Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

gsoboi, you really have to learn to sift out the bull crap that is found on the web....That is all that site is pure bs. Do a bit of research on the writer of that article and the author (Zecharia Sitchin) where his ideas came from.....Woo woo city my friend, woo woo city.

Zecharia Sitchin is an author of books promoting an explanation for human origins involving ancient astronauts, amidst other aspects of pseudoscience.

Sitchin attributes the creation of the ancient Sumerian culture to the "Anunnaki" (or "Nephilim"), a race of aliens from a planet he calls Nibiru, which he believes to be in an elongated, elliptical orbit in the Earth's own Solar System and asserts that Sumerian mythology reflects this view.

His speculations are entirely discounted by professional scientists, historians, and archaeologists, who note many problems with his translations of ancient texts and with his understanding of physics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 AM

6,941 posts, read 6,869,734 times
There are always going to be 'problems' translating texts from one language into another - particularly if one culture is more prone to working with abstract concepts and ideas and the other is not familiar with this kind of thing. For example the Chinese language does not translate well into english, but makes perfect sense to the Chinese. It often turns out to become chinglish when tranlated word-for-word and loses its meaning. I am sure this kind of thing makes many ancient texts open to interpretation.

What is the saying about new ideas? First they are ridiculed, then they are grudgingly accpeted and then they are assumed to be the way it has always been. (or something like that). It is because so many people do not like change and prefer the relative safety of accepted theories. There are loads of examples where outrageous ideas have been found to have some merit in the long term. (water on moon/mars, being one of them)

On another point:
Quote:
doncha think they could have done a bit better than rudimentary pyramids
This is you assuming that pyramids are nothing more than elaborate burial chambers but if they were designed and built to be something else, then they would not be rudimentry, would they? In fact, they would suddenly become state-of-the-art. No one has dismantled a pyramid because of its size and no-one really knows what they were intended to provide.

Finally, the fact is, that one theory is just about as likely to be correct as another and we can poo-poo the ones we think are rubbish now, however we may find that some of these might turn out to be correct.

The pyramid builders were able to do some things that we still cannot do as well as they did and todays scientists and archeologists continue to pop up every so often and offer wild theories trying to explain the methods but no-one really knows.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:06 AM

The last couple of days has seen the confirmation of the Moon water (which everyone knew was there anyway). The idea is that 1) NASA want some money from the government for their next Moon mission, and 2) They did not really need for the LCROSS space craft to complete the crash into the moon after the Indians found water there using their moon mission.

I wonder if this will re-generate interest in a moon mission. Maybe I will start a poll...

Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
UFOs are REAL

Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
Also VAtican holds 5 day conference on extraterrestrials.....Even the church is taking it seriously

News video link...Vatican holds 5 day conference on the discussion of extraterrestrials. Even the church is taking it seriously.

cnn's link:....the questions being raised in this interview has clearly been one of the main reason for the cover-up. how the existance of ET affects religion. What if there are religious contradictions which could lead people to abandon their faith for one belief which involves ET. That sound like the beginning of a "one world religion" as prophecized in the end times. It will be a scary time in which people's faith will be put to the test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STqWS...eature=related

Last edited by gsoboi; 11-21-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 AM

10 posts, read 17,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
No doubt. It always amazes me that so many people cannot accept that we are a fairly remarkable species that actually accomplished things on our own without the help of aliens or a god. Why so little wonder or faith in ourselves?

WE DID HAVE HELP FROM A GOD. OUR GOD CREATED ALL OF OUR SOURCES TO BUILD WHAT WE HAVE NOW

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,563 times
Eye witnesses are often wrong.
Documents can be forged.
And I don’t remember.
I therefore have no proof I was born on the planet called earth.

Aeroman

PS
Rachella, why are you yelling?

Last edited by Aeroman; 11-23-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: I would not worship an alien. You cant get much more alien than a god ;)

Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACHELLA View Post
WE DID HAVE HELP FROM A GOD. OUR GOD CREATED ALL OF OUR SOURCES TO BUILD WHAT WE HAVE NOW
Yell and slap your forehead all you want. Seriously, you're going to slap you forehead at my questioning of an invisible man to which absolutely no solid evidence can be shown that it exists? Nothing concrete, nothing that can be tested, nothing that can show without a shadow of a doubt that it is. Keep on slapping that forehead.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Keep on slapping that forehead.
Careful - might knock some sense into herself.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 AM

Youtube is banned by the Great Fire Wall at the moment so we are not supposed to see anything interesting. There are ways, of course, but it is just more of a bother. I think it all started back where there were those riots in Tibet and people started to take embarassing films footage and stuck it on the internet.

Anyway, people are getting so clever at making their own movies that you cannot tell what is real sometimes. I must be getting old....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal