U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:59 PM

14,181 posts, read 20,428,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Obviously you haven't read everyones accounts...

People being told things, that then went on to occur in the future...

How is that 'ideomotor effect?? or 'confirmation bias'?

You can't just dismiss other peoples real life accounts of things that cannot be explained by Dr Phil....

We're smarter than that...

You cannot, with the swipe of a wand, just dismess over 40 years, and millions of peoples personal accounts of strange occurances...

But the least you could do, instead of making a general statement, go and read a few, quote them, and then give your explination for it...
I am sorry, gotta agree with the previous poster. Unexplained phenomena happens every day. It usually remains unexplained because no one has bothered to fully analyze the event, most are anticdotes, 3rd party accounts, folklore, myths, and legends. But, that's how the world roles - sometimes a coin does turn up as heads 20 times in a row. And some events are researched, and there has yet to be full sciantific unbiased proof of supernatural occurances. I get that people want to beleive, and take that leap of faith. And I acknowledge that the basis of most religions is a leap of faith. Superstition is part of mankind, always will be. Hey I want to beleive as well. I've been on almost every continent on this world, seen some strange things, but nothing to let me believe that spirits roam the world.

Now, another point which has me confused - people believe in the supernatural powers of their own Gods (including the christian faith), somepeople dismiss religion but believe in demons, some in ESP, ghosts, clairvoyance, wicca, the ability for people to move things with their mind, then we get into the realm of superphysical abilities of UFO's and alien visitors, some people still beleive in vampires and warewolves I guess. Bigfoot and the Lock Ness Monster also falls into this category. People want to believe. The point is, some of these start to meld together. Where is the point were you don't beleive the movement of a piece of plastic is due to an alien beam or from mind control from "Carrie" or from the invisible man vs. some spiritual entity? Why does one sub-cult beleive you need a cardboard and plastic tool made by a toy company to access the beyond while others think you need tarot cards, a crystal ball, or a pyramid? Why can't we just all use plastic Harry Potter wands? The Oiuji board concept, and it's belief, is a bit too mass produced to take seriously.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-03-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,860,200 times
Quote:
Obviously you haven't read everyones accounts...
Actually I've read every one of them. Hence my saying that they're hilarious.

Quote:
You cannot, with the swipe of a wand, just dismess over 40 years, and millions of peoples personal accounts of strange occurances...
You're simply wiping away the fact that there isn't one shred of science to support a claim that Ouija boards are anything more than a hunk of cardboard.

Quote:
But the least you could do, instead of making a general statement, go and read a few, quote them, and then give your explination for it...
That's like me saying, "Hey I got food poisoning the other day, what happened?" You don't know all the circumstances surrounding the event, and neither do I. That doesn't mean it was anything paranormal.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:37 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,829,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I am sorry, gotta agree with the previous poster. Unexplained phenomena happens every day. It usually remains unexplained because no one has bothered to fully analyze the event, most are anticdotes, 3rd party accounts, folklore, myths, and legends. But, that's how the world roles - sometimes a coin does turn up as heads 20 times in a row. And some events are researched, and there has yet to be full sciantific unbiased proof of supernatural occurances. I get that people want to beleive, and take that leap of faith. And I acknowledge that the basis of most religions is a leap of faith. Superstition is part of mankind, always will be. Hey I want to beleive as well. I've been on almost every continent on this world, seen some strange things, but nothing to let me believe that spirits roam the world.

Now, another point which has me confused - people believe in the supernatural powers of their own Gods (including the christian faith), somepeople dismiss religion but believe in demons, some in ESP, ghosts, clairvoyance, wicca, the ability for people to move things with their mind, then we get into the realm of superphysical abilities of UFO's and alien visitors, some people still beleive in vampires and warewolves I guess. Bigfoot and the Lock Ness Monster also falls into this category. People want to believe. The point is, some of these start to meld together. Where is the point were you don't beleive the movement of a piece of plastic is due to an alien beam or from mind control from "Carrie" or from the invisible man vs. some spiritual entity? Why does one sub-cult beleive you need a cardboard and plastic tool made by a toy company to access the beyond while others think you need tarot cards, a crystal ball, or a pyramid? Why can't we just all use plastic Harry Potter wands? The Oiuji board concept, and it's belief, is a bit too mass produced to take seriously.
As far as some people 'wanting to believe'...

I don't think it's a matter of wanting to believe or not...when a frightning experience happens to you, you simply respond to it...

I don't think most people sit in their homes at night saying...

'I hope something occurs to night that I can't explain, and will scare me enough to run out the door screaming'....

Casual people don't ask for these things to occur...

Now those who dabble in the black arts, that's different...

But from many accounts I hear, no one was 'asking' for the situation they found themselves in...

And just because one can't see or detect something through our instraments, doesn't mean it's not there...

A clam, at the bottom of the ocean has never seen me, but I'm still here...
I could stand right next to the clam, and it would still be unaware of my presense...

With these bodies, we have our limitations...

Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Actually I've read every one of them. Hence my saying that they're hilarious.

You're simply wiping away the fact that there isn't one shred of science to support a claim that Ouija boards are anything more than a hunk of cardboard.

That's like me saying, "Hey I got food poisoning the other day, what happened?" You don't know all the circumstances surrounding the event, and neither do I. That doesn't mean it was anything paranormal.
And what does science say about jeliousy or love?

Scientific tools, are the wrong instruments to measure the supernatural by...ok...

Old 01-03-2012, 03:50 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,860,200 times
Quote:
And what does science say about jeliousy or love?
That they're the result of chemical production in your brain in response to environmental stimulus.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 PM

68,558 posts, read 63,803,483 times
Quote:
I've googled imaged the boards before...so many different designs now...

I wonder if one could be used online...(I deleted this section on my own...don't wanna give people ideas)
And I notice many of the boards end with 'Good by'...
That makes it seem real eerie...
Ha, when I searched for it on Google before, there was an online board. You could type in a question, and it would respond.

I asked, "What is my mother's name?" The virtual planchette went right to the C--and my mother's name is Charlotte!

Then it continued on to spell out C-A-N-N-O-T S-A-Y

Then I asked it how old I was, and the planchette moved to "Yes".

Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
That they're the result of chemical production in your brain in response to environmental stimulus.
And what sets off, or activates that chemical reaction?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, when I searched for it on Google before, there was an online board. You could type in a question, and it would respond.

I asked, "What is my mother's name?" The virtual planchette went right to the C--and my mother's name is Charlotte!

Then it continued on to spell out C-A-N-N-O-T S-A-Y

Then I asked it how old I was, and the planchette moved to "Yes".
I sorta meant something else...but don't want to share, as I don't want to contribute to someones possible deliquency in regards to those boards...

I hear sentiment time and time again...'I don't believe, I don't believe'...

Then one night something touches them while home alone, or kicks them down the hall...or they see a shadow in the house that follows a path, while home alone...

Then suddenly 'I believe I believe'....

So to me, the influence of those who use science to measure supernatural phenomina, which is randomn and unpredictible, to some how confirm 'it's all in your head'...holds little weight...

They're just being 'human'...and kind of selfish...to proclaim 'if it doesn't happen to 'me' than it can't happen to no one'....

That's not evidence against the unseen phenomina...that's just being self-centered....

I'm just not in the business of telling some one else what they did not experience, or see, when clearly they did...

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM

14,181 posts, read 20,428,516 times
Quote:
And just because one can't see or detect something through our instraments, doesn't mean it's not there...
No doubt unexplained phenomena occurs, and there is still alot of the world that people/scientists don't know about. But then we get into my second paragraph - what is there and what do people choose to believe in? Is the untouched movement of a piece of plastic on cardboard due to restless spirits, God playing tricks, telekenises, telepathy, alien beings using advanced technology, beings from another deminsion using advanced technology, time travelers, invisible fields of energy...

Superstition holds no bounds...but it seems that limiting the belief in the Ouiji board to spiritual entities is kind of narrow-minded.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM

16,081 posts, read 25,719,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No doubt unexplained phenomena occurs, and there is still alot of the world that people/scientists don't know about. But then we get into my second paragraph - what is there and what do people choose to believe in? Is the untouched movement of a piece of plastic on cardboard due to restless spirits, God playing tricks, telekenises, telepathy, alien beings using advanced technology, beings from another deminsion using advanced technology, time travelers, invisible fields of energy...

Superstition holds no bounds...but it seems that limiting the belief in the Ouiji board to spiritual entities is kind of narrow-minded.
I'll agree it is not limited to ouiji boards.

Originally the purpose was to communicate with the spirit world, its only a tool.

Everything is energy and potentially holds residual energy, including the ouiji board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal