Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:03 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a lot of "end-time prophecy" prophesying the (soon) terrible end of the United States, Britian, Australia, etc, by means of enemy attack by nuclear weapons, biological weapons, natural disasters, etc., as a means of judgement from God, for all the evil we have done. Usually, the person making the predictions claims to hear the direct audible voice of the Lord, see visions, etc. You can get literally pages of such by doing a Google search. How much weight do you give to all this? Are you concerned? Or, do you dis-regard them altogether?
Perhaps I am wrong, but looking at this logically...it seems to me all this does is generate fear...and we know fear is not of the Lord...

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
The bible actually says that things will get worse before it gets better so I'm excited in a good way when I see the world conditions. They don't frighten me but I do feel a good sense of motivation to teach others whenever I can.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
I have found most end times prophesy is centered around the US.....we are the most ethnocentric country in the world and I get tired of thinking that the world revovles around us. I don't see this side of the world mentioned in Revelation.

I also have a problem with the prophesy centered (self-centered as far as I can tell) preaching all-together so you may very well have to take my words with a grain of wherever they came from......

The world will end. That is a fact. When? Who knows. Will the US be a major player??? Who knows.

I just know we need to be ready spiritually. That is where I want to focus.

Dawn

Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Yes, it's a small industry that's promoted by tv preachers and those who are peddling books on the subject. Alot of this is probably just due to the desire to make a quick buck but there is alot of interest and unfortunately fear in this subject. I'm never concerned for myself when someone claims to hear audible voices or is having visions, that is unless that person is armed.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
How much weight do you give to all this?
Almost none. I think 99% of these so-called "end-times" Biblical prophecies are a severe misinterpretation of the Bible. The Bible is not a manual for prognosticators.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I don't pay much attention to doomsday prophets, they usually want something from you. No one knows the day or time when Jesus will return, only the father does. I don't think we are to be wasting time in the guessing game. I would rather spend my time being ready. A thief in the night doesn't give you a time or date when to expect him

Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I don't pay much attention to doomsday prophets, they usually want something from you. No one knows the day or time when Jesus will return, only the father does. I don't think we are to be wasting time in the guessing game. I would rather spend my time being ready. A thief in the night doesn't give you a time or date when to expect him
I agree, for those of us who are saved there is no fear about this topic.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I agree with DawnW in a general way: Cultures tend to assume it will be that culture, in that existing generation's time or soon after, that "the end of the world" will come.

Ancient Scandinavians thought Ragnarok (sp? Can't remember) would come "soon"--all throughout Scandinavian history, from written/runic indications dating back well over a thousand years. People in the Middle East thought it was coming "soon" after Jesus' death. In Europe, the big scare seemed to be when the year 1000 was coming, but other times of devastation, especially during the two major plagues, were assumed to portend the end of the world. People had this fear during WWI, since it was a global war. The same thing with WWII. Now we think it will be us.

Does anybody remember in the late 80s--it might have been 1986? 1987?--when some mathematical equation coupled with, I think, Nostradamus' predictions were supposed to mean the world was supposed to end on a certain date? Actually, there was an earlier one too, now that I remember it. The first one was when I was in high school, so it might have been 1983 or 1984. Anyway, we all went to school that day terrified. Then the other one a couple of years later, I was at work that day and I remember looking out the main foyer window and there was a woman literally walking up and down the street singing hymns and raising her hands up and down. It was all over the news, I hope somebody else remembers this.

Then it was supposed to be the year 2000. Remember there were rich crazies figuring out how they could go underground or get in a plane?

DawnW is right as far as the egocentric part goes. We assume it will be "now" because "now" we have nukes and foreign relations with some countries aren't great. But we've had them for, what? 70 years now?--and certainly during that time foreign relations between us and one country or another, or several, haven't been great. There have even been a few U.S.-involved wars during that time. And yes, even then we assumed the "other guy" on the other side of the war "had underground access to nukes" and "was just crazy enough to do it". Yet...it hasn't happened yet, has it?

It's been, I think, 1950-ish years since Revelation was written...why would "now" be the time? I know some people are hoping for it because they assume they'll be saved and their personal sufferings will end. I have to tell you...I'll bet a lot of Jews during the Inquisition or during the Holocaust were thinking the same thing (except with the messiah)... We all have suffering and we all long for something huge to happen to end it. Sure, it could happen tomorrow. But will it, because the world is "so bad" today? No. There is no such assurance.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
I don't put any stock into doomsday scenarios either. Basically, IMO, the world is not going to end, only this age of suffering will end upon Jesus' return. When will He return? No one knows. People can point to all the "signs" they want pointing to the return of Jesus. But it's still just guessing. People can choose to agree or disagree, but all that matters in the end, IMO, is where you stand with Jesus when he does come. All I can say is hurry, Lord Jesus, hurry!!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:41 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Wanna know about Bible prophecy, look at what happens to and at Israel. I dont put much stock in doomsday internet stuff, but I do read up on Bible prophecy. Anybody thats really interested in it can pm me. I agree with the above posters...be ready. No one knows when the Lord will come, Like a thief in the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal