Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,783,988 times

Advertisements

Would you say this has been what you've observed?

They tend to have a more distinctive way of speaking compared to say Australian or North American teens. A phrase like, 'he/she was well fit,' or something, for instance, and other pretty distinctive words/ways of phrasing things. They just seem to use more slang/colloqualisms, although it depends a lot on where they're from and class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,377,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would you say this has been what you've observed?

They tend to have a more distinctive way of speaking compared to say Australian or North American teens. A phrase like, 'he/she was well fit,' or something, for instance, and other pretty distinctive words/ways of phrasing things. They just seem to use more slang/colloqualisms, although it depends a lot on where they're from and class.
Probably, yes. I have not witnessed the same usage of slang words anywhere in the US and since you're Australian, you know how it is there.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,651,618 times
I'd say so.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 AM

13 posts, read 23,661 times
Its true,british teens can say smth that we cant understand,but what from appear theres sleng....

Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,037,675 times
I know a lot of chavvy English teens who constantly misspell words on purpose and call it "slang". Really?

Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,803,873 times
Why do you know a lot of chavvy English teens??

Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,134,479 times

SB.TV - P Money - Slang Like This [Music Video] - YouTube
You'll hear this in London and a few other of the larger cities but not in the vast majority of the country.

Great song anyway..

Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 AM

459 posts, read 720,150 times
I went to England once, and I didn't really here many teens talking, although I figured I wouldn't. I always thought that Brits in general used LESS slang than Australians, Americans or Canadians...in that we have different forms of English, which is their original language (so they would be less prone to change it).

Or does it depend on class?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,377,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
I went to England once, and I didn't really here many teens talking, although I figured I wouldn't. I always thought that Brits in general used LESS slang than Australians, Americans or Canadians...in that we have different forms of English, which is their original language (so they would be less prone to change it).

It varies more by region, IMO. Some local dialects tend to use more slang than others. Class? In some ways Britain is still class divided, but nowhere near as much as it used to be. Few people speak the queen's English anymore. In fact, much of the south east has a very "generic" accent, even traditional cockney is dying out and being replaced by estuary English.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,783,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post

On the contrary, I've heard Australian, American accents have retained more 'conservative' speech features for some reason. Kind of like how some think the Spanish spoken in Latin America is closer to the Spanish spoken during the time of King Phillip and Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom