Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,878,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
RE: gsoboi's comments: "No one can deny that in 1942 this country was paranoid about an invasion on US soil."

No one can deny that putting 1400 rounds in the vicinity of a natural phenomenon that is mistaken as a ufo will not bring it down, for there is nothing to bring down.

No one can deny that all one has to say is that anything "is a government cover-up" to give it credibility. People are so damn gullible to any suggestion if one even hints as 'government cover-up'.
First off, gsoboi, as a career scientist, I don't automatically discount anything, but I also look for some rational level of credibility, and your persistent idea that there were visitors on the moon, when they could have been here, is flawed. We have literally no evidence to support your hypothesis, in fact.

Second, we need some evidence beyond what you claim. As for all the UFO sightings, none of them has yet (and this is really odd to my mind..) EVER produced any sort of high quality pix or videos.

Or if they do find such photos, we also find evidence of PhotoShopping. I watched a show on alien craft last week, and when the inverstigators worked the video down to the pixel level, the Mexican homeowner's videos clearly showed he'd manipulated, and poorly, the file info.

So, repeatedly, and semingly for the shear publicity of it all, people do such things to glorify their boring lives. I for one am getting tired of it all, since there's also a pretty good technical argument by some of the bright boys at NASA, that it's highly unlikely any other lifeforms could have gotten here when they must all be based so far away, even the closest-possible ones. Oh, and again, there's not one shred of credible evidence to date, now is there?

Dream on ,m'boy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 12:18 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,600,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
This "weather balloon" must defy the laws of physics. Why would the Army even be firing at a weather balloon in the first place?
1. Defies the laws of physics? What laws are you talking about? Have you seen any clear footage of the event?

2. The Japanese launched thousands of balloon bombs to attack North America. A group of young people were killed by one after discovering it along the Oregon coast. About 9000 of these balloons were launched. Most fell into the ocean, but around 300 of them made it to the US. It's an understandable reason why the Army would fire at a balloon.

BLY -- JAPANESE BALLOON BOMB INCIDENT OF WORLD WAR II - YouTube

Japanese Balloon Bombs - WW2 Attack on the US - YouTube

Old 11-20-2011, 08:37 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,913,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
I think its the same reasons they are covering up UFOs. You can't tell part of the story without telling the whole story. But I think the discoveries could have some serious implications on our origins and could shake up mainstream creation stories of today's modern religions. The human story may not have began on Earth. What if it were to come out that today's modern humans are hybrid ape/aliens? We still have not found the missing link in the so called evolution theory. That by itself is enough reason to keep it secret. But of course there are other BIG reasons why they would keep this secret. (panic, political and economic reasons)
If Aliens are real and exist then it puts the validity of religion in extreme question. It explains our advancement in technology, warfare, and in life.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:30 PM

896 posts, read 1,861,232 times
Quote:
I think the 1942 Battle of Los Angeles encounter is the most clearest case of a real UFO..
Interesting: Battle of Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 PM

Default Wrong Interpretation, gsoboi!

Now if gsoboi can actually be enticed to read your Wiki article, northsider, then he might just reign in his furtuhl imagination and re-tether it!

This was, obviously not as claimed by him:

"I think the 1942 Battle of Los Angeles encounter is the most clearest case of a real UFO.."

...because if it truly were "the clearest case" indicator, he actually doesn't have a case.

The American public was (justifiably) paranoid right about then. After all, it was just post-Pearl Harbor, where we were surprised by a force that we were told could not have existed.

UFOs, yes, by the strictest definition. But aliens? Sorry, nope. No Go, No Show.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:34 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,162,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
1. Defies the laws of physics? What laws are you talking about? Have you seen any clear footage of the event?

2. The Japanese launched thousands of balloon bombs to attack North America. A group of young people were killed by one after discovering it along the Oregon coast. About 9000 of these balloons were launched. Most fell into the ocean, but around 300 of them made it to the US. It's an understandable reason why the Army would fire at a balloon.

