Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

I have a ceiling fan above my bed which, according to the various orientations of the fan blades, can look like different objects. Several weeks ago I awoke very early in the morning to find a gigantic shadowy man with a hat standing over my bed. I was awake enough to remember being fooled by the fan blades before but this figure was so real and menacing, that I called loudly out "who are you?" as I reached to the nightstand to switch on the lights and grab my 38 caliber handgun. As soon as the lights can on, the shadowy man became a Hunter ceiling fan.

I've had cars that I swore had ghosts in them (mostly Fords) but I am inclined to believe than ghosts are no more than an over active imagination working at the right time and the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
This sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis as others have pointed out. I've had it happen twice before...both times equally frightening with hallucinations of someone in the room and the feeling of being pinned down. It's just your mind playing tricks on you after being abruptly awakened from deep rem sleep.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
I have seen shadows in my house, doors that close themselves and my cat sometimes freaks out staring at nothing. The hair on the back of his head stands up, again nothing there. Worse yet, my son has claimed to see shadow people, in our bedroom. I saw another shadow just tonight. My house is 100 years old, and im afraid this is not just my imagination. I love my house and do not want to move, but I dont want to share it with non rent paying ghosts. Anyone know how I can get them out?? Is it possible? Im thinking of having my pastor bless the house, Is this a good idea or will I just look like Ive lost it?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:10 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
I doubt your house will be the first your pastor blessed.

You could have paranormal researchers confirm what you think, they say cats are partly of the spirit world.

Animals and Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have seen shadows in my house, doors that close themselves and my cat sometimes freaks out staring at nothing. The hair on the back of his head stands up, again nothing there. Worse yet, my son has claimed to see shadow people, in our bedroom. I saw another shadow just tonight. My house is 100 years old, and im afraid this is not just my imagination. I love my house and do not want to move, but I dont want to share it with non rent paying ghosts. Anyone know how I can get them out?? Is it possible? Im thinking of having my pastor bless the house, Is this a good idea or will I just look like Ive lost it?

Last edited by virgode; 04-12-2010 at 12:26 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 06:43 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have a ceiling fan above my bed which, according to the various orientations of the fan blades, can look like different objects. Several weeks ago I awoke very early in the morning to find a gigantic shadowy man with a hat standing over my bed. I was awake enough to remember being fooled by the fan blades before but this figure was so real and menacing, that I called loudly out "who are you?" as I reached to the nightstand to switch on the lights and grab my 38 caliber handgun. As soon as the lights can on, the shadowy man became a Hunter ceiling fan.

I've had cars that I swore had ghosts in them (mostly Fords) but I am inclined to believe than ghosts are no more than an over active imagination working at the right time and the right place.
My ceiling fan looked to me like a giant hand one night, lol. Haven't seen anything in my current apartment and I don't feel as if anything is there.

Just a note though--in the previous house where the guy walked through the dining room to the basement door--I never saw him at night, only during the day.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Hmmm...can you ask them to pay rent? Maybe they know where some money is hidden in the house!

As Virgode said, it probably won't be the first time your pastor has had this request. Some people just ask for a house blessing anyway when they first move in somewhere new.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
I think that's a good idea. I personally believe that manifestations of what many believe are ghosts are actually demonic.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Years ago, I was crashing in my parents' basement. At some point overnight, I wake up to see two red eyes staring at me. It was pretty freaky. I yelled out "HOLY ****" The eyes didn't go away, just kept staring. As my the blur in my eyes decreased and my focus returned, the eyes seemed to get more distant... I could see that I was looking out one of the windows and towards my neighbor's driveway where they had their brake lights on their car on.

A few years before that, I was visiting my girlfriend at her apartment. I was drinking a cold Pepsi out of a can and placed it on the table. At some point, she got up and walked away. A minute later, out of the corner of my eye I swore I saw the can move. I kept looking and it was inch forward (more like a millimeter) occasionally until it started to take off moving along the table. When it reached the end of the table, it just stopped, teetering there.

Initially, I was thinking "paranormal experience" but then the engineer in me takes over and realizes that the condensation from the can decreased the friction between the can and the table. The table had a slight pitch that was not noticeable without a level and that the can stopped near the lip since one part of the can was no longer on the table, there was more pressure to the other parts of the can touching the table, increasing the friction. The condensation alone would not be enough to overcome that friction, so it stopped.

While I know that many would like to believe that there is an afterlife where some of us get to roam around and haunt people, I just don't see it as being true. But we can all believe what we want. Besides, the concept of ghosts and the paranormal is intriguing, especially when you are alone. Good fun. Don't lose sleep over it though.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
It is just your mind playing tricks on you.

There are no such thing as ghosts.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboyy View Post
Ghosts, LOL

All i got to say.
Really?

What about these ghosts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal