Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

NEWTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- For Laura Geraghty, April 1, 2009, started out just as any other day. It was sunny but cool, she remembers.

The mother of two, also a grandmother, was at her job, driving a school bus for the Newton Public School District in suburban Boston, Massachusetts.

Doctor says near-death experiences are in the mind - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:37 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Hi John...how you doing? well I hope.

Fasinating article. I do believe there is a possibility of truth involved.

There are bound to be skeptics as usual but to a person who has experienced something unusal similiar will respond differently.

I have had a few surgerys in the last 20 yrs (under the knife) and every time I was brought too the result was the same except for the last one a yr ago last Aug when I had spinal surgery.

Later on asked my provider if there was any problem during the procedure...he looked on the computer and replied NONE.

Reason for my asking was that in the past they patted my face lightly and called my name...asking if I was okay and my reply was always the same "was it a boy or a girl"? and the nurse laughed.

This time things were different. There was a empty space and someone was calling many peoples names like a roll call of sorts untill my name Stephen was called and I woke up without asking the baby thing. I am not paranoid or anything but wondering as I've a procedure scheduled in mid Jan of 2010.

Will update anything unusual after that date if I'm still around.

Steve

Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Was this her?

YouTube - Woman Bus Driver Crash

Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,057 times
I find these NDE experiences quite interesting. I don't believe in the traditional Judeo-Christian concept of God and the afterlife, so I have no vested interest in looking for evidence that supports it. I have no idea whether whether personality survives the body after death. We currently don't know any mechanism by which it could occur, but there's enough anecdotal evidence in the form of hauntings and reincarnation stories that I don't rule it out.

The doctor in the article says that what happens during an NDE is the same as what happens when people faint. I've never experienced an NDE, but I've fainted several times in my life, and I never experienced tunnel vision, bright lights, a long tunnel, or dead relatives. There's a feeling of nausea, a buzzing in my ears, then fading vison, then vague awareness of sounds, then confusion, then a return to full consciousness. On one occasion, I dreamed. What about others of you who have fainted?

One argument made against NDEs being anything other than hallucinations is that surgeons can induce them by stimulating a particular regon of the brain. The counter to that is that surgeons can also induce visual and auditory hallucinations by stimulating other regions of the brain, but that doesn't mean that everything we see and hear is illusion.

I've also wondered how the classic NDE could be selected for by evolution (and I do accept evolution as a proven fact). From what I understand, NDEs are a pretty rare phenomenon, and in the days before modern medicine, I suspect few people were revived from the brink of death. I'd be interested to hear theories on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal