Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 08:12 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I just heard on CNN that charges are going to be filed (class 3 misdemeanor) against the father and he could serve jail time. I hope they throw the book at him (and am not convinced his wife wasnt in on it either). What a poor example to set for the kids.
They are also looking into federal charges, which could be a felony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
Some of my questions that I have yet to hear asked or answered:

* Why was the balloon liftoff in the backyard being video recorded when according to Richard Heene the "plan" was for the balloon to be tested by only going up 20-30ft above the ground and be retained from going higher by tethers?

* If the balloon was to be held level at 20-30ft above the ground - why were all the tethers completely loosened from attachment points? (To keep the balloon level the multiple tethers seen spaced equally around the 360 degree diameter would have to be tied-off to something on the ground. The two adults (Heene & wife) could not have been expected to hold the multiple tethers by hand to keep the balloon level.)

* Who was recording the balloon liftoff? (The video camera shows it was not on a fixed mount because the camera appears to pan in-and-out and move direction to follow the action.)

* Why did Heene not call 9-1-1 first instead of calling a local television station and the FAA?

* Why were the Heene children not attending school on the day (Thursday) the balloon was set adrift?

* Why did Heene's wife refer to the balloon as a "UFO" when talking with the 9-1-1 operator and authorities if the balloon was made for weather related use?

Old 10-17-2009, 09:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Some of my questions that I have yet to hear asked or answered:

* Why was the balloon liftoff in the backyard being video recorded when according to Richard Heene the "plan" was for the balloon to be tested by only going up 20-30ft above the ground and be retained from going higher by tethers?

* If the balloon was to be held level at 20-30ft above the ground - why were all the tethers completely loosened from attachment points? (To keep the balloon level the multiple tethers seen spaced equally around the 360 degree diameter would have to be tied-off to something on the ground. The two adults (Heene & wife) could not have been expected to hold the multiple tethers by hand to keep the balloon level.)

* Who was recording the balloon liftoff? (The video camera shows it was not on a fixed mount because the camera appears to pan in-and-out and move direction to follow the action.)

* Why did Heene not call 9-1-1 first instead of calling a local television station and the FAA?

* Why were the Heene children not attending school on the day (Thursday) the balloon was set adrift?

* Why did Heene's wife refer to the balloon as a "UFO" when talking with the 9-1-1 operator and authorities if the balloon was made for weather related use?
I think school was out that day. Did she call it a UFO? I only heard the call once. I remember the operator asking if it was a plane... I don't know. As for the rest of your questions... I have no idea, and am wondering, too. I figured one of the other boys was video taping the lift off.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
It is real unlikely anybody is going to serve jail time for this mistake/mishap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I just heard on CNN that charges are going to be filed (class 3 misdemeanor) against the father and he could serve jail time. I hope they throw the book at him (and am not convinced his wife wasnt in on it either). What a poor example to set for the kids.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
This was more of a danger to aircrafts than to anybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVOBAMA View Post
I think the entire thing was criminal. The little boy stated they did it for a show during the interview. There is no way that thing could have lifted that little boy that high. They knew he wasn't in it.

If charges aren't brought, shame on them! I'm going to sue. That's two hours of my life I'll never get back!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think school was out that day. Did she call it a UFO? I only heard the call once. I remember the operator asking if it was a plane... I don't know. As for the rest of your questions... I have no idea, and am wondering, too. I figured one of the other boys was video taping the lift off.
According to the news, she said her son was floating in a flying saucer. Maybe she was genuinely upset, but the whole story is very strange. Here is the 911 call

[url=http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,567720,00.html]TRANSCRIPT: Frantic 911 Call From Parents of 'Balloon Boy' - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com[/url]

Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 AM

480 posts, read 877,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
According to the news, she said her son was floating in a flying saucer. Maybe she was genuinely upset, but the whole story is very strange. Here is the 911 call

TRANSCRIPT: Frantic 911 Call From Parents of 'Balloon Boy' - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
Yes, she called it a "flying saucer," which I think is a fair description. Just calling it a balloon or weather balloon doesn't seem to describe it as well. I saw a couple of headlines that called it a "UFO," which seems silly, as it was definitely identified.

The kids were out of school because it was an in-service day for teachers.

I think the wife and children are victims of Richard Heene, who's an obvious nutcase. I still think it's quite possible that he drugged Falcon (Benadryl, perhaps) so that the boy would stay quiet and asleep.

Of course it's just speculation, but at this point, I don't put anything past Richard Heene. He has an lust for publicity.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 AM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post

Of course it's just speculation, but at this point, I don't put anything past Richard Heene. He has an lust for publicity.
No question about it.

Heene is Joe The Plumber with a balloon.

But, Hey! - At least he found a use for his hot air.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
No question about it.

Heene is Joe The Plumber with a balloon.

But, Hey! - At least he found a use for his hot air.
Not fair. Obama was the one who approached Joe,...not the other way around. After the video of the statements, it was the talkshow press who called to talk with him. I won't excuse anything that happened after the initial talk shows.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:25 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Default Sheriff in "flag shirt" handling Balloon Case

I found it amusing (even cute perhaps) that the sheriff handling the "boy not in the balloon" case chose a flag shirt to make a major national press conference yesterday

Did anyone else see this most interesting piece of clothing?

Is this gentleman well liked and respected? Just curious since we are seeing so much of him on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal