U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:32 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,551,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Now there's a very good answer, but if that be the case, why don't we as modern folks employ the same simple engineering today? I'm sure we do in some cases, but why has it been so hard to duplicate some these "simple" feats using such simple measures?
Again, because we underestimate their abilities.

One could argue we've actually gone downhill as a species with regard to engineering. I doubt we've built anything that has the potential to last 4000 years since the cathedrals of midevil Europe, except maybe Mt Rushmore. Sure, we've build huge skyscrapers and bridges and ships, ect. but they will not last through the ages like the stone structures the ancients around the world built. We think we're so great, but our world is really very new, fragile and temporary in nature, especially when compared to ancient cultures.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 09:32 AM

49,774 posts, read 15,065,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I'm sure we all have heard about the Nazcas Lines in Peru and scientists have still not been able to figure out what they mean, the other amazing thing about those lines is where they are located, if you look around at the other mountains you will see that they all come to a peak, except the ones that the lines are on and they are all flat, as if somebody cut all the tops of them off, however the amazing thing is, is that there is no rubble, no debris, so what happened to it all, nobody has been able to explain that yet.
Some work has been done to link them with horizon points and Huacas and watercourses. I'm not sure what you mean by the ones on mountains. I thought they were all on the Nazca plateau.

As to rubble, they are made, so to speak, of rubble. There was a huge amount of rubbish in the form of smashed pottery, but I gather that Maria Reiche spent a lot of time clearing it away. Unless you mean that there is no sign of human habitation. There are a few temporary camps - stone hut circles and the like, but no permanent human habitation, sure. That's not what it was for, I'm certain.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to question the fact that you've been there and seen it firsthand, but just recently National Geographic had a two hour show about it and some of the scientists that was studying the place disagree with the fact that it is a natural plateau and that it is too level for it to have been done by natural erosion, now I'm not saying I agree with them but however it does bring up the question as to just exactly how was it done if not by natural erosion, just a question.
Shows like that are motivated by profit, not science. The more "mysterious" they can make it, the more interesting the show and the higher the ratings.

You would be hard pressed to find an serious geologist or archaelogist who has worked the area that thinks Nazca particularly "magical" or "supernatural" though.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM

10,577 posts, read 10,826,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Shows like that are motivated by profit, not science. The more "mysterious" they can make it, the more interesting the show and the higher the ratings.

You would be hard pressed to find an serious geologist or archaelogist who has worked the area that thinks Nazca particularly "magical" or "supernatural" though.
I'm not saying that there's anything magical or supernatural about them, I just find it kind of curious that the geologist and archaeologist that National Geographic had take a look at this place and tried to figure out why this plateau was as level as it is and that they would say that it's not natural and if it isn't natural, what happened to the rubble and debris, according to the show there is no signs of any debris or rubble in the entire area and it would seem that there is no signs of it being done naturally, now if that were the case, why did they pick this location to level off that plateau and what did they do with all the debris. Just a curious question.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM

5,556 posts, read 7,277,019 times

The singular stones at Baalbek dwarfs humans.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying that there's anything magical or supernatural about them, I just find it kind of curious that the geologist and archaeologist that National Geographic had take a look at this place and tried to figure out why this plateau was as level as it is and that they would say that it's not natural and if it isn't natural, what happened to the rubble and debris, according to the show there is no signs of any debris or rubble in the entire area and it would seem that there is no signs of it being done naturally, now if that were the case, why did they pick this location to level off that plateau and what did they do with all the debris. Just a curious question.
Never hurts to be curious. I'm just saying there is no rubble because the plateaus are natural.

National Geographic tries to maintain a scientific front in the magazine, but their cable channel constantly plays shows about ghosts, aliens and supernatural claims of a dubious nature. Their "experts" aren't often exactly that.

I've worked with them before; they even cast my daughter once as the ghost "Jackie" in "Is it Real?- Ghost ships"

Here's the episode (she shows up at about 4:40) ... Isn't she cute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_h6xKHWMoU

It was actually really cool; after the shoot I talked the security guard into letting me crawl all over the bottom the the Queen Mary, where the public isn't usually allowed.

But anyway, watch these shows with a healthy dose of skepticism. You've been warned.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,512,519 times
Quote:
Now there's a very good answer, but if that be the case, why don't we as modern folks employ the same simple engineering today? I'm sure we do in some cases, but why has it been so hard to duplicate some of these "simple" feats using such simple measures?
Hmm...sometimes the smarter you are, the dumber you are. IOW, the simple things escape modern man because he's so far above it. I first learned of this curious thing when I was in college. In my Physics 1 class, my professor was a 50-lb brain for sure. MIT guy (him, not me), did research for NASA on moon laser projects, and, I kid you not, could do calculus in his head. We often had to remind him that it would be better to put it on the board so we could see how he came up the answer to a problem. This guy was truly the smartest guy I've have even personally known. The funny part about it was that he was so smart and above what we were learning, I kid you not, every experiment demonstration he did in the lab WENT WRONG! I don't just mean that the always failed, but they often went catastrophically wrong. Things broke. Oddest thing I'd ever seen.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 AM

5,556 posts, read 7,277,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Hmm...sometimes the smarter you are, the dumber you are. IOW, the simple things escape modern man because he's so far above it. I first learned of this curious thing when I was in college. In my Physics 1 class, my professor was a 50-lb brain for sure. MIT guy (him, not me), did research for NASA on moon laser projects, and, I kid you not, could do calculus in his head. We often had to remind him that it would be better to put it on the board so we could see how he came up the answer to a problem. This guy was truly the smartest guy I've have even personally known. The funny part about it was that he was so smart and above what we were learning, I kid you not, every experiment demonstration he did in the lab WENT WRONG! I don't just mean that the always failed, but they often went catastrophically wrong. Things broke. Oddest thing I'd ever seen.
LOL....I hear ya!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I had professors like that too.

That's a perfect example of the difference between intelligence and wisdom. It takes both to make a "complete" mind.

Maybe someday even I will get there too, but for now I'll just have to be satisfied with the title of "smart ass".

Old 11-25-2009, 02:01 PM

392 posts, read 1,025,482 times
Quote:
I've always been fascinated with this stuff and I have read so many different explanations from the weird to the plausible. In the end, it still seems as though, all we are able to do today is make guesses no matter how absurd they sound or no matter how educated.

Of course the Pyramids come to mind and Stonehenge, but there are other places scattered across this planet that leaves a person scratching their heads.

A couple of places comes to my mind. One is the temple platform at Baalbek, Lebanon. The platform contains the largest (if I recall) single stones on earth. I think the largest one is about 14 feet high and some 70 feet long. The width is some ridiculous amount and the weight is outrageous. In short, these stones are slightly larger than a single story 2,000 square foot family home in Florida with perhaps the exception of width if a garage is thrown in.

Then there is Coral Castle in Homestead, Florida not far from where I used to live. The monolithic structures found there were not built 4,000 years ago. They were actually erected by a little man, less than 100 pounds and he did it about a half century ago and it still baffles the modern scientists. Supposedly no one saw him building it and he only worked at night. He used no heavy machinery or heavy duty tools and he built it alone. He refused to give his "secret" only saying that he "learned the secret of the ancients."

One account states that some little kids once saw him at work at night and they saw stones levitating. This might just be the story of some imaginative mind, however, there are accounts from ancient times of large stones being levitated via sound waves. I think I read an account somewhere of a Jesuit priest watching an Inca ceremony in action. Way up in the high Andes these people chanted in unison as huge stones rose from the ground. Does this account for how the ancient peoples of that area managed to get large stones up to such high elevations to build temples and other structures?

Mentally gifted folks of City-Data, what say ye about these things?
These are things I have experimented with through my readings. It is also extremely facinating to me. I hate it when people won't even have an open mind to mysteries as there is some credible things to be found out there.

It's formulations originate from many ancient ancestors all across the world many years ago. You can see it through drumming and dance rituals of Shamans that they could produce certain energy vibrations (sound waves as you call them) and in some instances anti-gravitational levitation was achieved. I believe certain advanced societies of these times (Egyptians, etc) were able to expand upon these energies.

I have also visited the coral castle and work with stone myself. There is no way humanly possible that man built that complex without massive modern day machinery, or some other supernatural or unknown power.

And again, the massive atom smasher, AKA God particle device in Europe will shed some light on all this. All matter in the universe is energy and that energy can be tapped by vibrations. I suspect our military has been secretly using this technology for years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal