Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
there are but they give them prosac.
yeah, i just read about that - again - this afternoon.
and other mind enhancers. dope for the execs.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 03-10-2009 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: on prescription!!!!! (big p. can do)

Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I don't buy into the lost books of the bible. The bible is God's word and that's that. Prophecy is bound by scripture if the prophecy is not in agreement with the bible well again I say, it is not from God.
Which Bible?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That would be those with views in line with the Bible
But see, that's just it...thousands of different denominations claim their views are in line with the Bible, and yet so many of them differ from one another - including on major doctrinal issues. So how do you know which one is right? (I've asked that question a bazillion times in these forums, and still no one has answered it. Am I speaking Greek? )

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
But see, that's just it...thousands of different denominations claim their views are in line with the Bible, and yet so many of them differ from one another - including on major doctrinal issues. So how do you know which one is right? (I've asked that question a bazillion times in these forums, and still no one has answered it. Am I speaking Greek? )
I'll answer....cause they don't use the other half they need. Tradition. With out...you get the thousands of churches we have today. Only the Catholic church has held on to tradition and beliefs founded by christ. You can read the writing of the early church father, and confirm this.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Yes, there are prophets today, because the Bible says there is. Nowhere does the Bible say prophets will "cease to exist" because the Bible is "now complete"...that theory is a doctrine of man. Prophets don't "add" to the Bible as many think...they exhort and edify the body of Christ (the Church)
That said, I think for every true prophet of God there is at least one phony. (way more than one, IMO). One has only to scan through the "prophets" on the internet and on "youtube" to bolster that suspicion...
I don't think there are very many true prophets...maybe less than 100 in the entire world today...(just my guess)

Bud

Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I'll answer....cause they don't use the other half they need. Tradition. With out...you get the thousands of churches we have today. Only the Catholic church has held on to tradition and beliefs founded by christ. You can read the writing of the early church father, and confirm this.
Oh, I absolutely agree. There HAS to be a central authority which determines correct doctrine, and that is only found within the Roman Catholic Church via apostolic succession. It's impossible for there to be thousands of different truths about essential doctrines. That would mean the Holy Spirit contradicts Himself, and would basically make Him a liar. Protestants don't seem to recognize just how much the multiple interpretations within their ranks actually detracts from their credibility.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Oh, I absolutely agree. There HAS to be a central authority which determines correct doctrine, and that is only found within the Roman Catholic Church via apostolic succession. It's impossible for there to be thousands of different truths about essential doctrines. That would mean the Holy Spirit contradicts Himself, and would basically make Him a liar. Protestants don't seem to recognize just how much the multiple interpretations within their ranks actually detracts from their credibility.
Exactly

Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Which Bible?
o.......k

Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Uh... I didn't even mention the lost books of the Bible. How about answering my question about where in the Bible God tells us He's decided He's through talking. Don't start a debate if you can't do anything more than plug your ears when someone says something you don't want to hear.

Sorry I misinterpreted you in my fallen state.
Plug my ears? I answered your question with an emphatic YES! God gave us His full revelation in the bible. Do I have to answer where God says, "there are no more prophets" Does the bible say, "no same sex marriage?" does the bible say, "no taking LSD". I mean you can't use that. This is systematic theology.

If we have scripture-both covenants-full revelation, what use is a prophet? What can a prophet tell me that the bible can't. can you at least give me a clue/ a guess?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 03-11-2009 at 07:05 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I'm agreeing with you so far. We need the Holy Spirit to discern who we need to be listening to. I see great benefits from listening to those who have had visions or dreams who are proven men and women of God. Even those who are feeling something spiritually like David Wilkerson. I don't think it's fair to call anyone a false prophet just because they are sharing what they have seen or felt. It's the date setters that we need to stay away from. Even those who have set dates in the past are sorry they have done so, like Hal Lindsey for instance. Most of the time it's just over eagerness on our part to hear and understand what God is telling us.

I will not discount someone just because they set a date years ago and it didn't materialize as they said or because they have different interpretations and are of a different denomination. If the pope had a vision, I would want to hear it!! Doesn't mean I will give it credence, but it may have some value for someone. I suppose this is a fine line, but I think some people are too quick to yell "FALSE PROPHET, FALSE PROPHET!!!" when all someone is trying to do is share, not rewrite the Bible.
Well then you would have to put the prophet to death for getting it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal