U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 14,819,050 times

Advertisements

Do you believe in ghosts?

I believe that sometimes things happen that are unexplainable. Some people may call it "ghosts." I don't.

What do you think? Do you believe in ghosts? Why?

Tell us your (real) story.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,340,222 times
Thanks love. Now I am over here posting on all these topics!

Answer: Never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I guess I should say I believe in the possibility that there could be ghosts.

Now off to read more threads!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 PM

7,356 posts, read 17,923,970 times
Yes, I have seen a ghost or something like a ghost.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM

10,741 posts, read 10,508,398 times
Yes I believe in ghosts or spirits. Why? Because there is enough anecdotal and empirical evidence that the soul lives on after death and some souls get caught in their old abode or a place they frequented, for a variety of reasons. That's a 'ghost.'

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 PM

1,246 posts, read 3,890,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Yes I believe in ghosts or spirits. Why? Because there is enough anecdotal and empirical evidence that the soul lives on after death and some souls get caught in their old abode or a place they frequented, for a variety of reasons. That's a 'ghost.'
ITA. I have experienced several "unexplained" things in my life so far enough to convince me there are things/spirits/ghosts that are among us. I know someone who is "sensitive" to these things and he is very credible. He sees these things quite often and has a very highly tuned 6th sense.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Details, people, I want DETAILS!

What happened? What unexplained things?

What empirical evidence?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 PM

13,620 posts, read 11,642,143 times
i used to be atheist but now i am agnostic and still looking for the proof of a single creator... when i was like 9 years old i went to sunday school class with some friend and his parents for a few months.. and it realy confused me.. i could not except somthing that was not tangible i was more a scientific kinda kid and i curesed at god for at least a year after that... but then i started asking god for a sign and still do.. well when i was 27 i got my first sign!!!! i was cuting a branch off of a large tree and the branch swung down and knocked the ladder from under me and i came crashing down and dislocated my arm... but was able to pop it back in.. it hurt like hell. and so i went home and drove up to our shed where i have all my tools stored. and picked up the two chain saws that i had and went to place them on the floor of the shed.. then all of a sudden a 40 pound chop saw that was sitting on top of a table saw started to vibrate violentlly for at least 6 to 8 seconds scarring the holy crap out of me.. i was afraid to enter the shed for at least 3 days all i could do for those 3 days was think about a creator..but being a very scientific person i could some how explain it away with some theory like some electromagnetic force or some quantum phyisics theory made that chop saw vibrate at just the right time for me to see feel and hear it... i have seen a few strange things in my life time after that but none as dramatic though.. and still not convinced that god exist thats what made me go from atheist to agnostic.. so i am always looking for the signs weahter suttle or dramatic....it is hard to beleave that all the visible univers and beyond was created by total randomness but you never know maybe it was maybe it wasn't always looking for proof.

not a ghost story but just as strange as seeing a ghost.. i've see some strange things that are hard to explain away..

Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 PM

81 posts, read 265,876 times
Default Ghost Story

I will tell my ghost experiences at the risk of being ridiculed. Growing up in NY my family bought a home that was the site of a fire in the 1920s that killed a large number of people. This fact wasnt known to us at the time. After a year or so in the house my mother, sister and I started seeing apparitions...ghosts! I would see them going from room to room, lights would turn on and off on their own. I was 10 or 11 years old and it scared the heck out of me....I was too scared to say anything till one day I told my mother and she confessed that she was seeing them also but didnt want to say anything that would upset us. Needless to say we moved out about a year later, it was something we couldnt get used to. I would never have believed it if I hadn't experienced it.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-29-2009 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Moved from Raleigh/Durham forum

Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,560,600 times
until you see one you can always have doubt, once one is seen you know. Knowing the differences between various ways one can see or why some see or feel and others don't can elighten a person.

I was told spirits or ghost only show themselves to those who need to see. I don't know if that is true but is a good plausible explaination why some people might not see. Then there are those who see and feel a spirit/ghost in even darkened room or dank corner. Doesn't mean they are there or not.

Personally I have seen a man walk around my parents house and from time to time I can feel like someone touches my hair while I am in various locations.

Many cultures have various believe for those who walk the earth. My own is simplely that some people like to revisit after they are gone and well catch them in act of a brief visit. One thing I don't believe in is that ghost/spirit can harm you in any way.

to believe or not is not really a big deal. If you don't believe and a ghost walks past you did you really see it or was it just a trick of the eye. If You do believe in them and you see something is it really a ghost or just a brief play of light and dust/fog?

the choice is personal and not a really debatable subject. Kind of like UFOs are they or aren't they? who knows? the pictures are always fuzzy, taken at odd angles, or shakey video. What are you really seeing? You see what the mind can accept as real nothing more nothing less.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 AM

What did the apparitions look like?

Were they how they're represented on TV -- see-through and white as if they're made of smoke?

Or dressed in white and solid but clearly they weren't "real" because they didn't appear again?

Did it happen soon after the death of someone you knew (but the apparition didn't match the deceased person)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I will tell my ghost experiences at the risk of being ridiculed. Growing up in NY my family bought a home that was the site of a fire in the 1920s that killed a large number of people. This fact wasnt known to us at the time. After a year or so in the house my mother, sister and I started seeing apparitions...ghosts! I would see them going from room to room, lights would turn on and off on their own. I was 10 or 11 years old and it scared the heck out of me....I was too scared to say anything till one day I told my mother and she confessed that she was seeing them also but didnt want to say anything that would upset us. Needless to say we moved out about a year later, it was something we couldnt get used to. I would never have believed it if I hadn't experienced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal