U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,138,894 times

Advertisements

I heard this outside Taos, NM. I was gold panning in a stream and I couldn't believe this hum I heard over the sound of the creek water running just a foot or so below my face. I also heard it in the motel room in town. I thought it odd at the time but didn't know how to investigate it. I heard it for the next two days and one night until I drove out of the area. I later online found it is from a mountain I was at the foot of outside of town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,154,231 times
They've brought this up again in the news today -- now in British Columbia -- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2409453/The-Hum-Strange-groaning-sky-spooks-Canada-town.html?ico=ushome^headlines

The weird thing is, I couldn't hear it at all when I turned the computer speakers full-up, but I put on my headphones, and it was almost deafening -- especially the second one. That one sounded a bit fake, as in too much like human voices, but who knows?

"Till human voices wake us and we drown." -- T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Old 09-03-2013, 02:53 PM

10,972 posts, read 8,405,529 times
I started hearing a rumbling sound in 1993 when we moved into our current home. I kept thinking the neighbors were running some machinery, our AC was running or the refrigerator was loud. All of these were eliminated as sources and neither my husband, children, or any visitors or neighbors can hear it.
I always hear it when I'm inside our house but when I'm outside or traveling, it's intermittent. I've been to Taos twice and don't recall if I heard it there or not. If I did hear it, I would have assumed it was "my" rumble and disregarded it.

Within the past year, it has gotten much louder, especially at night when I can actually feel the vibrations in the room. Sometimes I awaken in the night and it's so loud that the bedroom seems to shake.
Interestingly I started hearing another sound 2 years ago - it's a medium pitch, more melodious hum. I'm as likely to hear this hum while traveling as while I'm at home. Sometimes I hear both the rumble and the hum, sometimes just one or the other, sometimes both together.

The rumble bothered me the first year or two when I felt I needed to find the source. The hum bothered me for a couple of days until I discovered that, like the rumble, no one but me could hear it. Neither bothers me now. I meditate frequently and I've come to learn that many people who do so report hearing these type sounds. Upon discovering that, I experimented a little. There seems to be a causal relationship between the intensity and duration of my meditations and how intensely I experience the sounds. I think of them as my private "music of the spheres".

Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,741,462 times
It's back, this time in BC.
The Hum: Strange groaning from the sky spooks Canada town | Mail Online

Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM

447 posts, read 872,028 times
That is a strange groaning/roar sound. Not what I expected.

Any ideas what it is?

Old 09-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Could it be the sound of someone / thing entering or exiting a wormhole?

Old 09-03-2013, 04:16 PM

447 posts, read 872,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post

Found this explanation on another site...... any validity? I've never heard a blade being grinded.

Alisa Thompson claims it was a city worker grinding down a blade on a grader.

"The grader blade needed to be straightened. Kind of gets ground down, and it makes a very strange noise. It's as simple as that," said Thompson.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Grader blades sharpened in Spain too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCBwg38jsA
Does sound metalic in origin.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:57 PM

26,157 posts, read 15,912,739 times
I just started hearing some low volume hum 3 days ago and its driving me insane!!! (Makes me feel dizzy,etc) -- If I cover my ears I cant hear it so I know its really there....... Up until this I have only read of others hearing it.....

I CANT SLEEP,ETC........ Its a quiet low pitch sound that goes up and down in loudness slightly.. Like some engine running somewhere.... My mom and dad cannot hear it.....

2 nights ago it stopped around 2am but this morning it was constant all night and still going!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAUSES THIS???? -- I DO THINK THE GOVT CAN CAUSE IT AND IT LITERALLY MAKES ME ILL!!!!! (I have to cover my ear to stop feeling queezy at times)

Today i did manage to get some sleep by putting a fan on in the room I was in... I got about 6 hrs........

Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,425,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I just started hearing some low volume hum 3 days ago and its driving me insane!!! (Makes me feel dizzy,etc) -- If I cover my ears I cant hear it so I know its really there....... Up until this I have only read of others hearing it.....

I CANT SLEEP,ETC........ Its a quiet low pitch sound that goes up and down in loudness slightly.. Like some engine running somewhere.... My mom and dad cannot hear it.....

2 nights ago it stopped around 2am but this morning it was constant all night and still going!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAUSES THIS???? -- I DO THINK THE GOVT CAN CAUSE IT AND IT LITERALLY MAKES ME ILL!!!!! (I have to cover my ear to stop feeling queezy at times)

Today i did manage to get some sleep by putting a fan on in the room I was in... I got about 6 hrs........
Try to move your bed to any other place in your bedroom to see if this hum will disappear there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal