Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,930,414 times

Advertisements

Would like some info regarding living/working in Belfast.

Is it a hip city?

Is it affordable compared to other UK cities?

What is the weather like in the summer and winter?

Any other info you have would be great

Also where do People go close by in the summer/ summer homes ? I was assuming Enniskillen since it is only 1.30 mins away and lake area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 11:50 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,987 times
As regards living/working: if you have UK or EU citizenship you can fly over and look for a job just like anywhere else. Otherwise you will need to find a company to sponsor you for a work visa - your best chance would be if you have a degree in science, engineering or medicine.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
As regards living/working: if you have UK or EU citizenship you can fly over and look for a job just like anywhere else. Otherwise you will need to find a company to sponsor you for a work visa - your best chance would be if you have a degree in science, engineering or medicine.

thanks but i already know that i have dual citizenship.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,023,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
thanks but i already know that i have dual citizenship.
There are still tensions in Belfast but it's a great place to visit. We all know the Titanic was built there but despite Belfast's undeserved reputation the locals are more than welcoming to tourists no matter where they're from. The bars and restaurants are great and I love the people of Northern Ireland. Marching season increases tensions, East and North Belfast recently had some horrific riots, with many people injured, but genereally Belfast is a great place to visit.

Belfast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Dad's family are from Monaghan, near the border, you should visit Donegal while you're there, the most beautiful place in Ireland.
County Donegal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
There are still tensions in Belfast but it's a great place to visit. We all know the Titanic was built there but despite Belfast's undeserved reputation the locals are more than welcoming to tourists no matter where they're from. The bars and restaurants are great and I love the people of Northern Ireland. Marching season increases tensions, East and North Belfast recently had some horrific riots, with many people injured, but genereally Belfast is a great place to visit.

Belfast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Dad's family are from Monaghan, near the border, you should visit Donegal while you're there, the most beautiful place in Ireland.
County Donegal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you but, I like my questions to be answered I am not a tourist Lived in Both Eire and the North and have been to every county.. I now the history yaddah yaddah Yaddah...

LETS TRY THIS AGAIN >.........

IF YOU CAN GIVE ME INFO ON THE QUESTIONS BELOW.... PS I am not a toursit...I know the history I just have not been there in 8 yrs.

Is it a hip city?

Any other info you have would be great that pretains to nightlife, guys lol, fashion, any thing HIP!

Also where do People go close by in the summer/ summer homes ? I was assuming Enniskillen since it is only 1.30 mins away and lake area.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you but, I like my questions to be answered I am not a tourist Lived in Both Eire and the North and have been to every county.. I now the history yaddah yaddah Yaddah...

IF YOU CAN GIVE ME INFO ON THE QUESTIONS BELOW.... PS I am not a toursit...I know the history I just have not been there in 8 yrs.

Is it a hip city?

Any other info you have would be great that pretains to nightlife, guys lol, fashion, any thing HIP!

Currently, the temperature's averaging around 17 degrees. House prices have slumped throughout Ireland.

Enniskillen is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike in the summer.

There has been a mass exodus to the U.S, Canada and Australia amongst other places. Living costs are rising, Ireland's a much more expensive place these days, apart from the housing crash.

Employment is scarce, another aspect worrying the Northern Irish Parliament as Republican and Unionsm terrrorists are keen to exploit the financial hardships Northern Ireland currently faces to recruit vulnerable youngsters and re-ignite the bad old days. Let's hope not.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks for that info , that is what i was looking for

My family is from Enniskillen. beautiful lakes and there is this awesome castle there One of the Richest men in N. Ireland lives their with his wife. I can't remember his name.

Think what I am going to do is, visit for a few months. Stay in South Belfast. Mayb'e rent out a room at a salon for Beauty treatments. Because I don't like working for anyone if i can avoid it. down the road consider opening a Vintage clothing shop and add a beauty therapy room and rent out a chair to a hair stylist and a nail tech.

I looked at citylets and the flats to rent are so much reasonable compared to London and Dublin I lived in both citys..

I can;t give you another rep. point Fearandwhiskey but, thank you very much.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that info , that is what i was looking for

My family is from Enniskillen. beautiful lakes and there is this awesome castle there One of the Richest men in N. Ireland lives their with his wife. I can't remember his name.

Think what I am going to do is, visit for a few months. Stay in South Belfast. Mayb'e rent out a room at a salon for Beauty treatments. Because I don't like working for anyone if i can avoid it. down the road consider opening a Vintage clothing shop and add a beauty therapy room and rent out a chair to a hair stylist and a nail tech.

I looked at citylets and the flats to rent are so much reasonable compared to London and Dublin I lived in both citys..

I can;t give you another rep. point Fearandwhiskey but, thank you very much.
Good luck SUPERCHIC, hope all turns out well and that you enjoy your stay in Northern Ireland, still one of the most beautiful parts of the Earth by a country mile. I visit myself all the time, love seeing my family and the people there. Hope it all turns out for the best.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:35 AM

13 posts, read 22,161 times
Quote:

Is it a hip city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Currently, the temperature's averaging around 17 degrees. House prices have slumped throughout Ireland.

Enniskillen is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike in the summer.

There has been a mass exodus to the U.S, Canada and Australia amongst other places. Living costs are rising, Ireland's a much more expensive place these days, apart from the housing crash.

Employment is scarce, another aspect worrying the Northern Irish Parliament as Republican and Unionsm terrrorists are keen to exploit the financial hardships Northern Ireland currently faces to recruit vulnerable youngsters and re-ignite the bad old days. Let's hope not.
Some great restaurants, bars, discos, hotels, parks etc etc, I could go on but you get the drift.

Compares very favorably with other UK cities, food, going out all much the same, rent probably cheaper.

Weather is, as they say on the forecasts, very changeable. Can go from scorching hot days in summer to snow covered freezing days in winter, best to Google for averages.

A lot of people from Belfast would head to the North coast i.e. Portrush and around there for summer, also Donegal is popular. Bit closer they might head down to the Ards peninsula, or The Mournes.

There has been no mass exodus. As for terrorism recruitment, sounds like that came from the tabloids, total b****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom