U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,446,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
dukester2: I really enjoy the show, 'Ghost Whisperer', and wondered since you both are mediums, does the show come close to portraying what you experience?
Well, it IS a TV show! I have no idea what Angel Bear thinks, however, I tend to be very down-to-earth, pragmatic, and I'm not into the "New Age," so I'm not typical in that way. I never took classes to be a medium; I just have these experiences (and so do my sisters, and my grandmother did), so we kind of just accept them. I think these tv shows actually do a disservice to true mediumship -- I feel they are taken to the extreme.

I can send you a PM if you want to see some of what I have written about my experiences (just let me know -- PM me). I have had some very weird and strange experiences, but...I do tend to keep my feet on the ground, so I think that I may be a bit different in that way. I also never tried to be this way, it just happened all my life, so I never thought much about it.

I only started giving readings by chance. A "spirit" of someone I worked with "came" to me one night (years ago) and I had no idea who he was, but I knew whom he "belonged" to. Long story short, I was "followed" by this spirit for three days, I didn't actually know this person who was in our department, and I refused to go up to this person and announce that I had a "ghost" with me for him -- it is a rather straight organization (law enforcement).

I finally told the spirit that I would not contact this individual, and I wouldn't leave a message for him, nor would I call him. I told the spirit if he really wanted me to talk to him then HE (the spirit) would have to arrange it from HIS side! Well, lo and behold, the next morning when I got to work, here was this individual who worked in a different building in the parking lot next to me, whom I hardly ever saw -- and we were alone. So....I introduced myself, and talked a little bit -- chit chat -- then steered the conversation into more philosophical things, and finally steered it into a way that I could casually ask if he believed in metaphysics/parapsychology. Well....he did! I was surprised. And then I said, "Well, I have a message for you." Sure enough this spirit was quickly recognized -- including the clothing he was wearing, and after that this individual asked if I would do a full reading for him. I told him I didn't do that, that I just responded to what happened spontaneously.

He kept pushing me until I agreed. I said I'd "pretend to do a reading," and then as I sat with him all this "information" came out. But I (thought) swore him to secrecy. The next day, he showed up at my office door and started mouthing silently that another person in the department "needed a reading!" I couldn't believe he did that! Well, as you can imagine, word got around, and suddenly I was swamped with requests.

I am just too busy with raising my daughter and my full-time job to do much, but I have done quite a few group readings (easier to read for a lot of people in one day with all my time constraints) which were very, very interesting (with others who attended also having "contact" during the group).

I have always conducted my readings and myself in a very down-to-earth way, I don't do psychic fairs or anything like that, and if you ran into me in a store or something, you'd probably never guess I can do what I do. Maybe when I retire I'll do more.

So....back to your question -- in my opinion, I feel those tv shows are exaggerated. (I have run into too many frauds, so I am very cautious in this field.) However, I do feel that they help to open people's minds to the possibility, and I actually like Ghost Whisperer because I like the story lines. I also like Medium, because it shows a normal mother with kids who can do that -- however, I also know that only the very first episode is based on her own experience -- the rest are screen writers. But hey, they're fun to watch and it allows people to know that some of us can be quite "normal" in most other aspects of our lives, but just happen to have this other ability.

I hope this helps!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 AM

800 posts, read 4,070,920 times
Yorkie,
I think that kids are very open to seeing and experiencing the signs from the Other Side. Kids haven't been told they are 'crazy' or anything yet so they don't have that filter like some adults Sometimes, deceased loved ones will give us signs and they can include scents, etc. My late gran used to wear the perfume Windsong so I'll smell that when she's giving me a 'holla'

Dukester2,
I like both "Medium" and "Ghostwhisperer" in general. I am sensitive to 'scary' themes, but that is just me, so I filter out what I'm too scared to watch LOL. I think every medium works differently, but the shows are bringing the awareness to the mainstream about the deceased loved ones I bet it makes the deceased loves ones happy LOL--they probably are excited that more people 'believe' in them

Wisteria,
I also am very down-to-earth and practical when it comes to mediumship. It feels as normal as riding my bike Ever since I was a kid, I've been aware of the other realms, but especially deceased loved ones and earthbound spirits. I tend to see the work more as a form of social work 'cause I'm just there to help everyone dialogue and talk...I'm merely the conduit It is humbling for me and I'm grateful to bring comfort to others. I've seen people have instantaneous healing from grief and sorrow, after many years of being depressed.

I also have experienced mediumship as a client. When my grandma died in 2001, I had a session with a medium and it was totally unexpected when my gran came through...It helped me to heal many years of sadness. I had talked to my grandma, but after seeing a medium, I was more able to grasp that the deceased loved ones really are alive--just in a different way

I consider myself a spiritual generalist or spiritual, but not religious. I don't like the word "New Age" because I believe we are currently living in the "New Age." I embrace all paths that are positive, loving, and bring light to the planet...I have done readings for people of all walks of life, including most of the major spiritual paths and religions

I don't do mediumship full-time, however. I also mix angel readings in with the work Variety is fun...I'm just grateful to be the messenger and to be of service to others...That is my main motivation--to bring love and healing to others

Hugs,
L

Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM

32,855 posts, read 18,709,815 times
Default Greetings Angel Bear and Wisteria,

I live out in the country in Oklahoma. We are in the Seminole, Creek nations area. I believe in spirit world and our home is host to a long standing mix of spirit activites.
My godfather, who is 74, gets the most interaction. We have singing, and sometimes barely audible voices who talk amongst themselves. We think they are Native American. They are usually active in the middle of the night and there is a definite flurry of activity over a period of two weeks or so, then a month or so of down time.

I have personally experienced two very definite phenomena. I would love to visit with a medium or have a reading. I don't initiate contact with our spirits, I more or less just accept them. One of our inside dogs (the older poodle) will signal an onset and usually alerts us by staring intently, and we just go on with our business.

Excellent thread and appreciate all the posts.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:43 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
In regard to selecting a medium for readings -- first, be cautious. There are way too many people out there who are "wannabes" and are not careful about what they do. I am sorry to be the voice of common sense, however, I have heard too many horror stories from people.

Also, keep in mind that it does not have to be a well-known person. Many natural mediums (those born that way, and often they do run in families), don't advertise, and only go by word-of-mouth. Also, if you are looking, be sure to ask people who have had readings what they were like.

The biggest thing: If a medium asks you ahead of time WHO you want to contact, and WHAT their relationship is to you -- run! A real medium does not need that information. That is not to say that every person you want to contact will come through -- sometimes they don't. My rule of thumb is, to NOT say anything beforehand to the medium. The less, the better.

For instance, when I read for people I take the first contacts I "see" or "hear." It may not be who they want right away. I may go with relatives, friends, co-workers, neighbors, whatever comes through. If by the end of the reading the individual they may have wanted the most doesn't come through...only then will I ask for a first name, and then "try to find" them. More often than not, though, most people a person is looking for will show up.

Some readings are so-so -- like anything, not every one is great. Some are mind-boggling in detail, sensory experiences, sounds, touch, etc. Unfortunately, one never knows how a reading will go when it starts.

I caution you with mediums who talk about past lives or spirit guides because if they cannot be proven (just my own measure I use), then I don't feel it is necessary. Sometimes they can be there, but for me, and I can only speak for me, I prefer to focus on those who CAN be verified.

Frequently, I will "see" a photograph of the individual, and after the reading, the person I am reading for will literally pull out that same photo and show it to me. I remember one woman when I described the photo of her little girl, and some very descriptive things, she said, "Okay, that's it -- I've got my proof! I don't even need more!" Another time, I did a large group reading, and I kept seeing this man with an orange serape over one shoulder with a large floppy hat. I had never met the people nor heard of them before I read for this group. As I described the man, I literally "felt" him placing this serape on my shoulder. It was very heavy, and I knew it was on one side and not both sides of his shoulder. I also was NOT charging for this group reading, so I had no vested interest.

At the end of the group, various details came forth, and one was of this young man -- the people I had brought him through for, (and they were not relatives of him, but friends) had also (unbeknownest to me) brought a photo of him in an envelope. They brought it to me afterwards, and as they pulled it out, here was an 8-1/2 " x 11" photo of this man with the floppy hat and an orange serape over his one shoulder! I couldn't believe it myself!

Sometimes very surprising things can happen. However, those who have had me read for them know that I do NOT want to know ANY information beforehand -- it is much easier to get clearer information not knowing anything ahead of time. I also ask people to "talk" to those whom they want to come through and tell them where they will be meeting with me, what time and place, so that "they" can also make the appointment.