BLY -- JAPANESE BALLOON BOMB INCIDENT OF WORLD WAR II - YouTube

Japanese Balloon Bombs - WW2 Attack on the US - YouTube
YOu still have not answered how 1400 rounds can't bring a balloon down with direct hits Its very easy to say oh it was just a balloon or swamp gas. But it doesn't make it so.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,600,072 times
Quote:
YOu still have not answered how 1400 rounds can't bring a balloon down with direct hits Its very easy to say oh it was just a balloon or swamp gas. But it doesn't make it so.
Swamp gas? Give me a break. I didn't say it was swamp gas or a balloon. You asked why the Army would fire at a balloon, and I explained why. People were not in a mood to take any chances. There was a war going on.

Frankly, in the images I've seen of the LA incident, it's really hard to make much of anything out from it. The only photo I've seen of the event was from an LA newspaper headline article dating back almost 70 years which obviously doesn't make a very clear picture. It shows some spotlights shining upward which very likely could have been directed at overhead clouds. Sometimes clouds can product weird shapes, especially if you have several spotlights shining from different directions in the same general area. At the time the photo was taken, there could also have been quite of bit of smoke from the weapons fired. I'm not saying that's what it was, just that there are other explanations besides a UFO (ET controlled flying saucer). I dunno, were there any radar images of the UFO? Was it over land or was it over the ocean?

Here's the thing. Again, keep in mind that a war was going on at the time, and that Japan had launched balloon bomb attack at the USA mainland, a few hundred of which had actually reached the USA, some as far as Michigan (I think). The reason why the one in Oregon exploded killing several people, is because one of the kids found it hanging from a tree and tried pulling it down, and the bombs exploded. The point is that people were aware of the danger of these weapons.

With regard to the LA incident, it wouldn't take much to set off a wave of fear. Someone could have noticed a strange formation, resulting from various shadows from the lights, let out an alarm of a possible threat, and ground weapons fired at it. Since it didn't drop out of the sky, more rounds would have been fired to no avail. Why would they have stopped firing at some point? Clouds don't tend to hold any particular shape for long. Once the shape changed because of movement, the so-called UFO shape would have disappeared. Is that what happened? I don't know. But I've given a plausible example.

BTW, you didn't answer my first question. What laws of physics were defied that you were talking about?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:13 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,087,764 times
all the so-called proof is always the same things -

Fuzzy photos

or

a great camp fire story....

Old 11-30-2011, 01:28 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,491,952 times
^ Yes, that is kind of strange, isn't it? You'd think that in all the years since photography was invented, there would be a couple of sharp, crisp photos of UFOs. Unless, of course, NASA is preventing them from being released--a conspiracy within a conspiracy!

Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Default Plinka-Plinka Plinka.....

The article provided on balloon "flights" clearly account for those mere 1400 rounds, and to be sure, if there were any number of those Japanese incendiary balloons launched off the decks of a sub (as was also confirmed way up west of The Queen Charlotte Islands off of the northern B.C. coast during WW-II), and if you have some understanding of anti-aircraft gunnery, such a thing represents, in fact, a rather paltry "fire-for-effect!" effort.

A quad mounted A-A gun can easily fire 1000 rounds a minute! Two of them? Two thousand. And what if there were, oh let's say, 10 such mounts, all manned by really paranoid, scared and patriotic-boffo American service men who'd been told "This is it, boys! The Nips are coming! Fire away!"? What then, pray tell? As well, these guns are NOT fired "sniper-style", but rather "fire hose" style. Lots of hot lead in the air, and you just hope some land on target. Especially when it was at night, and apparently they had no idea of "the range to target". Check out the footage of The War in the Pacific when our boys were shooting at incoming kamikaze flights.

1400 rounds. Oh WOW!

Image Detail for - http://antiaircraft.org/aaimages/m51.jpg

1400 rounds. Whoop-Dee-Doo!! Heck; I fire off 500 7.62mm reloads when I take my M1A down to the range for the day, and I'm purty sure that such numbers are NOT any sort of proof of UFOs crammed with salivatin' aliens!

Image Detail for - http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/simpsons-aliens-kang-kodos.png

"Lookout Frank! HaHa! They're firing those damned puny Ack-Ack guns at us again! I should give 'em a short molecular-disrupter burst over their bow just to scare 'em, huh? But still.. I wonder why did they stop at a mere 1400 rounds?"

Last edited by rifleman; 11-30-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal