Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus18 View Post
Yes I realize motion blur of the anomaly itself doesn't require the whole photo to be blurred, if its moving so fast that it travels a certain distance while the camera shutter is open. that was what I said in my EDIT.
It may not be anything moving, but something like a speck or a straw that the camera TTLed on (this is why I would have liked to see EXIF)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM

97 posts, read 274,788 times
Default jailhouse

Yes I went and the most haunted place I think is the lighthouse basement. I have pics of an old civil war era man. And I have been smothered pretty bad twice on two different occasions. He will get on you and smother and drain your energy.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARRELL-N-FLORIDA View Post
I have done a lot of hunting, the best place I have found in Florida is the Saint Augustine lighthouse and the lighthouse keepers home. I have experienced a lot there.
Well the whole town is just simply old it was founded in the 1450's, that is the oldest town in America.
If your ever in Fl try the ghost tours and so on.
Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
IF YOU GO TO ST AUGUSTINE--GO TO THE OLD JAILHOUSE TOUR----one of its former occupants is still there inside on the second cell level
I did go to St. Augustine a few years back and did the Ghost tour as well as the Jail House tour.

Lame.

The only thing that happened was near the drugstore, we were in a room, all of us standing or sitting on the benches around the walls. A lady guide was talking and being all dramatic, (it was for fun, right?), the room was dark, just a little candle and we were sitting there quietly, enjoying the story.

Next thing you know, there's commotion. Seems a girl passed out. It was a little hot, (this was June), in the room as the door was closed and there was no a/c, she had been standing and must have locked her knees and down she went. They took her out of the room to outside to cool her off.

Apparently, during this commotion, another girl was feeling sick, walked outside and promptly slipped off the curb of the sidewalk and injured herself.

That was the extent of anything happening on the tour. We went to the Jailhouse at night, I went to the Jail house during the day...not a thing happened.

I would not consider St. Augstine's ghost tours to be legit but more just something fun to do.

I am open minded enough to believe in ghostly things as I've had unexplainable experiences and yes, as someone said earlier, if you dare tell anyone, they think you're weird or crazy or just plain stupid. I know what I experienced. It wasn't anything I saw, it was sound and it was motion...as in, bed shaking, once when I was about 6 and once when I was about 12 or 13 or so. When I was 6, the bed was shaking so violently that I screamed bloody murder I was so scared. My father came running down the hall, I told him what happened and he tried to find some logical explanation for it but it didn't explain what happened. It explained it if the bed flipped up and back down once, not repeatedly.

The time it happened when I was 12 or so, was just a corner, like someone was standing at the end of the bed, put their foot up on the corner and was wiggling it. Along with some strange noises from the heating vent. Kids were all in bed, mom and dad downstairs watching t.v. I could hear the t.v. and hear them talking so what the hell was that squeaking in the heating vent followed by my bed shaking?

I've had various t.v.s, different models and different times, just up and turn themselves off and back on. That s*** is freaky. It even happened to a t.v. that was my roommates, but, OF COURSE, she wasn't there at the time to witness. This turning off thing has happened with at least 5 televisions, one from when I lived in Germany, 3 from the time I lived in Seattle and one from when I lived in Miami. Again, all different locations, all different televisions. How to explain that coincidence?

I have never seen anything and frankly, I don't think I want to. I think I would drop dead from fright. The motion and the sound was enough for me, thank you.

Having said all of that, I am highly skeptical of most things put out there as "evidence". I do like to watch TAPS because they always try to disprove what they find instead of, as was said earlier, counting every mouse fart, (lol), creaky board and wind gust as evidence of ghosts.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
October 1990 there was a major steam leak on the USS Iwo Jima LPH-2. Ten engineers were killed, six died instantly and four died later. My orders for the ship came right after the accident. Went abord the ship about a month after the accident and some guys were still screaming in their sleep from the nightmares of what they saw. They were sent into the fire room (aka boiler room) to retrieve the bodies of their friends. Because of all the constant noise and activity, I didn't really notice anything until after Desert Storm when we returned to Norfolk and went cold iron,...all the machinery in the engine and fire room shut down. The noises we heard at first were just the normal contraction of metal cooling off from being over 100 degrees to a cool 50 something degrees. While standing engine room cold iron watch, the fire room cold iron watch came running begging me to go with him into the fire room. Once there he asked me if I heard the hammering. Said I did and that it was just water hammer from moisture in the steam pipes. There was no steam in any of the pipes. All the pipes were cold. We all began to see shadow people out of the corner of our eyes. Probably could disregard as high emf which is very possible in a ship made of steel and filled with electrical equipment and wiring. My own personal experience that I cannot discount involves the shaft alley. This ship had only one main shaft for the propeller. It had a total of seven shaft bearings, one in the engine room and six in the shaft alley. It was a tunnel that allowed us to check the oil level in the bearings and check the amount of water entering the ship through the shaft seals. When you climb down the verticle ladder, you walk along deck grating to get to the steps of the platform that sits atop the aft end of the shaft. I was on the platform checking the water level with my back to the alley. Heard the sound of the roving security watch skipping the last two steps of the verticle ladder and walking towards me. I turned around to tell him something but there was no one there. I saw the deck grating rocking in walking pace. The deck grating wasn't fastened down and they had already rocked back in place when I got to the platform. Now they were rocking up then back down again as if someone was walking towards me. The rocking ended at the platform were all the deck grates were securely fastened. It was at that point that I got so cold I could see my breath. We had a new guy who swore there was no such thing as ghost. While standing cold iron watch, he was later found on the pier curled up in a fetal position shaking like a leaf. It took 30 days of psych counseling just to get him to approach the ship again. He said he saw something in the engine room and it made a believer out of him. That ship has since been decommissioned and scrapped. There were other areas of that ship that some said were haunted but I didn't see them personally since I didn't work in those areas. A navigator was killed on the bridge and it was said the bridge was haunted. Some said the medical ward was haunted from the wounded and dying Marines from the Beruit bombing of the Marine barracks. The Iwo Jima was the ship that took in the wounded. The medical ward still had photos of the wounded being brought on board.
I can't believe no one commented on this story. This is creepy!!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Ghost Hunting anyone?
Oh sure, we have a ghost hunting season here, it's in the spring, the only problem is, whenever I shoot them, bullets go right through them..

Old 08-19-2011, 10:47 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Oh sure, we have a ghost hunting season here, it's in the spring, the only problem is, whenever I shoot them, bullets go right through them..
Just kinda chaps your butt doesn't it?

We never needed to go ghost hunting, they came with the farm. Quite the deal!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:15 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARRELL-N-FLORIDA View Post
Yes I went and the most haunted place I think is the lighthouse basement. I have pics of an old civil war era man. And I have been smothered pretty bad twice on two different occasions. He will get on you and smother and drain your energy.
You're talking about my boss here.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurac View Post
i'm not sure i see the point in hunting ghosts. You can't mount them on the wall. You can't have your photo taken with them (look what i bagged!). The state can't make money off you by issuing an annual license. You can't eat them for dinner. There's no getting out in the "fresh air" involved. The specialty license plates would look really goofy on your car. If you join a ghost hunting club nobody has anything to show each other. And, if you find a bigger ghost that the other people you are with, when you are ghost hunting, there are no extra points for you.

On the other hand, you could go out alone with an "i'm with stupid...but you just can't see him" tee shirt. :d
lol :d

Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I did go to St. Augustine a few years back and did the Ghost tour as well as the Jail House tour.

Lame.

The only thing that happened was near the drugstore, we were in a room, all of us standing or sitting on the benches around the walls. A lady guide was talking and being all dramatic, (it was for fun, right?), the room was dark, just a little candle and we were sitting there quietly, enjoying the story.

Next thing you know, there's commotion. Seems a girl passed out. It was a little hot, (this was June), in the room as the door was closed and there was no a/c, she had been standing and must have locked her knees and down she went. They took her out of the room to outside to cool her off.

Apparently, during this commotion, another girl was feeling sick, walked outside and promptly slipped off the curb of the sidewalk and injured herself.

That was the extent of anything happening on the tour. We went to the Jailhouse at night, I went to the Jail house during the day...not a thing happened.

I would not consider St. Augstine's ghost tours to be legit but more just something fun to do.

I am open minded enough to believe in ghostly things as I've had unexplainable experiences and yes, as someone said earlier, if you dare tell anyone, they think you're weird or crazy or just plain stupid. I know what I experienced. It wasn't anything I saw, it was sound and it was motion...as in, bed shaking, once when I was about 6 and once when I was about 12 or 13 or so. When I was 6, the bed was shaking so violently that I screamed bloody murder I was so scared. My father came running down the hall, I told him what happened and he tried to find some logical explanation for it but it didn't explain what happened. It explained it if the bed flipped up and back down once, not repeatedly.

The time it happened when I was 12 or so, was just a corner, like someone was standing at the end of the bed, put their foot up on the corner and was wiggling it. Along with some strange noises from the heating vent. Kids were all in bed, mom and dad downstairs watching t.v. I could hear the t.v. and hear them talking so what the hell was that squeaking in the heating vent followed by my bed shaking?

I've had various t.v.s, different models and different times, just up and turn themselves off and back on. That s*** is freaky. It even happened to a t.v. that was my roommates, but, OF COURSE, she wasn't there at the time to witness. This turning off thing has happened with at least 5 televisions, one from when I lived in Germany, 3 from the time I lived in Seattle and one from when I lived in Miami. Again, all different locations, all different televisions. How to explain that coincidence?

I have never seen anything and frankly, I don't think I want to. I think I would drop dead from fright. The motion and the sound was enough for me, thank you.

Having said all of that, I am highly skeptical of most things put out there as "evidence". I do like to watch TAPS because they always try to disprove what they find instead of, as was said earlier, counting every mouse fart, (lol), creaky board and wind gust as evidence of ghosts.
like the mouse fart-----i unfortunately did see him as did one other person on the tour-----frankly i never wanted to see the 4 apparitions i did see but i never know when it occurs--thankfully only once was i scared right out of my pantyhouse by an entity that not only showed itself but spoke to me in a room with the lights on while i was reading a chick book(the ones with fabio on the cover)-----left the house immediately and sent someone else back for my stuff--that needing the room dark is just a crock

Old 09-01-2011, 01:11 PM

84 posts, read 184,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I can't believe no one commented on this story. This is creepy!!
I agree, great story... thx sailordave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal