U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 AM
 
1,482 posts, read 2,019,947 times
Reputation: 881

Advertisements

Interesting different rules for the British if they cheat by crashing deliberately in a cycle race, they get to stay on and race for the gold, could not chuck a knight of the realm out of the competition ?
Yet if the Chinese cheat they get tossed out of the games, home rules apply ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 AM
 
Location: The cupboard under the sink
4,002 posts, read 8,427,687 times
Reputation: 8080
I think this story may run for a bit yet, but it is being hugely misreported.

From my understanding of it, he had just started the race when he began to lose control of his bike.
The rules allow the race to be reset if a competitor crashes, so rather than regain control and post a slow time, he chose to crash and reset the race.

Cheating ?
No, not for me, because it was within the rules.
Sometimes the rules work against us, and sometimes we can manipulate them in our favour. Perhaps the measure of a great sportsman is knowing how to push things to the extremes and react quickly to any situation which develops.

Most definitely gamesmanship, and arguably unsporting, but no more so that soccer players wasting time, or trying to make substitutions 5 minutes into extra time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 AM
 
5,655 posts, read 4,865,825 times
Reputation: 5621
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Interesting different rules for the British if they cheat by crashing deliberately in a cycle race, they get to stay on and race for the gold, could not chuck a knight of the realm out of the competition ?
Yet if the Chinese cheat they get tossed out of the games, home rules apply ?
If it's within the rules it's not cheating. Don't forget GBR had a ladies cycling pair disqualified for an infringement when they were going to be in the final.

Where was the favouritism there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 AM
 
1,482 posts, read 2,019,947 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I think this story may run for a bit yet, but it is being hugely misreported.

From my understanding of it, he had just started the race when he began to lose control of his bike.
The rules allow the race to be reset if a competitor crashes, so rather than regain control and post a slow time, he chose to crash and reset the race.

Cheating ?
No, not for me, because it was within the rules.
Sometimes the rules work against us, and sometimes we can manipulate them in our favour. Perhaps the measure of a great sportsman is knowing how to push things to the extremes and react quickly to any situation which develops.

Most definitely gamesmanship, and arguably unsporting, but no more so that soccer players wasting time, or trying to make substitutions 5 minutes into extra time.
Oh we Aussie/Kiwis have no problem playing by English/British rules as Thompson and Lillee showed with a touch of short pitched bowling.
So getting one of our weaker riders to take out the top Brit in the road races would be good form by British rules no doubt ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 AM
 
5,655 posts, read 4,865,825 times
Reputation: 5621
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Oh we Aussie/Kiwis have no problem playing by English/British rules as Thompson and Lillee showed with a touch of short pitched bowling.
So getting one of our weaker riders to take out the top Brit in the road races would be good form by British rules no doubt ?
If you say so....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 04:45 AM
 
Location: The cupboard under the sink
4,002 posts, read 8,427,687 times
Reputation: 8080
People bend the rules at sport. Sometimes they break them.
They have done ever since sport was invented.

No point moaning about it, or trying to say that any country are better or worse than any other.
They all do it. Suck it up and deal with it.

I could mention the fact that the All-blacks always get away with absolute murder, especially persistent offside at the breakdown and set pieces, just because they're the Blacks. But do I?
Do I complain about the Haka being one huge piece of gamesmanship which can give them a psychological advantage.

No.

Because I don't really care. Such is the nature of the game. Play to your strengths. If your strength is using the rules to your advantage, then so be it, that's what you play to.

In the grander scale of things, this is hardly Dick Dastardly, is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Oh we Aussie/Kiwis have no problem playing by English/British rules as Thompson and Lillee showed with a touch of short pitched bowling.
So getting one of our weaker riders to take out the top Brit in the road races would be good form by British rules no doubt ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 AM
 
1,482 posts, read 2,019,947 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
People bend the rules at sport. Sometimes they break them.
They have done ever since sport was invented.

No point moaning about it, or trying to say that any country are better or worse than any other.
They all do it. Suck it up and deal with it.

I could mention the fact that the All-blacks always get away with absolute murder, especially persistent offside at the breakdown and set pieces, just because they're the Blacks. But do I?
Do I complain about the Haka being one huge piece of gamesmanship which can give them a psychological advantage.

No.

Because I don't really care. Such is the nature of the game. Play to your strengths. If your strength is using the rules to your advantage, then so be it, that's what you play to.

In the grander scale of things, this is hardly Dick Dastardly, is it ?
Hell to be fair to Wales the ABs did the haka in the dressing room
Wales only lost by 35 points.
Could it be that British coaches could not organise a booze up in a brewery ?
So called international players who cannot throw a accurate cut out pass,
skills we believe our fifteen year olds should have down pat.

If it was not for the haka Ireland would have won rather than being hammered 60 to ?
Strange the French have no problem playing the ABs after the haka, harder minded than British players are they ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 07:17 AM
 
Location: The cupboard under the sink
4,002 posts, read 8,427,687 times
Reputation: 8080
I don't personally have a problem with the Haka, I think it's a great part of the game.

Sure, it's showmanship, and I can understand what folks mean about it being gamesmanship, but for me that's what any game is about.
"win at all costs"

Thought it was awesome a couple of years back when the Welsh just stood and stared them down.
Nice to see the French beginning to challenge the Haka too.
I heard some murmurings from some NZ'ers that it was rude and disrespectful, but that's the nature of the game ! One team challenges, the other responds

Wales vs New Zealand Haka and Response (whole video) - YouTube

As I say, that's what the game's about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Hell to be fair to Wales the ABs did the haka in the dressing room
Wales only lost by 35 points.
Could it be that British coaches could not organise a booze up in a brewery ?
So called international players who cannot throw a accurate cut out pass,
skills we believe our fifteen year olds should have down pat.

If it was not for the haka Ireland would have won rather than being hammered 60 to ?
Strange the French have no problem playing the ABs after the haka, harder minded than British players are they ?

British sport isn't really in a good place, but I think that's largely because of the whole nanny state thing.
Children just aren't encouraged to be competitive, and that carries on into adulthood.

As a Scot, I really despair for the future of many of our sports.

I know we had a good SH tour, beating the Aussies, Fiji and Samoa, but I don't think our rugby is in a healthy place just now.
Too many years of neglect by the governing bodies and the authorities/education system in general
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 13,268,445 times
Reputation: 7817
What about Daley got a second chance when he screwed up his first one?
It probably has never happened
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top