And that is just another little piece of what I do.....as my "hobby."

Last edited by Wisteria; 05-05-2007 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-06-2007, 10:05 AM

393 posts, read 1,786,682 times
Default Angel Bear and Wisteria!

Do u know why some people crossover and some don't? I don't understand that........lol.

I saw my mother a few weeks after she died at the foot of my bed at night, and I saw her crossing over to my sisters bed(we roomed together, when we were little) and bend down and kiss her cheek.......The next morning I told her the oddest thing had happened and she said....."what, did u see mom too?"

Also, recently I saw a woman standing out in my driveway with a long dress, almost looked like a silk bathrobe and long flowing hair, she had a basket in the crook of her arm, and she had cats circling her. This scared me so bad, to see her standing there, that I slammed the door behind me! Then I ran to a window to get a better look and she was gone. My landlord told me there wasn't anyone fitting that description living in this trailer court.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Sillygal, that is soooooo sweet about your mother! How lucky you were to have that experience, and to share it with your sister!!

As for the lady with the cats, it's hard to say who she was. If there's no way to know if she lived around there, maybe you just accidentally saw through the veil to the other side. I think that spirits live parallel lives -- they work, and do things over there, just like here. So, maybe you somehow were able to see through that.

Sounds like you have some mediumistic abilities, yourself. (By the way, I believe your mother was just visiting, not earthbound by any means -- she obviously knew where she was and wanted to let you know she was still "alive" but in another dimension.) I find it is very comforting to have those experiences, because it seems to sort out this whole religious mess, and allows one to see a more unified world. Just like no one knows exactly about religion, so no one really knows what goes on the other side, either. We never know until we actually die -- until then, we are left to hypothesize.

As for earthbound spirits -- it's hard to say. I would guess that some are just attached to what they had before, or sometimes they may not even realize they're dead. If you do see someone like that, I generally say a prayer for God to come and get them, and tell them that I see them, and "it's okay," and that there is love waiting for them. That's the best you can do when we're stuck here and they're over there.

Thanks for the loving story!! How lucky!!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:49 PM

791 posts, read 1,716,295 times
Default Wisteria & Angel Bear

Thank you so much for sharing your gifts with us!!! There are so many of us out there that truly believe in spirits and would like so much to know that they ARE still with us and that it IS possible for some of us to contact them again.

I appreciate that you warning against 'wanna be's' also. I can't imagine anything worse than opening ones heart to seek contact, only to find out you'd been duped! What a heartbreak that would be.

Wisteria, don't worry about being 'Tarred & Feathered', I've got your back. And hopefully other believers here will too. Same goes for you Angel Bear! Although, I doubt you have anything to worry about. We're adults, well most of us, here, and we understand that everyone has their own belief system, and if their belief system differs, then that's just the way it is. No right, no wrong, just different. Right???? Right!!!!!!

I have a ghost story I'd like to tell.....when I was about 5 and my brother was 7, we were standing next to each other, looking out a window. We each had a glass of milk that we'd set on the window sill. We got distracted for a few seconds, and when we went to get our milk, his was on my side, and mine was on his side. The reason we knew they'd been switched, is because he was drinking Non-Fat milk, and I had Whole milk. Now it's over 40 yrs later, and I STILL ask him if he switched the milk. LOL And he SWEARS he didn't. Funny huh? Although I never saw a thing. I wish I had.

Oh well. I hope others will relate their stories too. It's nice to know our experiences aren't really that rare.

Keep up the good work ladies!!! Your gifts are appreciated more than you know, by those of us who truly believe.

Regards,
Boof

Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,533,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Oh, cool! Have you been to Lily Dale?? I love it there -- I've had a few interesting experiences there, too. I used to stay for a weekend at a time. It's such a nice, peaceful, interesting place. I considered buying a house there, but then I'd have to put up with those awful winters, and decided not to.

I was thinking that maybe the spirits were "dancing" along with you!! They probably were having some fun!

Two good things to remember with spirits: 1) they can't really hurt you -- they're in a whole other dimension and their connection is usually short, probably just because it's difficult to bridge the dimensions for a good length of time; 2) Secondly, you can assert yourself and tell them to "leave." If they feel you are scared or vulnerable, then they may take advantage of that. However, if you speak up and let them know you are assertive and won't take any guff, usually they comply.

It's quite fascinating to experience things like this, though. I never tire of it, and I find it so amazing and interesting, and I've never been afraid.

By the way, which mansion in Buffalo?? (Delaware Avenue?)
I never had the chance to get to Lily Dale. Some of my friends at work had always talked about going but we never found the time to go.

It's the Millonzi House at 71 Symphony Circle.

Hmm...I just googled it & it could NOT have been part of the Underground Railroad since the house was built in 1892. The history says it was a home for "helpless women" but I was told it was a brothel & sanatorium.

Well, I do know what I heard & felt. Another of my colleagues ran screaming from one of the stairwells when she said she suddenly felt cold air on her cheek & the whisper of her name in her ear.

The spirits were dancing with me? Perhaps. What I had heard was that there were a lot of tortured souls at Millonzi House. I always said that as long as the symphony kept their offices there, the orchestra would never get past their terrible financial woes. They finally moved a few years ago across the street to the Birge Mansion.

Here's a photo of Millonzi House:

http://www.richmondavenue.org/images/P2080010rda.jpg

The door past the stairwell was the studio where I played the piano & heard the banging
http://freenet.buffalo.edu/bah/a/sym/71/image/09.jpg (broken link)

I was miserable in Buffalo but the architecture was amazing! I can only imagine the spirits roaming around some of those mansions on Delaware!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 AM

800 posts, read 4,070,920 times
Wisteria,
I completely agree with how you work I'm similar. I don't really advertise--I tend to work via word of mouth as well. I also don't like to get any information from my clients prior to our work together It comes through more clearly and brings more 'integrity' to the work IMHO

I do believe in spirit guides as well as past lives. It is a part of my personal belief system. However, I don't consider that work as mediumship. I also don't identify people's guides and past lives in my other intuitive work or readings because I feel it's more empowering for clients to discover them

In my work, I try to empower others as much as possible to make the connections to their deceased loved ones so they don't need to keep hiring me, etc. My goal is basically to put myself out of business

Other notes...
I really believe that everyone is born with intuitive gifts. Sometimes, we're told as children that we're making it up or that we're crazy. But, you can recover and tap into this source of intuition, guidance and insights. It's in our DNA, in my humble opinion. In the future, I hope that people will become more and more comfortable with honoring that side of themselves. For me, I was lucky because I never lost my connection to my childhood, etc. I have an "Outer Child"--hee hee! That is what helps me stay connected to Spirit...I'm very joyful and like to have fun, which feels like also a connection to my right-brain, so the intuitive skills feel very natural to me, just like any other daily activity. But, I'm not always 'on.' I do shield myself and tune out when I am "off duty" or in a public place because it's too overwhelming for me, etc.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM

19,323 posts, read 26,065,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Wisteria,
I completely agree with how you work I'm similar. I don't really advertise--I tend to work via word of mouth as well. I also don't like to get any information from my clients prior to our work together It comes through more clearly and brings more 'integrity' to the work IMHO

I do believe in spirit guides as well as past lives. It is a part of my personal belief system. However, I don't consider that work as mediumship. I also don't identify people's guides and past lives in my other intuitive work or readings because I feel it's more empowering for clients to discover them

In my work, I try to empower others as much as possible to make the connections to their deceased loved ones so they don't need to keep hiring me, etc. My goal is basically to put myself out of business

Other notes...
I really believe that everyone is born with intuitive gifts. Sometimes, we're told as children that we're making it up or that we're crazy. But, you can recover and tap into this source of intuition, guidance and insights. It's in our DNA, in my humble opinion. In the future, I hope that people will become more and more comfortable with honoring that side of themselves. For me, I was lucky because I never lost my connection to my childhood, etc. I have an "Outer Child"--hee hee! That is what helps me stay connected to Spirit...I'm very joyful and like to have fun, which feels like also a connection to my right-brain, so the intuitive skills feel very natural to me, just like any other daily activity. But, I'm not always 'on.' I do shield myself and tune out when I am "off duty" or in a public place because it's too overwhelming for me, etc.
raven hair, and ruby lips, sparks fly from her fingertips.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal