U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: NYPD"s 30th Precinct
2,522 posts, read 4,841,300 times
Reputation: 2577

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
And what sets off, or activates that chemical reaction?
Exactly what I said, environmental stimulus (or the lack thereof).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Interesting to me to note that there also isn't one shred of evidence that the pizza is any better in New York than anywhere else in the country.
Not off-topic; it's a valid observation.
I agree with you. What's your point?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,815,235 times
Reputation: 1898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Exactly what I said, environmental stimulus (or the lack thereof).
Maybe you could write a book...or shoot a short film...useing yourself as the subject, and or any other volunteers...

And set out to prove, through like a one month Docu film, that ouija boards are 'harmless'...

You could buy one, two or three, and use them nightly, and film it...and document all of it...and then after a month...conclude your studies...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 12:25 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,834 posts, read 26,167,724 times
Reputation: 56132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
My question centers around 'possesion'...

I know the Excercist taught us all to believe that if one is possesed, they'll become physically changed and turn into a monster...

But do you think there are more 'subtle' forms of possesions?

Less evident possesions, which in the long run could prove to be more damaging?
Happy to answer an honest question!

First, the book "The Exorcist" didn't teach me anything. It was a very good, and well researched book, and a scary, well executed movie.

Second, Do I think that there are more subtle forms of possession? YES! All possessions are not as dramatic as the depicted in "The Exorcist", or in more recent films.

Within the category of possession, one type of demonic attack, most possessions are not as extreme or flamboyant.

Before possession takes place there are these steps -

1.oppression - the demon makes itself known by exhibiting paranormal, activity intended to frighten. Some activities that are common include - rapping on walls, apports (misplaced objects, objects that appear out of no where), water on the floor, foul odors, hearing ones name called, depression.

2. Infestation - demon may present itself as a departed loved one. The victim may awaken with scratches of unknown cause on their body. Often there are three scratches - like claw marks. The point is personal contact has been made. All symptoms of obsession continue and may get worse.

3. Obsession - Distaste for anything religious, physical appearance begins to deteriorate, loss of appetite, or conversely, a voracious appetite. All of the other experiences and symptoms continue and begin to become more extreme. The person's functioning becomes severely impaired.

4. Possession - the entity moves in, so to speak The evil spirit is "in charge.

You asked if any "results of possession could be more damaging or long term" What a great question! Most full blown possessions end with death of the possessed and frequently of others in the possessed path. Suicide and murder are common.

The word "common" needs to be addressed. POSSESSION is not common!

I ABSOLUTELY believe in mental illness and psychiatry. Very few depressed people are possessed, and the very last thing that I want to promote would be that idea!

Also, I think that staying away from the Ouija Board is a good thing. The use of the board or a facsimile, opens a door to a dark side. It is an invitation to them that you are open to play.

The thing is, they play for keeps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,815,235 times
Reputation: 1898
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Happy to answer an honest question!

First, the book "The Exorcist" didn't teach me anything. It was a very good, and well researched book, and a scary, well executed movie.

Second, Do I think that there are more subtle forms of possession? YES! All possessions are not as dramatic as the depicted in "The Exorcist", or in more recent films.

Within the category of possession, one type of demonic attack, most possessions are not as extreme or flamboyant.

Before possession takes place there are these steps -

1.oppression - the demon makes itself known by exhibiting paranormal, activity intended to frighten. Some activities that are common include - rapping on walls, apports (misplaced objects, objects that appear out of no where), water on the floor, foul odors, hearing ones name called, depression.

2. Infestation - demon may present itself as a departed loved one. The victim may awaken with scratches of unknown cause on their body. Often there are three scratches - like claw marks. The point is personal contact has been made. All symptoms of obsession continue and may get worse.

3. Obsession - Distaste for anything religious, physical appearance begins to deteriorate, loss of appetite, or conversely, a voracious appetite. All of the other experiences and symptoms continue and begin to become more extreme. The person's functioning becomes severely impaired.

4. Possession - the entity moves in, so to speak The evil spirit is "in charge.

You asked if any "results of possession could be more damaging or long term" What a great question! Most full blown possessions end with death of the possessed and frequently of others in the possessed path. Suicide and murder are common.

The word "common" needs to be addressed. POSSESSION is not common!

I ABSOLUTELY believe in mental illness and psychiatry. Very few depressed people are possessed, and the very last thing that I want to promote would be that idea!

Also, I think that staying away from the Ouija Board is a good thing. The use of the board or a facsimile, opens a door to a dark side. It is an invitation to them that you are open to play.

The thing is, they play for keeps.
In section one, I boldened a few things that may or may not have occured...just through deduction...
And then in 3. I boldened what I've noticed in others at times...to the point of blatant hostility towards anything that remotely suggest there's a god or creator or anything of that nature...

As far as having entities appear as 'former relatives'...I've got a very low tolerance for those types of things...
I'm the type that if something so much as taps me on the shoulder, I'm jumpen out the window...ok...

I'm not trying to be brave, like in the movies, and follow voices down into the basement in the middle of the night...

I do not investigate dark places alone, in the middle of the night with flashlights...if anything I'll board the door up...and if 'Mike' is down there, he'll have to wait until morning to come out...

Nor will I be led into any attic at night, if I hear foot steps...more like Motel 6, here I come...

That is if I'm alone...if I'm with someone...I become much more brave...cause we can rationalize it away together...but when alone, I have no one to rationalize away my fears with...

The things I've experienced in the past, that deal with the 'P' word...I really don't like to discuss...

3 seperate incedents, two were related, one was independant of the other two...

Believe it or not one took place on a city bus in Oakland, CA...it got so bad even the bus driver freaked out...

This thing looked at me...well...like I said...why talk about it...I don't like to talk about stuff that really happened cause I feel by doing so gives 'validation' to it...

I'm sure you know what I mean...

The only times I've ever cowarded in my life is during those 3 incidents...
I can't explain it...it's like your flesh doesn't even matter...as far as being strong and all...it's like your reduced to 'soup'....when you witness something within someone else, that should not happen, that defies logic, and then has a 'personality' behind it, 'intent'.. and then 'notices you'...

There's no fear like it in the world...nor is there a defense against it...not even adrenaline works, if anything you want to pass out, just so you can skip the whole incedent...yes i think passing out would be the only defense...(I'm speaking for people who just aren't prepared for that kind of stuff...not those who purposely seek it out)

And these things are smarter than us, so they know our weaknesses, vunerbilities, and when to catch you off guard...

And they seem to know you won't talk about it...for to do so makes you seem 'looney'...
So most don't...instead they just warn, as many on here have been doing...
Although my experiences never came from use of a board...but maybe those who were vessels to these things did...I don't know...

Anyhow...thanks for the response...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM
 
4,527 posts, read 5,456,048 times
Reputation: 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
In section one, I boldened a few things that may or may not have occured...just through deduction...
And then in 3. I boldened what I've noticed in others at times...to the point of blatant hostility towards anything that remotely suggest there's a god or creator or anything of that nature...

As far as having entities appear as 'former relatives'...I've got a very low tolerance for those types of things...
I'm the type that if something so much as taps me on the shoulder, I'm jumpen out the window...ok...

I'm not trying to be brave, like in the movies, and follow voices down into the basement in the middle of the night...

I do not investigate dark places alone, in the middle of the night with flashlights...if anything I'll board the door up...and if 'Mike' is down there, he'll have to wait until morning to come out...

Nor will I be led into any attic at night, if I hear foot steps...more like Motel 6, here I come...

That is if I'm alone...if I'm with someone...I become much more brave...cause we can rationalize it away together...but when alone, I have no one to rationalize away my fears with...

The things I've experienced in the past, that deal with the 'P' word...I really don't like to discuss...

3 seperate incedents, two were related, one was independant of the other two...

Believe it or not one took place on a city bus in Oakland, CA...it got so bad even the bus driver freaked out...

This thing looked at me...well...like I said...why talk about it...I don't like to talk about stuff that really happened cause I feel by doing so gives 'validation' to it...

I'm sure you know what I mean...

The only times I've ever cowarded in my life is during those 3 incidents...
I can't explain it...it's like your flesh doesn't even matter...as far as being strong and all...it's like your reduced to 'soup'....when you witness something within someone else, that should not happen, that defies logic, and then has a 'personality' behind it, 'intent'.. and then 'notices you'...

There's no fear like it in the world...nor is there a defense against it...not even adrenaline works, if anything you want to pass out, just so you can skip the whole incedent...yes i think passing out would be the only defense...(I'm speaking for people who just aren't prepared for that kind of stuff...not those who purposely seek it out)

And these things are smarter than us, so they know our weaknesses, vunerbilities, and when to catch you off guard...

And they seem to know you won't talk about it...for to do so makes you seem 'looney'...
So most don't...instead they just warn, as many on here have been doing...
Although my experiences never came from use of a board...but maybe those who were vessels to these things did...I don't know...

Anyhow...thanks for the response...

i can relate to the above-----the feeling is beyond description-----makes me wonder about those foolish ghost hunters that want to "provoke entities"--apparently they have never encountered a real negative entity
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,815,235 times
Reputation: 1898
Last night, just to re confirm some things...I went to various other web pages or blogs, forums, to see what others had to say about ouija boards...and the consenses is always the same...

98% of the people who have messed around, repeatidly warn others not too...

Very rarely do people take time to warn others not to do something, unless what they experienced was life changing or shocking or horrific...

Most just don't bother going out of their way to warn you not to shop at Kmart, or to warn you against subscribing to cable ect ect...

But something seems to compel people to warn others, they don't even know, to steer clear of the board...

I found this story here kind of interesting...

Cobwebs and Candlelight: The Ouija Board - A True Story

I read it late last night or early morning, around 3am...and it really just added a layer of chill to what I was already feeling...
Not sure if reading it at 2pm, with sun up, will have the same effect...none the less it's a good read...

I actually find peoples personal accounts to be more chilling than any horror movie I've rented lately...
The way I felt last night, while reading, is the way I wish good scary movies could make me feel...
Directors or writers could learn a lot from reading peoples personal accounts...

They could learn loud music, korny effects, and model like acters/actress are not needed to scare...
If anything directors and writers should realize those things 'distract', rather than enhance the 'scary factor'....

Also last night I stumbled upon an online ouija board...it was scrolling at the top, then said 'adds by google'...and wanted you to download the 'game' unto your com****r...great, now your com****r becomes 'possesed'...(that certainly would make for a great comedy/horror flick)...

Also, and last thought of this post...I wonder why 'God'...the good one, doesn't have such a 'fast track' device to connect to him?

Now i know most will respond with 'He does, it's called prayer'....

But whether or not 'God' responds to you in prayer seems so subjective...

I'm talking instant access, like the ouija board does with entities...

Like in other words 'God, should I marry Jim or Tina?'

Then God himself says 'Yes, or No'...or knocks Jim or Tina photo to the ground...

In other words how come it always seems 'God' and 'good angels' always hide, or stay hidden, yet 'bad' angels or entities seem to jump at the chance to manifest themselves whenever they can?

Why does 'God' hold back, but 'darkness' doesn't?

Oh well...it's not like I'll ever figure that one out...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 AM
 
Location: PRC
4,551 posts, read 4,042,292 times
Reputation: 4049
Quote:
Why does 'God' hold back, but 'darkness' doesn't?
darkness/light are just words. Energy does not have a good or bad tag on it. The entity themselves which uses the energy for constructive or destructive purposes is the point in question.

What we call 'good' entities will not offer assistance because it invades our free will. We have to ask for help if we need it.

This is why 'bad' entities invade our space - because they do not ask, they take. They do not recognize our free will choice as the others do, but force their own will on others weaker than themselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,834 posts, read 26,167,724 times
Reputation: 56132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
darkness/light are just words. Energy does not have a good or bad tag on it. The entity themselves which uses the energy for constructive or destructive purposes is the point in question.

What we call 'good' entities will not offer assistance because it invades our free will. We have to ask for help if we need it.

This is why 'bad' entities invade our space - because they do not ask, they take. They do not recognize our free will choice as the others do, but force their own will on others weaker than themselves.

So true!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
 
14,072 posts, read 20,311,888 times
Reputation: 23694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Maybe you could write a book...or shoot a short film...useing yourself as the subject, and or any other volunteers...
..
Well, since you mention that, of course studies have been done, in controlled settings. The best thing to do of course, is be blindfolded and see if the Ouija produces anything but gibberesh. And yes that has been done to (with, the expected obvious gibberish.

This one is a detailed study:
Do Ouija Boards Work - The Fact and Fiction - OmniNerd
CONCLUSION was straightforward but diplomatic: "The bottom line is the Ouija Board is not a gateway to hell. Touching it will not harm you. Being in its presence is not going to cause you to become possessed. It would seem most sessions conducted with the Ouija Board are in fact, nothing more than parlor tricks. ... Anyone who has ever used a Ouija Board under the right conditions will swear there is that little something weird that cannot necessarily be explained away rationally. For those few who may make a connection, the question really is – it is just a game isn’t it?"

Here is another one:
Ouija, a scientific investigation., page 1
CONCLUSION: "No coherent message of any sort was received . Over 20 minutes of testing failed to generate a single valid word in English."

And then there is the Penn and Teller Ouija Board experiment:

Penn & Teller Ouija Board part 1 - YouTube
CONCLUSION: Well, the show was called BullSh*t for a reason. That description can be used to describe their conclusion of the power of the Ouija Board. Funny stuff when they turn the board over 180 degrees without the blindfolded knowing and they point to where "yes" and "no" used to be.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-10-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,359 posts, read 6,815,235 times
Reputation: 1898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well, since you mention that, of course studies have been done, in controlled settings. The best thing to do of course, is be blindfolded and see if the Ouija produces anything but gibberesh. And yes that has been done to (with, the expected obvious gibberish.

This one is a detailed study:
Do Ouija Boards Work - The Fact and Fiction - OmniNerd
CONCLUSION was straightforward but diplomatic: "The bottom line is the Ouija Board is not a gateway to hell. Touching it will not harm you. Being in its presence is not going to cause you to become possessed. It would seem most sessions conducted with the Ouija Board are in fact, nothing more than parlor tricks. ... Anyone who has ever used a Ouija Board under the right conditions will swear there is that little something weird that cannot necessarily be explained away rationally. For those few who may make a connection, the question really is – it is just a game isn’t it?"

Here is another one:
Ouija, a scientific investigation., page 1
CONCLUSION: "No coherent message of any sort was received . Over 20 minutes of testing failed to generate a single valid word in English."

And then there is the Penn and Teller Ouija Board experiment:

Penn & Teller Ouija Board part 1 - YouTube
CONCLUSION: Well, the show was called BullSh*t for a reason. That description can be used to describe their conclusion of the power of the Ouija Board. Funny stuff when they turn the board over 180 degrees without the blindfolded knowing and they point to where "yes" and "no" used to be.

Sorry, but I can't let you do that...I can't let or allow you to dismiss hundreds or thousands of personal accounts of others, by one experiment...

Say there are spirits...do you think they are stupid?

A spirit can see what your doing before you do it...

Do you think a spirit would be so 'dumb' as to allow itself to be 'used' like that for purposes that don't serve it?

Sorry guy...but I can't dismiss the experience of others, cause some 'ghost buster' type couldn't get any satifactory results during one experiment....

It's not all or none....

There plenty of cases where things were told to the user, that they had no prior knowledge of...that can't be explained through science...

I won't, can't, insult those who have experienced such phenomina by telling them that they conjured it up themselves...

That would be irrational on my part to do so...

And or 'denial'....

If the ghostbuster guy didn't have an occurance, that only reflects him...and him a lone...cause again if spirits exists, their not 'dumb'...they're not going to allow themselves to be 'played' like that...(to use street term)....

You yourself need to get a board, and do it while alone, and by yourself...and then see what happens...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top