U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:50 PM

5,127 posts, read 6,663,276 times

Advertisements

I need suggestions.

I have contacts with a British company I deal with. At Christmas, they send me fabulous Scottish shortcake and several varieties of British tea. They know I'm a crazy tea addict and they send enough to keep me in tea for six months.

What American food products could I send them in return? From another thread on here, it sounds like some things don't translate well (like chocolate-covered nuts).

I want to send American products that will be a hit with British tastes. BTW, they are world travelers and come to the U.S. often.

Ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 AM

9,080 posts, read 4,936,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I need suggestions.

I have contacts with a British company I deal with. At Christmas, they send me fabulous Scottish shortcake and several varieties of British tea. They know I'm a crazy tea addict and they send enough to keep me in tea for six months.

What American food products could I send them in return? From another thread on here, it sounds like some things don't translate well (like chocolate-covered nuts).

I want to send American products that will be a hit with British tastes. BTW, they are world travelers and come to the U.S. often.

Ideas?
Ha ha Ha no definitely not chocolate covered nuts

I took smores ingredients with me when I visited recently. Managed to get about 12 bags of marshmallows and graham crackers in my very large suitcase...! UK marshmallows are entirely different, not nearly as good as the US ones and you can't get graham crackers at all - there's nothing like them over there. You would probably need to send instructions on how to make them - they wouldn't even have a clue what they were. If you want to send chocolate too please make it Ghiradelli. Actually make really good smores IMHO.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:22 AM

3,999 posts, read 8,281,247 times
Shiner Bock.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 AM

Oh my God. I'm laughing so hard. S'mores?!!!

I am the last American to send S'mores. I have never had a S'more in my life. In fact, I was given a "S'more Kit" recently, and didn't even have the patience to make them properly. I smashed a marshmallow and piece of chocolate between the graham crackers and ate it - didn't even bother to roast the marshmallow.

Didn't like the taste and threw the rest out.

Let's go back to the drawing board. Next!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,662,695 times
Oreo Cookies. My mum took some back to UK after a visit and all her friends and coworkers were delighted with them.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 AM

670 posts, read 839,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Oreo Cookies. My mum took some back to UK after a visit and all her friends and coworkers were delighted with them.
Oh no not Oreos, you can buy them every where, even in sweet shops and gas stations.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM

You people are batting zero so far.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Items I've considered:

Pancake Mix and Maple Syrup

Brownies

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Carrot Cake

Lemon Cake

Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,662,695 times
Why not send them something other than food? All the things you've suggested are available in the UK too.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM

I don't know ... they send me food. I can get the shortbread here, but would have trouble finding the specific teas they send, so appreciate it.

How available are the items I listed? What if I send one that is homemade? Surprised a pancake mix would be easily available.

I was just reading another British site and cornbread seems to be a big hit. They were lamenting not being able to get it in the U.K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom