U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

9,239 posts, read 6,505,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Those articles talk about volcanic activity in Madagascar and how that produced a hum. They did state that the hum was heard all over the world. But since this was the first time they linked volcanos and the hum together it is possible that it has happened other times in other unknown locations?
I doubt very seriously that volcanic activity has anything to do with what most people have experienced with the worldwide hum.

Have you experienced it? I deliberately did not say "heard" it because I have my doubts that it is a sound in the sense of a vibration detected by the ears. I believe it is an electromagnetic phenomenon that is detected somehow in the brain.

When I was a kid in Coon Rapids, Minnesota I lived very near the 50,000 watt clear-channel transmission tower of WCCO radio. All it took to hear WCCO there was a crystal diode in series with a set of headphones and a ground connection. Anything and everything metallic worked as an antenna. Other people in the neighborhood reported hearing WCCO in their walls, detected by things like poor wiring connections that produced a "semiconductor" effect. Seems WCCO was everywhere in my neighborhood and you could listen all day every day without even needing a battery....the powerful signal was the power source.

Something along this line is what I believe to be the explanation for the hum. I can easily imagine our brains containing the equivalent of millions of crystal diodes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

15,378 posts, read 12,420,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I doubt very seriously that volcanic activity has anything to do with what most people have experienced with the worldwide hum.

Have you experienced it? I deliberately did not say "heard" it because I have my doubts that it is a sound in the sense of a vibration detected by the ears. I believe it is an electromagnetic phenomenon that is detected somehow in the brain.

When I was a kid in Coon Rapids, Minnesota I lived very near the 50,000 watt clear-channel transmission tower of WCCO radio. All it took to hear WCCO there was a crystal diode in series with a set of headphones and a ground connection. Anything and everything metallic worked as an antenna. Other people in the neighborhood reported hearing WCCO in their walls, detected by things like poor wiring connections that produced a "semiconductor" effect. Seems WCCO was everywhere in my neighborhood and you could listen all day every day without even needing a battery....the powerful signal was the power source.

Something along this line is what I believe to be the explanation for the hum. I can easily imagine our brains containing the equivalent of millions of crystal diodes.
I will never hear a hum because I have had tinnitus most of my life. But my son is aware of all the noise from transformers to distant roads.

I am sure that some of these reported hums do come from transmitters, transformers, manufacturing, and some can come from volcanic activity. It is very possible that there are many sources.

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I will never hear a hum because I have had tinnitus most of my life. But my son is aware of all the noise from transformers to distant roads.

I am sure that some of these reported hums do come from transmitters, transformers, manufacturing, and some can come from volcanic activity. It is very possible that there are many sources.
Did you notice the top line in the story from the first link? It is Humbug. That's what I say to the volcano theory as an explanation for this phenomenon in the big picture sense. If you had experienced The Hum, so would you.

That is not too say that some people didn't hear some sound as a result of this volcano. But it is not the explanation for the worldwide low level pulsating hum that has been steady and stable for many years.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,139,932 times
Quote:

When I was in college, I stayed a few days with my sister and her husband, who lived in a 4-plex. I had one of the small transistor radios that was popular in the day, and apparently one of their neighbors had a CB radio or something similar. I was listening to music on my radio, when all of a sudden a voice comes through, quite powerfully. It was irritating, so I turned my radio off with the switch. That didn't work - I could still hear the neighbor, broadcasting away. Electromagnetic waves can be quite powerful, especially near the source.

Aren't the "hums" in the sub-20 Hz range? Few if any can actually hear such a low frequency, but if strong enough, they can be felt. The general hearing range is given as 20-20KHz, but that's a stretch. It's more like 50-15KHz for virtually everybody.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
When I was in college, I stayed a few days with my sister and her husband, who lived in a 4-plex. I had one of the small transistor radios that was popular in the day, and apparently one of their neighbors had a CB radio or something similar. I was listening to music on my radio, when all of a sudden a voice comes through, quite powerfully. It was irritating, so I turned my radio off with the switch. That didn't work - I could still hear the neighbor, broadcasting away. Electromagnetic waves can be quite powerful, especially near the source.

Aren't the "hums" in the sub-20 Hz range? Few if any can actually hear such a low frequency, but if strong enough, they can be felt. The general hearing range is given as 20-20KHz, but that's a stretch. It's more like 50-15KHz for virtually everybody.
No, definitely not below 20 Hz. The Hum frequency is difficult to pinpoint partly because it is a noise that pulsates randomly. I just pulled up an excellent tone generator site for comparison and my best approximation would be 78 HZ. If it were 60 Hz, so many easy explanations would pop out at us, but it is definitely higher. Using the tone generator illustrates the big difference between 60 and 78.

Using my excellent titanium headphones, I (or my headphones) begin detecting very low level at 24 Hz, strong level at 40 Hz. At the high end, nothing above about 11,500. It's amazing how high even a 2000 Hz tone is.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Did you notice the top line in the story from the first link? It is Humbug. That's what I say to the volcano theory as an explanation for this phenomenon in the big picture sense. If you had experienced The Hum, so would you.

That is not too say that some people didn't hear some sound as a result of this volcano. But it is not the explanation for the worldwide low level pulsating hum that has been steady and stable for many years.
Yes I noticed the joke they made in the first link. But the first link was created because of the information contained in the second link. And that second link was based on this scientific paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s415...ivescience.com.

I just don't think this can be laid to rest because some editor wanted to make a joke.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Yes I noticed the joke they made in the first link. But the first link was created because of the information contained in the second link. And that second link was based on this scientific paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s415...ivescience.com.

I just don't think this can be laid to rest because some editor wanted to make a joke.
That's the least of the reasons I laid it to rest. It's not a volcano.

As Paul Harvey always said..........good day!

Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That's the least of the reasons I laid it to rest. It's not a volcano.

As Paul Harvey always said..........good day!
OK! Just because volcanos are becoming active world wide and they are now linked to a hum; we will dismiss this new information: Why Are Volcanoes All Over The Globe Suddenly Shooting Giant Clouds Of Ash Miles Into The Air? – End Of The American Dream. Lets not forget that you live an areas that is part of the ring of fire; but that does not count: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/index.html.

You have a good day and carry on!

Old Today, 04:16 PM

11,088 posts, read 10,711,664 times
I DIDN'T READ MUCH OF THIS THREAD AND ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS Hummmmm.

Darn caps! sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal