Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rents & Utility in & around Manchester are
very high - not affordable for an expact 1 50.00%
moderate - good for an expact living 1 50.00%
Fine - decent for a local person to live in 0 0%
Poor - below the standard of living for a local 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,687 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am moving with my husband and infant to Manchester. I was wondering if I could get a fair idea about Manchester and its outskirts.

Can anyone suggest out of the following which places are good for renting apartments & safe for expacts:

Didsbury
Chorlton
Withington
The Heatons
Wilnslow
Salfor Quay

Actually, my husband's work would be in Worsley. How is it staying in Worsley -

-Also how are the rents like in above areas?
-what are rents like for a semi-furnished apartment 3bed/2 or 2.5 or 3bath?
-How much are utility charges: eg: electricity/water/gas per month
-Any other taxes, which we dont know of ?
-Does the above places have gated community?
-Are these places safe to stay
-Medical: I know that UK is a welfare state and the INS takes care of all medicals. Are there any other medical expenses that one needs to account for?
-Education: How much are the monthly kindergarten costs?

Please share any info which we have not mentioned above and you feel we should know about at the time of our move.

Would really appreciate your help & time if anyone of you could give me a feedback.

Regards
Sannie

Last edited by sannie34; 02-23-2011 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Added more questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,909,680 times
You can find information on neighbourhoods here M20 house prices, property, crime rate, local neighbourhood & schools | UpMyStreet
You forgot council tax - could be £2000 per year depending on what kind of property you live in.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,914,181 times
I'm most familiar with Didsbury, Chorlton and Salford Quays - all nice but pricey areas to live in. Whether they are affordable or not depends on the individual - I'm not sure why being an expat would make much difference. My husband and I live in Salford Quays - we have a one bedroom 650sq ft semi furnished apartment which we rent for £700/month. For a 3 bedroom, you're looking at over £1,000 in the newer buildings - some of the older apartments you might find for under £1,000. Check out UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent.

Our building is not gated but the NV Buildings are. Salford Quays is pretty safe but of course no area is completely without crime, especially in the city.

You're probably expecting too much by wanting more than one bathroom in an apartment though. If that's important to you, you should probably be looking at houses, not apartments.

As far as health care goes, not all prescriptions are covered by the NHS. Birth control is covered and prescriptions for children and seniors are covered - some people with certain illnesses can get prescription coverage too, I think. But if you're an average adult, there is a fee.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks a ton for the extra input will look into it.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Hi PA2UK
really appreciate your feedback. Your detailed msg is indeed quite handy.
Will browse through the site you mentioned
Regards
Sannie

Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,809,777 times
I wanted to say thanks too. I mentioned in an older thread that he's interviewing in Manchester, and we know nothing about the area so this is great. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,568,087 times
Apartments in Salford Quays are going to be more expensive than in Chorlton / Withington / Dids I would imagine and smaller too..Chorlton, Withington and Didsbury all have plenty of open space and are nice walkable areas with cafes, coffee shops etc.... and a fairly young population.

Wilmslow will be a long drive in commuter traffic and a nightmare on public transport...

There aren't really the type of gated communities you get in the rest of the world with security etc.... some city centre buidlings may but this isn't common.

Where are you moving from ? will your husband drive to work ?? Cars and petrol are expensive in the UK.....

Depending on your 'status' will determine if you can use the NHS immediately.
NHS charges for people from abroad
If not then the company should give you medical cover.... but you might want to try to get private healthcare anyway.....

Old 02-24-2011, 05:01 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,944,958 times
My father was born in Didsbury, my mother in Cheadle and, as a student, I lived in Fallowfield. So, I do know the area quite well. Personally, I would not live anywhere close to Salford. I like the Didsbury area a lot and I always liked Heaton Moor and Heaton Mersey. Withington is also nice. Also, south Manchester is well served by public transport so you may only need one car if you plan where you live right.

Worsley is out of town so a car will probably be needed to get there. Personally, I would not want to live there. Stick to Manchester. From an ease of commuting perspective, the Northenden area might be more convenient than Didsbury, etc.

I don't know what it costs to live there these days but, be assured, its a lot cheaper than London and with good access to the hills (Lake District and Peaks) as well as the coast. Other than the fact that it rains a lot, the quality of life is good.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 AM

10,215 posts, read 17,914,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Personally, I would not live anywhere close to Salford.
Why? There are areas of Salford that are actually quite nice. Don't fall into the trap of thinking all of Salford is in the slums.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:23 AM

24 posts, read 84,073 times
As you are moving with a child, I would say aim for Didsbury. It is relatively close to Manchester City Centre and at the same time far enough for it to be a kind of self-contained neighbourhood with local amenities. It is expensive, but would be my first choice if I were to live in Manchester. Again with a child try looking for a house rather than apartment - a bit of a garden is definitely an asset. Not sure how expensive childcare is in Manchester, but expect kindergarten (nursery) to be about £30-40 per day. Utility bill for a 3 bed house might be around £1000 per year depending on how you use it. If you know your annual consumption you can get an estimate on uswitch.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannie34 View Post
Hi
I am moving with my husband and infant to Manchester. I was wondering if I could get a fair idea about Manchester and its outskirts.

Can anyone suggest out of the following which places are good for renting apartments & safe for expacts:

Didsbury
Chorlton
Withington
The Heatons
Wilnslow
Salfor Quay

Actually, my husband's work would be in Worsley. How is it staying in Worsley -

-Also how are the rents like in above areas?
-what are rents like for a semi-furnished apartment 3bed/2 or 2.5 or 3bath?
-How much are utility charges: eg: electricity/water/gas per month
-Any other taxes, which we dont know of ?
-Does the above places have gated community?
-Are these places safe to stay
-Medical: I know that UK is a welfare state and the INS takes care of all medicals. Are there any other medical expenses that one needs to account for?
-Education: How much are the monthly kindergarten costs?

Please share any info which we have not mentioned above and you feel we should know about at the time of our move.

Would really appreciate your help & time if anyone of you could give me a feedback.

Regards
Sannie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom