Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 02:12 PM

174 posts, read 516,822 times

Advertisements

Well, I know it's not Halloween, but everyone is interested in stories on this topic.

My father is a minister (now retired). I remember him telling me a story of a couple in his congregation who tried to consult him about a poltergeist living in this old 150 year old town house that they had just purchased. My dad was skeptical and amused at the time until he began to talk to them. They told him that they were awakened on several occasions by the sounds of footsteps in their hallway, only to discover that nothing was there. Things disappeared out of locked cabinets and reappeared in other locations throughout the house. There was a distinct sound of laughter in another room, but when investigated the room would be found empty. My dad didn't do much of anything. Presbyterians don't mumble things in Latin and throw Holy Water around. He said this couple finally moved out because they couldn't live with it anymore.

I'm not a believer in disembodied human spirits; however, the whole "ghost" phenomenon is too old, too universal, and has too much evidence behind it to simply dismiss it. I used to think of it all as the residue or the psycho-goo (I like that term. I just made it up.) left by people who die in great distress. They leave it in a "nonanimated" state (for lack of a better term) and living human beings tap into it in some way. I'm not sure that all ghost stories can be explained in such a simple way. I'm curious to see what other people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
I live in a murder house. I sleep in the room where the murder occurred. No ghosts, because they're not real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal