Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times

Advertisements

Here's a question that may be worth looking into that I've never heard before...

The classic rebutal to ouija boards is that 'it's just a game' followed by 'Hasbro Brothers' or whatever...

Has anyone ever considered maybe it's not the boards that are infected...but maybe it's the inventors of the game themselves?, the Hasbro Brothers?

I mean what is it about their past that would make them invent such a game?
Did they themselves dabble in the occult?
And is there a connection between them personally and the boards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I'm with you California-Jewel. I remember when the movie the Exorcist made it to our small movie theatre (about '76). The Catholic church had banned the movie, but of course, being teen-age girls, the forbidden was THE thing! There was a nun at school who knew (they ALWAYS knew when we were up to something!) we had been to the movie. We opened up and admitted that we were scared that something like that could happen to us. That poor girl never did anything to invite that. The nun's answer was that she DID. If you remember in the beginning of the movie, she was playing with the ouija board. We were told that this was a portal for spirits (both good and bad) to make their way into the physical world. Spooked me. I remember that conversation clearly from 30 years ago. I never went near a ouija board since!
Interesting observation, I never noticed that at the beggining of the Excorcist, the girl was playing with a ouija board...

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
It's a piece of cardboard, for goodness sakes. You push the thing around to whatever you want the answer to be. A bunch of us girls played with them, and we all asked who we were going to marry, and it spelled out the names of our boyfriends. None of us married those guys. I couldn't tell you the number of people with these things, and not one of them had any of these types of stories. I guess you're afraid to play "Bloody Mary" too. I think I'll have Peggy & Pitt over tonight, and we'll scare ourselves silly playing Ouija Board & Bloody Mary. Heck, we might even throw in a seance.
What I don't get is the all or none attitudes of some...

I mean what makes your story or experience any more or less credible than those who have experienced something.

I've been on enough forums, read enough accounts, to know there's something to it...there's no way all these people could be making it up...

They don't know each other, yet have very similuar accounts...

Just because you or others never had an experience, in no way shape or form dismisses the experiences of others...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:53 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
just wondering--are people still buying these so called games????will they ever learn????

Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Here's a question that may be worth looking into that I've never heard before...

The classic rebutal to ouija boards is that 'it's just a game' followed by 'Hasbro Brothers' or whatever...

Has anyone ever considered maybe it's not the boards that are infected...but maybe it's the inventors of the game themselves?, the Hasbro Brothers?

I mean what is it about their past that would make them invent such a game?
Did they themselves dabble in the occult?
And is there a connection between them personally and the boards?
The Hasbro Brothers didn't invent the game. An inventor named Elijah Bond invented it in the 1800's based on previous similar types of games that played with the ancient idea of automatic writing. Hasbro just eventually bought the rights to market it, same as they did with Mr. Potato Head.

Some people just do automatic writing by holding a pen over a piece of paper and allowing the spirits or their subconscious or whatever it may be to take control of the pen and start writing. Same thing.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Of course the boards aren't infected, and as MQ said they date back to the 1800s or beyond.....its an occult tool.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I'm with you California-Jewel. I remember when the movie the Exorcist made it to our small movie theatre (about '76). The Catholic church had banned the movie, but of course, being teen-age girls, the forbidden was THE thing!
I don't think the Catholic Church ever banned the movie. When I was a kid in Catholic School during the time our priest was discussing the movie. If anything, the movie promotes the catholic faith.

At the same time, I remember, the nuns of the school preached about an Ouija board being a tool of the devil and a dangerous, evil think to play with. And now? Well I haven't been to church in ages, I think demons only live in people's minds, and I think a Ouija board is plastic and cardboard made for children with active imaginations.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM

I've googled imaged the boards before...so many different designs now...

I wonder if one could be used online...(I deleted this section on my own...don't wanna give people ideas)
And I notice many of the boards end with 'Good by'...
That makes it seem real eerie...

Old 01-03-2012, 12:35 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
The number of people that think that a cheap peice of a plastic crap mass produced in China and sold in Toys-R-Us for $14.99 can open communications to the netherworld is pretty hilarious. It's a simple combination of the ideomotor effect, confirmation bias, and other simple psychological effects.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
The number of people that think that a cheap peice of a plastic crap mass produced in China and sold in Toys-R-Us for $14.99 can open communications to the netherworld is pretty hilarious. It's a simple combination of the ideomotor effect, confirmation bias, and other simple psychological effects.
Obviously you haven't read everyones accounts...

People being told things, that then went on to occur in the future...

How is that 'ideomotor effect?? or 'confirmation bias'?

You can't just dismiss other peoples real life accounts of things that cannot be explained by Dr Phil....

We're smarter than that...

You cannot, with the swipe of a wand, just dismess over 40 years, and millions of peoples personal accounts of strange occurances...

But the least you could do, instead of making a general statement, go and read a few, quote them, and then give your explination for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal