U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,705,891 times

Advertisements

Hmm my hometown is semi rural in a county that borders Glasgow. We are very different to city people.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM

317 posts, read 370,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are they becoming more and more like city slickers? Especially as the line gets blurred: more wealthy city dwellers who buy 'escapes' in the country or even buy a nice country property within commuting distance of their place of work. To an Australian, the UK is absurdly small, and even the most remote country village is within close distance to a sizable city or town. The young people can't help but be influenced by city life and the media.

Is it getting rarer to find these traditional ways in rustic landscapes, and old-fashioned attitudes in the country?

Like the Kinks 'Village Green Preservation Society', sadly it seems the England of old is fading away to be a thing of the past.
I think in the case of the UK, generations of the so-called "country folk" are being systematically driven out of their own homes by the wealthy. The influx of second home owners that visit periodically and pay only 50% council tax has at once driven up property prices and starved rural councils of funds.

The young people in the country aren't being "influenced" by city life and the media. They're being forced into the city because they can't afford to live in the place they grew up.

Don't be fooled by distance in the UK. If you grew up in Thurso, there's no way you're within commuting distance of any work.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 AM

15,160 posts, read 15,655,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
I think in the case of the UK, generations of the so-called "country folk" are being systematically driven out of their own homes by the wealthy. The influx of second home owners that visit periodically and pay only 50% council tax has at once driven up property prices and starved rural councils of funds.

The young people in the country aren't being "influenced" by city life and the media. They're being forced into the city because they can't afford to live in the place they grew up.

Don't be fooled by distance in the UK. If you grew up in Thurso, there's no way you're within commuting distance of any work.
I very much agree with these comments.

There are still pockets of the 'old rural way of life' but are harder to find due in part to the reasons above.

I still come across older people whose accents are not easy to follow, and where a 'sister' is someone who handles legal matters.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,690,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post

There's too much such people in England, especially. You can't find a decent house in the country villages anymore that isn't under £250,000. House prices in the UK are ridiculous, it's like trying to find an affordable rural house in New Jersey . I'd love to live in the UK, but house prices scare me away from it, and I don't like living in cities with more than 10,000 people over there

Old 09-23-2012, 12:21 PM

22,256 posts, read 26,806,177 times
Rural people in Yorkshire are totally different to their city counterparts.

People here in Leeds are pretty open-minded and are more liberal, we have a lot of gay pride events and parades and everyone is very supportive of it. We also have a large West Indian carnival. There are a lot of people moving here too, from abroad and elsewhere in the UK, such as university graduates, who study for 2- 5 years and decide to stay after their course is over.

People in a village of 20 people located in back-o-beyond in the hills of North Yorkshire will be far, far more conservative in their views and are scornful and distrusting of outsiders.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM

22,256 posts, read 26,806,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's too much such people in England, especially. You can't find a decent house in the country villages anymore that isn't under £250,000. House prices in the UK are ridiculous, it's like trying to find an affordable rural house in New Jersey . I'd love to live in the UK, but house prices scare me away from it, and I don't like living in cities with more than 10,000 people over there
I don't think you love the UK, you love the idea of the idyllic England that you hear about in books and songs.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,690,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't think you love the UK, you love the idea of the idyllic England that you hear about in books and songs.
I don't know, I've been there for 6 months in a row already been all over Windsor and Maidenhead, Slough (hate it), central London (hate it), parts of Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, and Gloucestershire (all small and medium towns only) and Cirencester southern Gloucestershire is my favorite part of the south that I've been to. I've been aroun England a hell of a lot more than your average tourist, that's for sure

Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 PM

15,160 posts, read 15,655,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't know, I've been there for 6 months in a row already been all over Windsor and Maidenhead, Slough (hate it), central London (hate it), parts of Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, and Gloucestershire (all small and medium towns only) and Cirencester southern Gloucestershire is my favorite part of the south that I've been to. I've been aroun England a hell of a lot more than your average tourist, that's for sure
Don't you mean Ziren?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom