Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 PM

32 posts, read 107,079 times

Advertisements

I have always loved what I have seen about the British in the media. From the time I was little, I have watched whatever programming has made its way overseas to America and loved every moment of it. Dr. Who was a staple of mine when I was young along with Monty Python, and I have come to find new favorites more recently, such as: Smoking Room, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (in all its forms), and Little Britain. I just think the British have a sense of humor that isn't available here in America.

As a person involved with media, I would love to start a career over in England. But, I don't know how I would make the move. I guess, I would like to know some possible ways to get a job in England as a foreigner. I would be willing to start at the bottom of course, and I would be willing to work at positions which are in other fields while I worked on citizenship.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,920 times
To get a tier 1 work visa you need a masters degree. Alternatively, to get a tier 2 work visa you need to be qualified to do something on the shortage list - click on the link under 'related documents' on this page UK Border Agency | Government-approved shortage occupation list for Tier 2 of the points-based system (http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2009/november/ga-approved-shortage-list-tier-2 - broken link)

Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Try living here with a family or friends first- it's not really like it is on the Telly, except for Little Britain. That's exactly how it is.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:44 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Good luck, its hard enough for our people to get jobs as it is.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:20 PM

261 posts, read 1,300,717 times
Have you visited? I have to say as an English woman probably permanently relocated to the US (well I've been here 26 years) the last time I went home (yes I know, but old habits die hard) I found the overcrowding frazzling too much: too many people, too many cars, just too much. I have always thought I would retire back to the UK but unless there is some sort of plague that cuts the population in half, I doubt I will be doing it. I suspect I could get used to it, but I'm not sure I want to.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
Have you visited? I have to say as an English woman probably permanently relocated to the US (well I've been here 26 years) the last time I went home (yes I know, but old habits die hard) I found the overcrowding frazzling too much: too many people, too many cars, just too much. I have always thought I would retire back to the UK but unless there is some sort of plague that cuts the population in half, I doubt I will be doing it. I suspect I could get used to it, but I'm not sure I want to.
Not sure where you used to live or visited but there are certainly still plenty of locations in the UK that are not overcrowded. And my husband is always going on about how the UK has an aging population (less and less children being born).

Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM

261 posts, read 1,300,717 times
Southern and eastern primarily. My point is not that the UK is massively overcrowded but that one becomes used to a certain density of population, if I can put it like that. As an example, I walk my dog at a local public park - I am much more likely to see no one else than I am to see another person. I honestly hadn't realized just how used I had become to this.

Anyway - I think it is very, very unwise to consider moving to a place unless you have visited: TV is all well and good but it really doesn't give the flavour of a place.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,653 times
little britian is a perfect description of someplaces, i would recommend starting of the outskirts of london as it is suffocating and moving closer once used to our culture

Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Can't beat Scotland and North East England its not crowded and your not paying through the nose for housing. Countryside is beautiful. People are very friendly, there are so many positives.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,122 times
Just to add to those who have said that it's crowded over here, I heard on the radio earlier this week that England has overtaken the Netherlands as the most crowded country in Europe.

Let's keep packing 'em in, room for two more on top
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom