U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:01 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,716,066 times

Advertisements

Don't laugh. Just wondering how scientific-minded people in this forum would describe experiences they've had which would fall into the category of suspiciously psychic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 02:09 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,716,066 times
Here's mine.

Back in the early 70s, I had the opportunity to chat with the TV psychic, Kreskin, when I interviewed him. I told him that many years before, I had had an interest in the subject but hadn't read anything lately, and I asked him to recommend a book that would bring me up to speed. He suggested Schroeder and Ostrander's "Psychic Discovereies Behin the Iron Curtain".

Some six months later, my wife was doing last minutes Christmas shopping and went into a book store to look for something I might like. I'm hard to buy for, and after a half hour of searching shelves, she gave up. Outside the store, she decided to turn around and go back in and just buy the first thing that caught her eye.

It was Schroeder and Ostrander's "Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain". Did Kreskin "will" my wife to not walk away from that store without buying me that book?

---------------

Earlier, on the day of the interview, I watched Kreskin "will" one of my colleagues. When asked "How do you do that", Kreskin just said to the guy, "It's easy. Watch. Put your two index finger tips together". Then he said, "Now try to pull them apart". He couldn't!!! No preparation, no warmup, no nothing. Just put your fingers together and you can't get them apart. And he couldn't get them apart, until Kreskin told him to. Later on, I asked the guy how come he couldn't pull his fingers apart. He laughed and said "I don't know. I just couldn't."

Last edited by jtur88; 12-27-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,071,804 times
When I was about 5 years old I lived near a river. My grandmothers house was on the river. My grandfather had a row boat tied up in front and I was playing on it. I saw a pretty beaded belt floating down the river. I reached for it.
My grandmother (1/2 Indian) had a premonition. She hadn't seen me lately and ran down to the bank of the river. She yelled at me just as i was reaching to grab a watermoccasin. I highly poisonous snake.

I'll never forget how she saved my life!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,098,986 times
I have them everyday. See/hear spirits, dream about family who has passed who give messages to my family (and tell me things that my family never told me, they're always shocked that I know), I see the energy field around people (no, not on drugs!)...lot of crazy stuff.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:35 AM

8,279 posts, read 23,360,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Don't laugh. Just wondering how scientific-minded people in this forum would describe experiences they've had which would fall into the category of suspiciously psychic.
Not sure about scientifically-minded, but scientists in general are pretty skeptic bunch. However, if you believe in string-theory, which as about as 'science' as one can get these days, you'd understand that everything is possible.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:44 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,461,295 times
When I was a teenager my girlfriend's mother paid a "psychic" to look into our relationship (I don't think she liked me ). The psychic said she saw a vision of my girlfriend and I doing the deed and told mother to get her daughter away from me before I ruined her daughter's life. Seriously, no joke, it actually happened! We did the Romeo and Juilet thing for a bit (minus the suicide part), despite the ominous warnings from the mystical psychic with supernatural insight.

We've been married now for almost 12 years, have three kids and are living the American debt-dream. I guess the psychic's vision was true after all.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 24,628 times
I've made it a major point to figure out how psychic stuff works. Like any new discovery (or lost art, depending on how you look at it), you have a lot of people who see it and say "this new thing defies my knowledge of physics, and therefore defies physics!" and then people who take that a step further and say "this defies physics and is therefore fake!" and the two gradually work it out until they come to an understanding of the phenomenon, which can take millenniums.

From what I understand so far, things like sorcery and telepathy play on the fact that reality is not objectively time and space. Those are just interpretations of a deeper system, and they can be defied if you're able to think and function outside of them.

There are some people who can make an object move remotely because they understand reality as a form of data, and they've learned to rearrange the information to make things happen. Others see reality more as energy streams, which they manipulate to make an object move. Others understand reality as more of a sentient thing, and 'reason' it into moving.

Any of these people can lift a pencil without touching it, with any skill, and it makes perfect sense to them, but those of us who understand reality as XYZ space just see an object lifting up for no apparent reason. It's not that our understanding is wrong - it's just incomplete.

For people who see the future - it's like I said, time and space are interpretations of a deeper system that can be interpreted differently

Old 06-18-2010, 04:49 AM

185 posts, read 376,678 times
f#cking idiots! This is a science forum.

Did that answer your question?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 AM

13 posts, read 24,628 times
science forum, not angry kid forum

Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 PM

4,228 posts, read 5,379,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Not sure about scientifically-minded, but scientists in general are pretty skeptic bunch. However, if you believe in string-theory, which as about as 'science' as one can get these days, you'd understand that everything is possible.
String theory is math. In some limits it reduces to quantum field theory, but beyond that hasn't produced any predictive results different from field theory. Just because string theory is far-fetched doesn't mean that the rest of science is thrown out and psychics are suddenly scientifically acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zareste View Post
I've made it a major point to figure out how psychic stuff works. Like any new discovery (or lost art, depending on how you look at it), you have a lot of people who see it and say "this new thing defies my knowledge of physics, and therefore defies physics!" and then people who take that a step further and say "this defies physics and is therefore fake!" and the two gradually work it out until they come to an understanding of the phenomenon, which can take millenniums.

From what I understand so far, things like sorcery and telepathy play on the fact that reality is not objectively time and space. Those are just interpretations of a deeper system, and they can be defied if you're able to think and function outside of them.

There are some people who can make an object move remotely because they understand reality as a form of data, and they've learned to rearrange the information to make things happen. Others see reality more as energy streams, which they manipulate to make an object move. Others understand reality as more of a sentient thing, and 'reason' it into moving.

Any of these people can lift a pencil without touching it, with any skill, and it makes perfect sense to them, but those of us who understand reality as XYZ space just see an object lifting up for no apparent reason. It's not that our understanding is wrong - it's just incomplete.

For people who see the future - it's like I said, time and space are interpretations of a deeper system that can be interpreted differently
Part of being skeptical means that the more contrary to accepted theories something is, the more proof you need to believe it. I am unaware of anyone who is able to genuinely (rather than through trickery) able to move objects with their mind or accurately predict the future. There have been many claims of such behavior, but most have either been shown as false or refuse to subject themselves to careful study.

If you believe this is because scientists have some innate desire to discredit genuine psychics, then there is no amount of proof that can convince you otherwise. I am of the belief that supposed psychics are at best fooling themselves and at worst conning others; I could be made to believe in psychic phenomena, but the burden of proof is quite high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal