Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:22 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Not really. Thousands have the same 'story'.

Yeppers... you saw a UFO. An Unidentified Flying Object. Nothing more... nothing less.
yeah. exactly. but it was wierd & fun. so i'm one of the thousands. are you?

Kate

Old 09-13-2009, 03:58 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
yeah. exactly. but it was wierd & fun. so i'm one of the thousands. are you?

Kate
I sure have Kate. But like thunder & lightning, eclipses etc I consider them to be natural phenomena, but which just haven't been pinned down scientifically yet.

Anyway... sure aren't we used to seeing little green men here in Ireland... Leprechauns. :-)

Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
UFOs are here for a reason, and you understand that they have been reported by both joe public, various world militaries, and even astronauts. They have been chased by fighter pilots, and even have been tracked on submarine sonars below the surface of the sea. The reports are to numerous to mention, yet to deny their existance really requires you to bury your head in the sand.
Maybe the aliens on the flying saucers are the reason there are so many questions you can't answer about how noah pulled off the big boat cruise.

Wow after your answer today that you believe that dinosaurs were on noah's ark, now this ....................

Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Ah wouldn't say thet. Summa them thar beat up ol' trayler parks down those gravel roads fulla potholes seem ta draw them durn ETs like a magnet. Sez so right heer.

Attachment 48456
Man, I sure miss the Weekly World News, best newspaper in history of media!

Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I tried hard to stay out of this but I can't.

UFO's is one of those things that have interested me, like fringe-sciences. And I looked into the factual support.
It's unproven. That is really because there's no hard evidence, despite somewhat doubtful attempts to claim that Offworld Artefacts (OWA's) have been found and which completely confounded the scientists. But theres no way of checking the claims and the artefacts tend to mysteriously disappear.

The sightings are anecdotal and often, and I mean often, very dodgy. Photos are either too fuzzy to be anything but fakes or too clear to be anything but other kinds of fakes. It is a bit hard to know what would be accepted as real.

There's the constant question of why the buggers don't just land on the White House lawn if they want to make contact and all sorts of reasons are made up by the UFO apologists (who of course don't really know) very much like excuses made for why JesusGod simply doesn't turn up on a TV chat -show and let us all know about it.

The result of my looking is to persuade me that, poor though it is, there's a lot better evidence for UFO's than for Biblegod AkA Jesus and that the UFO apologetics are remarkably like those for God, for Atlantis, for Gods from Outer space, Bigfoot, Nessie or Astrology.

Science is often denounced as closed -minded and, yes, some of the hard-core debunkers are prone to coming up with any argument to dismiss what Charles Fort called 'Dammned facts'; even to cherry - picking the evidence so as to dismiss the whole thing. Yes, even 'scientists' can be illogical and not objective.

That's when I coined the term Culthink. It is the back - to front, science-accusing, prove-me-wrong type of thinking that is common to religion, cults, fringe-science, the occult - enthusiasts and what is genenically referred to as nuts or whackjobs. In the end, I came to realize that such thinking is more common than logical thinking. It is found in racism, homophobia, politics (oh yes), advertising, all manner of propaganda and in all walks of life down to the neighbour relating a self - justifying tale of her row with the checkout girl.

So UFO's. Maybe there are UFO's, and some of the reports from people who out be know what they see and should be reliable - airline pilots are particularly persuasive.

Of course, UFO just means some flying (or amy aerial object) that is not identified, just as 'evolution' is correctly defined as the model for the development of life, but the term is used by the cultists, shall we say, to denote a general body of alien vehicles, alien and piloted, and associated hard, supertechnological and even apparently supernatural (1) occurrences, as 'evolution' is used to denote any naturalist explation for how everthing came to be without Goddunnit.

UFO investigation is often marred by poor methodology leading to near - falsification. Recent example, an account of African children who saw a saucer -type object land and apparenly alien (2) occupant(s) come out. It was soon clear to me that the investigator had chosen the 'best' witness to provide the bulk of the story.
It is hard to avoid the suspicion that the pupil with the best imagination and who had heard about Flying Saucers and slant - eyed greys, provided the most UFO -friendly story and the invesigator cherry - picked the other reports to asemble the bits that matched into a coherent report, just as the Christopologists fudge the Gospels onto a coherent single story. It seems quite a reasonable thing to do, using the 'witnesses don't always agree' yardstick.

There's also a history of faked photographs and false stories, for all that some diehards continually pop up to argue that Adamski's Venusians and UMMO could be true after all, if we just rewrite the story to fit the facts.
By 'Venusians', say some other planet. Couldn't tell us where they REALLY came from. We wouldn't believe, would we? Or maybe from a Venus in the past. Or the future, or any damn' thing to make Adamski's story work.

In the same way, Bible -apologists fiddle around to make the Jesus story or Genesis creation work, or just dismiss the details and appeal to argument from 'big picture' (3)

(1) another cultword meaning having a ghostly, demonaic or quasi-divine appearance

(2) another cultword meaning from another world or dimension.

(3) another cultword meaning believe whatever is believable and explain away whatever doesn't fit. Or just ignore it, Kidbrick style.
Alimentary, my dear Arequipa, Alimentary (notice I didn't write elementary. - and I make no apologist's apology, or any other apology - very boorish drivel indeed - tea and crumpets, anyone?)

Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,006 times
I learned all I ever needed to know about UFO pictures when I was about 12 years-old. Me and a friend of mine, with the help of his older brother--who was maybe 16--decided to make a UFO pic. So my buddy's bro tossed a trash can lid up in the air as high as he could and I snapped a pic with one of those old Kodak Land Cameras. The pic was in black & white! Now, to me, this is about as primitive of a hoax attempt as one could ever ask for: three dumb kids with a cheap camera and a metal trash can lid. Well, out of about five pics, one came out pretty good; it just looked like a silvery, slightly-blurred disc, or, in the parlance of the times: a Flying Saucer! LOL.
Well, my bud's brother submitted this pic to the local paper--we were living in San Bernadino, CA at the time, so whatever their local paper was in the mid-70's--and they actually published it!
Since then, whenever I see a UFO pic I think back on that day and just smile.
(Let me add here: I'm a huge astronomy & cosmoolgy buff, and I honestly think that the odds are excellent that their is intelligent life out there, given the billions and billions of planets. I just think that the distances are far too great for any of them to reach us--over 4 light-years to the nearest star--especially for them just to do come all that way to see us just for a fly-by.)

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 01-21-2010 at 09:44 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM

257 posts, read 407,668 times
Evidence, such as videos, of unidentified flying objects are not fake. I've seen a couple of things in the sky I couldn't figure out before as well.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I learned all I ever needed to know about UFO pictures when I was about 12 years-old. Me and a friend of mine, with the help of his older brother--who was maybe 16--decided to make a UFO pic. So my buddy's bro tossed a trash can lid up in the air as high as he could and I snapped a pic with one of those old Kodak Land Cameras. The pic was in black & white! Now, to me, this is about as primitive of a hoax attempt as one could ever ask for: three dumb kids with a cheap camera and a metal trash can lid. Well, out of about five pics, one came out pretty good; it just looked like a silvery, slightly-blurred disc, or, in the parlance of the times: a Flying Saucer! LOL.
Well, my bud's brother submitted this pic to the local paper--we were living in San Bernadina, CA at the time, so whatever their local paper was in the mid-70's--and they actually published it!
Since then, whenever I see a UFO pic I think back on that day and just smile.
(Let me add here: I'm a huge astronomy & cosmoolgy buff, and I honestly think that the odds are excellent that their is intelligent life out there, given the billions and billions of planets. I just think that the distances are far too great for any of them to reach us--over 4 light-years to the nearest star--especially for them just to do come all that way to see us just for a fly-by.)
I agree with you. Also, another day on Discovery Channel, they were showing pictures of UFO's and flying saucers, and one of them that supposedly couldn't be proven to be a hoax looked to me exactly like one of those old style light fixtures, one my granny had in her house years ago. Heck, could have even been exact same fixture, so appeared the image on t.v. I for one believe in possiblity of extraterrestials and UFO's, but this one looked more like something I could flip switch on and light up.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
mexico is the epicenter of fake ufo vids,>> but if you realy want to see the real ufos then you must come under the ross ice shelf, and see the octupulan under water ufo base please bring your foul weather gear

Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
mexico is the epicenter of fake ufo vids,>> but if you realy want to see the real ufos then you must come under the ross ice shelf, and see the octupulan under water ufo base please bring your foul weather gear
Is Octupulous anywhere near Squidopolis? Have a great evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal