Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:19 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So how come we don't all interpret it the same way? How come there are over 30,000 different Christian denominations in the world today? Seriously, I believe that you, Carolina, and I, Katzpur, are equally sincere in wanting to know the truth. We both rely on the Holy Spirit. Why don't we come to the same understanding of what the Bible is telling us?

Here's what the Apostle Paul had to say on the subject (from Ephesians 4:11-14):

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive..."

If I were to try to explain in modern English what Paul was saying, I would say this:

"And He (Jesus Christ) appointed apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. His purpose in doing so was to perfect His followers, to minister to them and to teach them. These were to remain in place until all of us are unified in the faith and in our knowledge of the Son of God, enabling us to grow to maturity in the Lord. Otherwise, we will continue to be like children in the gospel, persuaded first one way and then another, and unable to distinguish between true and false doctrines, being subject to the teachings of those who are crafty and who desire to deceive us."

Jesus Christ built His Church on Prophets and Apostles. We don't just need their words today, we need them. It sounds to me as if everybody is saying, "We don't have them so we must not need them." It doesn't work that way.
There are so many interpretations because everyone is not listening to the Holy Spirit. Jesus said in John 14:26 the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit enables us to discern truth from error.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
There are so many interpretations because everyone is not listening to the Holy Spirit. Jesus said in John 14:26 the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit enables us to discern truth from error.
But you're listening, aren't you? And so am I. And at least a few hundred million among the world's two billion Christians must be, too. You can't just dismiss the fact that we're getting different answers when we're both equally sincere.

Repeat: Without living prophets, "we will continue to be like children in the gospel, persuaded first one way and then another, and unable to distinguish between true and false doctrines, being subject to the teachings of those who are crafty and who desire to deceive us..."

Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,824 times
Quote:

Then tell me, who is listening to the holy spirit?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,904 times
Quote:
I agree...listen and depend on the Holy Spirit to guide.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But you're listening, aren't you? And so am I. And at least a few hundred million among the world's two billion Christians must be, too. You can't just dismiss the fact that we're getting different answers when we're both equally sincere.
I think the important thing to remember is compare what you hear with the Bible,does it match up? Scripture will always back up Scripture.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I agree...listen and depend on the Holy Spirit to guide.
So if the Holy Spirit tells me one thing and you something else, which one of us is not listening?

You people have got to start thinking and stop just giving these "feel good" answers. I asked a legitimate question and this answer just doesn't cut it. Sorry.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I think the important thing to remember is compare what you hear with the Bible,does it match up? Scripture will always back up Scripture.
I'm sorry...but no it doesn't..If it did, there would be one church, but we have over 32,000 protestant churches. All using the same scripture

Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Then tell me, who is listening to the holy spirit?
People who are listening will compare what they hear with the Bible to see if it matches up. Are you listening?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:28 PM

I am, and your avoiding the question.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I'm sorry...but no it doesn't..If it did, there would be one church, but we have over 32,000 protestant churches. All using the same scripture
Well yea it does, but everyone is not listening to Holy Spirit, everyone is not comparing what they hear with the Bible. Everyone is not praying to God for understanding. Some people are just too religious too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.