U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:23 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 13,412,968 times
Reputation: 748

Advertisements

I don't believe there are prophets today because we have God's entire revelation now thru the bible. What can a prophet tell us further that we don't already know from the bible. I mean God will never contradict Himself so the prophet will have to follow scripture; if he doesn't then how can it be of God?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 03-10-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 5,348,977 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I don't believe there are prophets today because we have God's entire revelation now thru the bible. What can a prophet tell us futher that we don't already know from the bible. I mean God will never contradict Himself so the prophet will have to follow scripture if he doesn't then how can it be of God?
I am not sure if there are prophets but the Lord did say that some would prophecy in the end times. I know some who have visions, I have had visions, I think, but if something doesnt add up to the Bible I ignore it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 9,035,598 times
Reputation: 798
Agreed. There will be prophets in the end times, but I think they will be for tribulation saints during the tribulation, and not for the church today. The church age will be ending (soon imo) and the tribulation will begin.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 6,949,694 times
Reputation: 847
Default Yes...

1 Corinthians 12:7-10

... (7) But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. (8) For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; (9) To another faith by the same Spirit (10) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 9,035,598 times
Reputation: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
1 Corinthians 12:7-10

... (7) But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. (8) For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; (9) To another faith by the same Spirit (10) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues...
I don't think that means prophecy as in new revelation, but rather interpreting the Word of God. It is a teaching gift. There were obviously those in the New and Old Testaments who could prophesy (tell the future according to God), however, God's Word is now complete. The gift of prophecy today merely means the spiritual gift of interpretation.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 13,412,968 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
1 Corinthians 12:7-10

... (7) But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. (8) For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; (9) To another faith by the same Spirit (10) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues...
but what is prophecy?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 13,412,968 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I don't think that means prophecy as in new revelation, but rather interpreting the Word of God. It is a teaching gift. There were obviously those in the New and Old Testaments who could prophesy (tell the future according to God), however, God's Word is now complete. The gift of prophecy today merely means the spiritual gift of interpretation.
Yes I agree
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,786,766 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
but what is prophecy?

# 4394. propheteia prof-ay-ti'-ah from 4396 ("prophecy"); prediction (scriptural or other):--prophecy, prophesying.

# 4396 prophetes prof-ay'-tace from a compound of 4253 and 5346; a foreteller ("prophet"); by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet:--prophet.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,264,986 times
Reputation: 465
I'd like to take credit for what I'm about to say...but I cannot.
I was talking with a dear friend today and what he said made a lot of sense....
There are prophets in the bible
There are also people with prophetic gifts.
It's like a light bulb came on within me...

There is a huge difference between the two...
For the gifts that I have received for us in no way compare to what the prophets of the OT experienced.
It would be a whole lot easier if God just told me what to do, where to go, exactly what to say.....(or at least I think it would...)
I do definitely believe we are in the end times because of the dreams/visions that I and others have received...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 13,412,968 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
# 4394. propheteia prof-ay-ti'-ah from 4396 ("prophecy"); prediction (scriptural or other):--prophecy, prophesying.

# 4396 prophetes prof-ay'-tace from a compound of 4253 and 5346; a foreteller ("prophet"); by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet:--prophet.
it was a rhetorical question
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top