U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,423,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Its a quiet low pitch sound that goes up and down in loudness slightly.. Like some engine running somewhere....
Or drone flying somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 10:18 PM

10,971 posts, read 8,393,704 times
Quote:
I just started hearing some low volume hum 3 days ago and its driving me insane!!! (Makes me feel dizzy,etc) -- If I cover my ears I cant hear it so I know its really there....... Up until this I have only read of others hearing it.....

I CANT SLEEP,ETC........ Its a quiet low pitch sound that goes up and down in loudness slightly.. Like some engine running somewhere.... My mom and dad cannot hear it.....
What you're describing sounds like form of tinnitus. You should see an ENT doc, especially since it's making you dizzy. The dizziness indicates it's possible you have a treatable form; that it seems to go away when you cover your ears is also a symptom the doc will want to know about. For sure the doc will want to check for things like Meniere's Disease, etc., that are treatable. Also there are treatable things like thyroid malfunction, infections, etc., that can cause it.

The fan is one form of "white noise" that helps lessen the effect.

I have had a "hum" form of tinnitus since about 1993. Sometimes it sounds more like a roar. Mine doesn't cause dizziness though nor does it seem to away when I cover my ears. I long ago found out mine is not treatable and was unlikely to get worse (it hasn't) or cause other problems so I've learned to accept it. Sometimes I use a white-noise machine at night but most nights I'm OK with it. It's nowhere near as bad as the high-pitched ringing and clicking noises that come with some forms of tinnitus. I used to have that and it was agony. The hum is tolerable.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:20 PM

26,157 posts, read 15,894,045 times
Nope Tinnitus is HIGH PITCHED..... This is a low pitch,like a truck idiling,etc....

Old 12-16-2015, 06:22 AM

4,982 posts, read 3,128,916 times
Sorry I cannot help you Dude111 but this reminds me of this:

The world's quietest place is a chamber at Orfield Laboratories | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-16-2015, 03:05 PM

10,971 posts, read 8,393,704 times
Quote:
Nope Tinnitus is HIGH PITCHED..... This is a low pitch,like a truck idiling,etc....
Tinnitus is the perception of noise when no actual sound is present. Most often it's ringing or clicking but it can include buzzing, humming, swishing, roaring and other sounds. I've had tinnitus since 1993 and it occasionally manifests as ringing or clicking but 99% of the time it's a low rumbling hum.

Again, I'd urge to see a doctor asap. Although most times (as in my case) there's no further health issues, what you've described (sudden onset and dizziness) can be indicative of a health condition that needs treatment.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:11 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,414,466 times
Assuming it is not a health condition like tinnitus.

Some university in northwest US is investigating it I think I heard on the Art Bell show, but they cannot shed any light on it. I feel there may be a few causes.

Particular people seem to hear it, so it might be something about them which is resonating with the noise. Like they are harmonically resonating with it and only them. An idea I had was to try changing diet to change your fundamental frequency(?) and see if it changes or disappears.

USGS can detect low Earth-noises so I was wondering if the same method could be used as they use to detect these after/before earthquakes. They can pinpoint almost exactly where the earthquake occurred from the waves of 'noise' given off (S and P waves) emitted, so it should be able to be detected if this hum is physical. Scientists can triangulate on a source of noise cant they?

Could be drilling/boring for some underground base, mining or oil drilling operation perhaps.

Could be the structure you are living in house/apartment building resonating with a large industrial machinery noise somewhere.

Military operations such as trying out some low sonic weapon on the population in that area. Test it and watch the newspapers for people reporting the hum.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:36 PM

4,932 posts, read 4,259,922 times
Quote:
Quote:
What is tinnitus?
Tinnitus is commonly described as a ringing in the ears, but it also can sound like roaring, clicking, hissing, or buzzing. It may be soft or loud, high pitched or low pitched. You might hear it in either one or both ears. Roughly 10 percent of the adult population of the United States has experienced tinnitus lasting at least five minutes in the past year. This amounts to nearly 25 million Americans.
Tinnitus [NIDCD]

Old 12-16-2015, 07:59 PM

26,157 posts, read 15,894,045 times
THE SOUND IS NOT COMING FROM MY HEAD!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20
Military operations such as trying out some low sonic weapon on the population in that area. Test it and watch the newspapers for people reporting the hum.
Thats what I am wondering??

I went out yesterday and when I came home the intensity of it seemed to be less,harder to hear but its still there.... I did not hear it when I was out...... @ my friend Ronnys or @ my friends video store..... (In the bathroom where quiet @ both places)

I dunno..... Its definetly something either in this house or something.... I havent asked the neighbours yet if they have heard it....

Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 PM

80,962 posts, read 74,018,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There is supposedly one around Taos, NM. There are actual noises around Modus CT caused by slow sloppage of the bedrock in the area.
I've occasionally heard something seemingly outside of Santa Fe, NM.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:27 AM

3,296 posts, read 3,414,466 times
Quote:
Responding to numerous complaints about a low frequency hum the US Government commissioned an investigation into the cause.
The investigation was carried out by the University of New Mexico with the help of the Los Alamos and Sandia National Laboratories.

The investigation was in two parts,with part 1 to look for an acoustic cause and part 2 to look for an electromagnetic cause.
Sandia National Laboratory prepared 2 reports for the US Government.
1/ Electromagnetic Test Report, Electromagnetic Investigation into the Taos Hum
2/ Other Possible Sources of the Taos Hum.

These reports were filed with the Albuquerque Office of the Department of Energy.
These reports were classified and the contents was not made public.
Attempts to view these reports using the freedom of information act have been refused
Althought I cannot vouch for the source, it seems reading here that the government has done some research on this and come up with a kind-of result. Because I am skeptical of the government, I am not surprised the complete report has not been released yet.

No conclusive reason found here either.

Can you blame folks for being skeptical of the Government when over and over again we see some kind of reticence to release reports which would allow some closure to all these strange things going on. Of course people are going to wonder what the report says and why it has been withheld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal