U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2018, 08:14 AM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,223 posts, read 6,495,720 times
Reputation: 9534

Advertisements

Though I have experienced "The Hum" in quiet moments of solitude for the last few years, I had no idea it was a world-wide phenomenon experienced by so many others.

But it is back with a vengeance for the last few nights, so it occurred to me to do a search and see what it produces. Obviously, it produced a lot....enough to make me also wonder if it has been discussed here. Sure enough, I found this and a few other threads.

This is a strange phenomenon....fascinating and troublesome at the same time. I have determined that it is not a "sound" in the conventional sense. Because it is totally unaffected by inserting excellent ear plugs that are an essentially complete barrier to high frequencies and noticeably attenuate low frequencies as well. "The Hum" is a low frequency, but it is completely unaffected by them. Earplugs or not, it is there....in identical low volume - clear, and pulsating in a completely random manner. It is on most of the time, but goes off for a moment, a second, or two and then back on....with no discernible pattern.

I don't recall ever being aware of it before I moved to my current home 6 years ago. But my home is clearly not the source, with many thousands of world-wide reports. And I've heard it on occasion in hotels in the area. So if there is anything significant there, it is the timing of my awareness.

I'm guessing that this is something much more noticed by people who spend a lot of time alone. Almost anything distracts from awareness of it. Even something as simple as going outside on a quiet night does, because of the sounds of a gentle breeze, leaves rustling, crickets chirping, any little noise overrides it. But if I go outside with my earplugs inserted, it is there and exactly the same.

Now that I know that it's a documented world-wide experience, I'll pay closer attention. Speaking of which....right now as I write this, I notice that it is going off for longer time periods. Sometimes several seconds, then back on. It that because dawn approaches? Why is it back on my radar today as opposed to even a week ago?

So many unanswered questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 AM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,223 posts, read 6,495,720 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Though I have experienced "The Hum" in quiet moments of solitude for the last few years, I had no idea it was a world-wide phenomenon experienced by so many others.

But it is back with a vengeance for the last few nights, so it occurred to me to do a search and see what it produces. Obviously, it produced a lot....enough to make me also wonder if it has been discussed here. Sure enough, I found this and a few other threads.

This is a strange phenomenon....fascinating and troublesome at the same time. I have determined that it is not a "sound" in the conventional sense. Because it is totally unaffected by inserting excellent ear plugs that are an essentially complete barrier to high frequencies and noticeably attenuate low frequencies as well. "The Hum" is a low frequency, but it is completely unaffected by them. Earplugs or not, it is there....in identical low volume - clear, and pulsating in a completely random manner. It is on most of the time, but goes off for a moment, a second, or two and then back on....with no discernible pattern.

I don't recall ever being aware of it before I moved to my current home 6 years ago. But my home is clearly not the source, with many thousands of world-wide reports. And I've heard it on occasion in hotels in the area. So if there is anything significant there, it is the timing of my awareness.

I'm guessing that this is something much more noticed by people who spend a lot of time alone. Almost anything distracts from awareness of it. Even something as simple as going outside on a quiet night does, because of the sounds of a gentle breeze, leaves rustling, crickets chirping, any little noise overrides it. But if I go outside with my earplugs inserted, it is there and exactly the same.

Now that I know that it's a documented world-wide experience, I'll pay closer attention. Speaking of which....right now as I write this, I notice that it is going off for longer time periods. Sometimes several seconds, then back on. It that because dawn approaches? Why is it back on my radar today as opposed to even a week ago?

So many unanswered questions.
Just an update. Clearly the approach of dawn had nothing to do with the variance I noticed. We're now an hour into daylight (though overcast) and the hum is very much still there and going off for only brief moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2018, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
4,061 posts, read 2,128,561 times
Reputation: 3108
I haven't read the entire thread, but could the sounds be connected to large wind turbines? There are none aroud here, but I understand they can make objectional noises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 05:17 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,302 posts, read 3,417,087 times
Reputation: 2992
I think we should document it and find out if people in other areas notice the same things. There have been studies and some have found causes I believe.

Personally, I feel they are caused by resonace either with something mechanical manmade or with something natural like the wind resonating a rock somewhere and the 'hum' travelling through the ground. It could even be a building or rock resonance so for example your house may be resonating with something and setting up a secondary vibration perhaps? Remember the story of Tesla and his mechanical hammer attached to a pillar and the whole structure started to shake, and they thought it was an earthquake ?

What bothers me is the periods of quiet. 1 or 2 seconds suggests to me a mechanical source which might be the cause. What mechanical object goes along doing its mechanical thing and then pauses for a second or two? Most things I can think of keep going and dont pause. Maybe keep an ear open as you are travelling about the area and perhaps the cause will make itself known to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 06:40 AM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,223 posts, read 6,495,720 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think we should document it and find out if people in other areas notice the same things. There have been studies and some have found causes I believe.

Personally, I feel they are caused by resonace either with something mechanical manmade or with something natural like the wind resonating a rock somewhere and the 'hum' travelling through the ground. It could even be a building or rock resonance so for example your house may be resonating with something and setting up a secondary vibration perhaps? Remember the story of Tesla and his mechanical hammer attached to a pillar and the whole structure started to shake, and they thought it was an earthquake ?

What bothers me is the periods of quiet. 1 or 2 seconds suggests to me a mechanical source which might be the cause. What mechanical object goes along doing its mechanical thing and then pauses for a second or two? Most things I can think of keep going and dont pause. Maybe keep an ear open as you are travelling about the area and perhaps the cause will make itself known to you?
http://thehum.info/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 07:01 AM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,223 posts, read 6,495,720 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, but could the sounds be connected to large wind turbines? There are none aroud here, but I understand they can make objectional noises.
And yet there are a few reports on the World Map not far from you.

Though there is a large wind farm roughly 20 miles from me on the Altamont Pass, I doubt they're the source, if only due to the intermittency of the vibration. Then again, it seems no one really knows for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2018, 07:52 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
80,988 posts, read 74,101,287 times
Reputation: 80641
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Though I have experienced "The Hum" in quiet moments of solitude for the last few years, I had no idea it was a world-wide phenomenon experienced by so many others.

But it is back with a vengeance for the last few nights, so it occurred to me to do a search and see what it produces. Obviously, it produced a lot....enough to make me also wonder if it has been discussed here. Sure enough, I found this and a few other threads.

This is a strange phenomenon....fascinating and troublesome at the same time. I have determined that it is not a "sound" in the conventional sense. Because it is totally unaffected by inserting excellent ear plugs that are an essentially complete barrier to high frequencies and noticeably attenuate low frequencies as well. "The Hum" is a low frequency, but it is completely unaffected by them. Earplugs or not, it is there....in identical low volume - clear, and pulsating in a completely random manner. It is on most of the time, but goes off for a moment, a second, or two and then back on....with no discernible pattern.

I don't recall ever being aware of it before I moved to my current home 6 years ago. But my home is clearly not the source, with many thousands of world-wide reports. And I've heard it on occasion in hotels in the area. So if there is anything significant there, it is the timing of my awareness.

I'm guessing that this is something much more noticed by people who spend a lot of time alone. Almost anything distracts from awareness of it. Even something as simple as going outside on a quiet night does, because of the sounds of a gentle breeze, leaves rustling, crickets chirping, any little noise overrides it. But if I go outside with my earplugs inserted, it is there and exactly the same.

Now that I know that it's a documented world-wide experience, I'll pay closer attention. Speaking of which....right now as I write this, I notice that it is going off for longer time periods. Sometimes several seconds, then back on. It that because dawn approaches? Why is it back on my radar today as opposed to even a week ago?

So many unanswered questions.
Where in the Bay Area do you hear it? I'm in the Bay Area a couple of times/year, and have never heard it, nor have any of my friends and relatives there. I also visit Taos, NM, several times/year, and have never heard it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
22,797 posts, read 11,008,694 times
Reputation: 22109
The map shows nearby locations (one in my town) and yet I've never heard it.

A report written by someone in a suburb that's about 15 - 20 miles from me states the guy can hear it with his windows closed, yet when he opens a window he can't hear it. During a storm they were without power for three days and he still heard it, so it's not being caused by an appliance in the home.

Odd that one of the questions they ask is whether or not you have a smart meter. Does anyone know what that might be about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 PM
 
5,269 posts, read 8,270,651 times
Reputation: 3300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The map shows nearby locations (one in my town) and yet I've never heard it.

A report written by someone in a suburb that's about 15 - 20 miles from me states the guy can hear it with his windows closed, yet when he opens a window he can't hear it. During a storm they were without power for three days and he still heard it, so it's not being caused by an appliance in the home.

Odd that one of the questions they ask is whether or not you have a smart meter. Does anyone know what that might be about?
Interesting that you mention if he opened a window, he couldn't hear it. That would seem to suggest that the source must be something that's either inside the house or under it. I wonder if any of his neighbors have the same kind of circumstances?

About the question concerning a smart meter, one guy I sort of know claims that they transmit some kind of energetic signals or impulses, and that they should be covered by some kind of tight mesh screen to help deflection. The impression I got from him is that it's similar to the claim about power lines that are suppose to cause harm to people. I have no real idea why that should cause a problem. Interestingly, he uses a mobile phone which, of course, transmits and receives signals.

Do you know if the guy ever said his meter was a smart meter or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2018, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
4,061 posts, read 2,128,561 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The map shows nearby locations (one in my town) and yet I've never heard it.

A report written by someone in a suburb that's about 15 - 20 miles from me states the guy can hear it with his windows closed, yet when he opens a window he can't hear it. During a storm they were without power for three days and he still heard it, so it's not being caused by an appliance in the home.

Odd that one of the questions they ask is whether or not you have a smart meter. Does anyone know what that might be about?
I assume he's talking about the electrical usage meters that utilities install so they can be read remotely, and not rely on a meter reader coming to read the dials on an analog meter. Myth is that they radiate electromagnetic engergy that's dangerous to humans, and presumably other animals. There is at least one company that sells a "guard", which is basically a copper mesh screen that supposedly drastically reduces the EMI. They also make one for wifi routers. Seems like using such would defeat the original intent, and supposedly the dangers are not true.

I know a guy who was a bit of an odd duck, and apparently a bit paranoid about such things (radio waves that we're constantly exposed to). He enclosed the house he built in copper mesh, basically a Faraday cage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top