U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 AM

5,556 posts, read 7,277,019 times

Advertisements

I've always been fascinated with this stuff and I have read so many different explanations from the weird to the plausible. In the end, it still seems as though, all we are able to do today is make guesses no matter how absurd they sound or no matter how educated.

Of course the Pyramids come to mind and Stonehenge, but there are other places scattered across this planet that leaves a person scratching their heads.

A couple of places comes to my mind. One is the temple platform at Baalbek, Lebanon. The platform contains the largest (if I recall) single stones on earth. I think the largest one is about 14 feet high and some 70 feet long. The width is some ridiculous amount and the weight is outrageous. In short, these stones are slightly larger than a single story 2,000 square foot family home in Florida with perhaps the exception of width if a garage is thrown in.

Then there is Coral Castle in Homestead, Florida not far from where I used to live. The monolithic structures found there were not built 4,000 years ago. They were actually erected by a little man, less than 100 pounds and he did it about a half century ago and it still baffles the modern scientists. Supposedly no one saw him building it and he only worked at night. He used no heavy machinery or heavy duty tools and he built it alone. He refused to give his "secret" only saying that he "learned the secret of the ancients."

One account states that some little kids once saw him at work at night and they saw stones levitating. This might just be the story of some imaginative mind, however, there are accounts from ancient times of large stones being levitated via sound waves. I think I read an account somewhere of a Jesuit priest watching an Inca ceremony in action. Way up in the high Andes these people chanted in unison as huge stones rose from the ground. Does this account for how the ancient peoples of that area managed to get large stones up to such high elevations to build temples and other structures?

Mentally gifted folks of City-Data, what say ye about these things?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,551,638 times
Oh! oh! I want to be counted among the "mentally gifted!"

Here's my take-

We grossly underestimate the ingenuity of ancient peoples. After all, we have existed as a species anatomically unchanged for around 150,000 years, and a person from 2000, 5000 or 100,000 years ago had the same mental capacity (and probably greater physical capacity) that modern man.

Although I believe in a "god" (whatever he/she/it is) and afterlife, I don't believe in superhuman feats that are beyond the capability of our physiology. But our bodies are capable of a lot, and our brains even more.

The pyramids and other ancient structures as well as coral castle (which is really cool BTW) were built with superior intellect and engineering, not magic.

Also, another site you might be interested in, if you don't already know about it is Puma Punku in Bolivia. I've seen it, as well as Tiwanaku and am flabergasted they aren't as famous as the pyramids themselves. The technical knowhow to create identical interlocking stone blocks without steel tools and saws is incredible. Not magic, mind you but incredible still and another testament to the skill of human engineering. Saying it was done by magic or aliens only cheapens the achievements of our ancestors.

Pumapunku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,899,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Mentally gifted folks of City-Data, what say ye about these things?
There are a lot of ways to move extremely large, heavy objects without the benefit of modern machinery. "Primitive" knowledge of levers, gravity, the wheel, et cetera are enough.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 AM

49,774 posts, read 15,058,096 times
It's true that, while we are so used to having powerful machinery that it doesn't occur to us that some remarkable rock -carving could be done by a hairy bod with a hammer - stone and an an elk -antler, it makes me puzzled to look at Sacsayhuaman or the Olmec heads and wonder How?

At the same time, though we may not know exactly what the techniques were for bulding the Egyptian monuments, building them is what they did. The remains of the cut, push and heave if the quarries is there. The half - carved statues of Rapa nui are in the quarries. The diamond - hard diorite rock polished to a mirror finish for the Ptolemaic palaces was done in the time of the Selucids and, if they were doing it with alien technology, no-one seems to have thought it worth mentioning.

There's also some bull**** about. The claims of Platinum being worked by people who hadn't the technology to melt the stuff is only part true. They didn't melt platinum but worked with grains of it a copper or gold matrix.

The Baalbek stone - I wonder whether that could be in situ. I heard that it was geologically out of place but then there are glacial irregulars.. are they called? That may not answer but I'd want to consider that before opting for a landing pad for alien space-ships.

P.s

Well, evidently quarried locally. But how on earth would you shift something this size?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...gest_stone.jpg

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-25-2009 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: P.s.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,861,823 times
I feel the earlier civilizations used engineering methods to move and place their large stones. The pyramids and many large constructions jobs had not only slave labor, but also leverage based engineering methods. Incline plains, rollers, pulley systems, and brute strength which was enough to accomplish the job with enough time.
I don’t see levitation as an answer; it just will not fit into my understanding of the laws of physics.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:15 AM

10,577 posts, read 10,826,862 times
I'm sure we all have heard about the Nazcas Lines in Peru and scientists have still not been able to figure out what they mean, the other amazing thing about those lines is where they are located, if you look around at the other mountains you will see that they all come to a peak, except the ones that the lines are on and they are all flat, as if somebody cut all the tops of them off, however the amazing thing is, is that there is no rubble, no debris, so what happened to it all, nobody has been able to explain that yet.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There are a lot of ways to move extremely large, heavy objects without the benefit of modern machinery. "Primitive" knowledge of levers, gravity, the wheel, et cetera are enough.

Now there's a very good answer, but if that be the case, why don't we as modern folks employ the same simple engineering today? I'm sure we do in some cases, but why has it been so hard to duplicate some of these "simple" feats using such simple measures?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:20 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,551,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I'm sure we all have heard about the Nazcas Lines in Peru and scientists have still not been able to figure out what they mean, the other amazing thing about those lines is where they are located, if you look around at the other mountains you will see that they all come to a peak, except the ones that the lines are on and they are all flat, as if somebody cut all the tops of them off, however the amazing thing is, is that there is no rubble, no debris, so what happened to it all, nobody has been able to explain that yet.
It's a plateau that has canyons eroded out of it. There is nothing strage about the geology. I've been there too. But look at it in Google Earth and you can plainly see it's natural and not an uncommon geographical feature of the Andes.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 AM

10,577 posts, read 10,826,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's a plateau that has canyons eroded out of it. There is nothing strage about the geology. I've been there too. But look at it in Google Earth and you can plainly see it's natural and not an uncommon geographical feature of the Andes.
I'm not going to question the fact that you've been there and seen it firsthand, but just recently National Geographic had a two hour show about it and some of the scientists that was studying the place disagree with the fact that it is a natural plateau and that it is too level for it to have been done by natural erosion, now I'm not saying I agree with them but however it does bring up the question as to just exactly how was it done if not by natural erosion, just a question.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Now there's a very good answer, but if that be the case, why don't we as modern folks employ the same simple engineering today? I'm sure we do in some cases, but why has it been so hard to duplicate some of these "simple" feats using such simple measures?
...as in the case of Edward Leeskin and Coral Castle. He practically built a small city all by himself, apparently, using simple tools and methods and intelligent folks and idiots alike are still debating what they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal