Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:06 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I am using this as an example. If some how aliens did make contact with our or another countries government (which in my opinion would be a real mistake on the aliens part if they were looking for other intelligent people. ) or if a government run program found a 100% environmentally safe, easily renewable power source that would put oil czars in the poor house, or a way to fly that would put air lines out of business, etc. Should any government have the right to keep it from the general population of the world?
I am of the thought that what the CIA, FBI or NID are investigating is really none of our business because what they do needs to be kept secret so they can accomplish keeping us safe. But as far as technology, earthen or not, and such, why should it be up to the governments of the world why or if it should be disclosed?

You used intelligent people and what they do needs to be kept secret so they can accomplish keeping us safe in the same post. In a land where border patrol is an issue. Bwaahahaahaha. (meant in a lighthearded way-as I have the giggles).

Actually, it is our business. I say this because, lets say that we have this advanced species that has made contact and this would have been ongoing for the past 60 years. In that time frame, there are a vast amount of events that we haven't been protected from. Its not possible. This means that the only thing that we could have been protected from is ourselves.

Having reflected on that, that is a pretty good point. All things considered, there is a lot of stupid stuff that might get in the way.

I think the real reason would be silence for the opportunity to exploit said species. A specific type of car was not allowed to be produced until 2016 thus giving oil czars the ability to bank while they can. If I remember this correctly. So, I don't think that right comes into play anymore or less than it ever has been.

We have the answer to clean water, food supply, and basic medical care and apparently that cannot be shared with our own earth population. It is exploited. We can't seem to use what we have, now. What difference does it make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 02:42 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,006 times
Well, this faux article almost had me goin' until it mentioned that we found ruins on the moon. Anyone remotetly familar with astronomy would know the moon is not and has never been a candidate for intelligent life, and even if it had, we would have discovered it long ago. The REAL problem with ET life is not that it exists: with thoudands of billions of likely planets in the universe, it almost surely does (Google the Drake Equation). The problem is the distance between us and them. We know the planets in our solar system to be uninhabitable. Therefore life must come from another system, i.e. star system. The nearest star is over four light-years away! That's four years travel time at the speed of light, which is impossible as we know it.
Naw, this article is a hoax, but pretty well done. They simply over-reached with credibility with the moon thing.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
I'd love for it to happen, but it'll never happen.

With 70% of Americans, and over 60% of the world believing in a God, the reveal that we are not alone would be devastating to civilization as we know it.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

With 70% of Americans, and over 60% of the world believing in a God, the reveal that we are not alone would be devastating to civilization as we know it.
Not really. I believe in God, I also believe we can not be the only intelligent life in these universes. Why would God make only one testing ground??
Are we the most intelligent and far advanced? Or are we the dumbest of them all? Who knows. I may never know in my life time. But it would still tick me off if "our governments" though we were too stupid to keep it from us that it is true and we have made contact.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:11 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:

Most of the religions I've bothered studying believe that (paraphrasing) 'God created worlds without end' (meaning there are many other places and many other beings). I don't see the conflict. Just as I don't see the conflict with evolution.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:

With 70% of Americans, and over 60% of the world believing in a God, .
That gullibility and wishful-thinking factor also explains why so many people believe that we are visited by intelligent beings from another star system.

I would also doubt your figure that 60% of the world believes in a God as as the Christian faithful describe Him. India and China make up 40% alone, and they do not have a central personal monotheistic deity at their center.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That gullibility and wishful-thinking factor also explains why so many people believe that we are visited by intelligent beings from another star system.

I would also doubt your figure that 60% of the world believes in a God as as the Christian faithful describe Him. India and China make up 40% alone, and they do not have a central personal monotheistic deity at their center.
I didn't mean the Christian God, just that 60% of the world believes in a "God" of some sort.

The problem with extraterrestrial life, is that it proves evolution. Life can evolve on another planet. Without doubt, if a alien species came to this planet, they would be more advanced than our species. They would have a better understanding of all of our evolution then we do.

Those things would conflict with religion.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
No they wouldn't (some perhaps, but not all). Do you think that if there were a God, he/she/it would be so very stupid as to not understand the basic idea of evolution?

I love how people are so sure about something that cannot possibly have a clue about (including myself). My claim that there is a giant beach ball on the other side of the galaxy running the show is just as valid as anything you can dream up. Nobody knows. Period. (until they're dead--then we'll find out, or not)

Old 10-31-2009, 04:11 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
I think we are missing the big picture here.

Teleporters and theme music.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
I didn't mean the Christian God, just that 60% of the world believes in a "God" of some sort.

The problem with extraterrestrial life, is that it proves evolution. Life can evolve on another planet. Without doubt, if a alien species came to this planet, they would be more advanced than our species. They would have a better understanding of all of our evolution then we do.

I don't see where a person's belief in God needs to be shaken by the suspicion that God also created beings on other planets which are not like us, because their bodies are based on Silicon and Nitrogen instead of Carbon and Oxygen, in order to withstand temperatures in the thousands of degrees, which God created as such in order to make those lifeforms feel comfortable and thankaful for His bounty.

By the way, 40% of the world lives in China or India. In China, probably less than a quarter of the population consider themselves religious at all, and a great majority of those are Buddhist or Taoist, neither of which acknowledge a supreme creator as being relevant to their belief. Nearly all major sects of India's Hinduism are polytheist, and recognize many gods, not just one.

At least half of Europe has drifted into some form of irreligious atheism or agnosticism. Most Christianized Africans have just added Christ and God as a rider to their pre-Christians faith, which they still strongly adhere to, with all its gods and animist spirits. They just shake their heads at those westerners who believe that two things cannot be both true of they contradict one another. Something like "God didn't need to be created, but the universe did."

Last edited by jtur88; 10-31-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal