this, especially under the Soviets. Unfortunately, their studies are very hard to access. There is some evidence that they have been able to not only study it, but also document and analyze it. They simply choose not to share their information. Here is a reminder of some phenomena.

It is entirely possible that there is an underlying energy at work in our universe that produces phenomena which cannot be easily explained by our current scientific knowledge. To simply deny its existence because "science hasn't proven it to be true" is to limit our possibilities to our own detriment.

Over the centuries, there have been many things that science has not understood, been unable to explain, or been outright wrong about. That does not mean that the scientific method is wrong, or that science itself is wrong or useless, only that it is incomplete. We do ourselves a great service when we remember this, and when we run across something we cannot explain sufficiently, we do not dismiss it, but instead try to understand it, even if that means stepping outside of our current understanding and seeking new methods of study and analysis.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:43 PM

124 posts, read 321,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, I'm not going to hold your hand. If you seek truth, you must carry yourself toward it on your own.

One book I would suggest as a launching point is "The Field", or just do your own inquiry into the matter.

Science, however, is too primitive at this point to possess all the answers. If we waited for science to tell us of our reality, we'd hardly ever progress. I see spirituality (and all its absurd dogmatic manifestations) as a sort of place-holder until science gets there. Doesn't negate the powers often attributed to a "God", but simply reveals its scientific manifestation.

So, on the non-scientific side, you might find "What I've Always Known" to be of interest. It's the first-person account of a modern white man adopted by a traditional Native American Shaman who still holds the spiritual wisdom for which their cultures have become known and, perhaps, over-glorified.

His experiences defy much of what we believe to be true about reality, yet they are not mere belief in the supernatural.
No you are making a claim. You must present actual evidence of said claim, not just say the evidence is out there.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
stanman13 wrote:
Quote:
It is entirely possible that there is an underlying energy at work in our universe that produces phenomena which cannot be easily explained by our current scientific knowledge. To simply deny its existence because "science hasn't proven it to be true" is to limit our possibilities to our own detriment.
I don't dispute what you're saying at all. I realize that primitive tribes in remote parts of the world have been surrounded by radio waves from transmitters in cities that they would be completely unaware of so it would be foolish to think that we've reached a level of knowledge in which we can exclude ourselves from being in a similar situation. I'm completely open to any evidence on any subject matter but the point I'm trying to make is that I won't accept something without evidence just because someone says it is so. Speculation is one thing but stating unproven theories as being factual without a shred of evidence is something very different and not something I'm willing to accept.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:15 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefly View Post
well, i'm not going to hold your hand. If you seek truth, you must carry yourself toward it on your own.

One book i would suggest as a launching point is "the field", or just do your own inquiry into the matter.

Science, however, is too primitive at this point to possess all the answers. If we waited for science to tell us of our reality, we'd hardly ever progress. I see spirituality (and all its absurd dogmatic manifestations) as a sort of place-holder until science gets there. Doesn't negate the powers often attributed to a "god", but simply reveals its scientific manifestation.

So, on the non-scientific side, you might find "what i've always known" to be of interest. It's the first-person account of a modern white man adopted by a traditional native american shaman who still holds the spiritual wisdom for which their cultures have become known and, perhaps, over-glorified.

His experiences defy much of what we believe to be true about reality, yet they are not mere belief in the supernatural.

:d

interactive with a notebook on autopilot .... LOL

Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
It's not a "belief" if it's physically possible. You're very confused on this subject because you haven't thought about it and are formulating opinions based on nothing.
I'd like to stop you cold right there: It is my belief that, given sufficient training, I could break a board with my bare hands -- and such is, indeed, physically possible.

Have I *done* it? No. I have neither the training nor the desire. Still, a belief is not strictly constrained to the realm of the physically possible.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:46 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
...just like Christians are confident Jesus Christ died for their sins and will return.

Exactly - two birds of a feather.
I feel your frustration Bluefly;
Some hear, then 'believe', and then close.

Here is a study which reaches beyond the five senses
ISTPP: Crime Prevention

Then we have observed particles behaving differently (producing a different result) than when they are not observed.

YouTube - What tHe BLeeP Do wE (k)now? Part 3 "Double-Slit Experiment"

Comments?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
firstborn888 wrote:
Quote:
Here is a study which reaches beyond the five senses
ISTPP: Crime Prevention
This is just laughable. I can't even imagine how anyone could take it seriously. I see no mysterious forces at work and I see that was dated way back in 1993 so it's obvious that law enforcement didn't take it seriously either.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
firstborn888 wrote:

This is just laughable. I can't even imagine how anyone could take it seriously. I see no mysterious forces at work and I see that was dated way back in 1993 so it's obvious that law enforcement didn't take it seriously either.
What about the other observed particle link?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:16 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
Logical positivism and empirical verificationism are ways to avoid actually ever having to be a genuine human being. A good way to go through life and completely suppress any authentic human feeling, emotion, or intuition. People have experiences of thigs beyond the ordinary that seems quite real to them, there are very good arguments for God or some kind of Cosmic Consciousness beyond the naive rantings of empirical verificationists. Materialism is a dead philosophy, and a horrible way to view life, to see everything as just dead rocks, dead planets, dead vacuum, and dead things with no intillegence in anything at all, just chaos. It's a completely empty, narcissistic and arrogant philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal