Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 14,647 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have some quick questions to ask from anyone who lives in Manchester or is familiar with the area about unique neighborhoods with things that are happening that are new and exciting. I am a graduate student at Texas A&M University studying Landscape Architecture. I am taking a Architecture history class that focuses on understanding the cultural significance of a neighborhood of a city.

I am looking for any suggestions for neighborhoods in Manchester that in your opinion where "it is happening". Not a tourist thingy or something that every person knows about, but something unique. A unique neighborhood where something interesting is happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

You can also email me with any of this stuff

sklater@ gmail . com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 AM

16,708 posts, read 17,488,479 times
I looked up Salford Quays, which I understood to be a newish development, and one where the BBC have set up a new centre. In doing so I found this link which may interest you;

The Quays

As an aside I have visited the campus at TX A&M and enjoyed it very much.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,945,101 times
A modern neighborhood or historic? You say you're taking an architecture history class but are looking for a "happening" place which sounds more modern.

For modern, I agree with the suggestion of the Salford Quays - very modern architecture, lots of unique buildings, nice area with many apartments, restaurants, shopping, and new home of the BBC. Very "happening". It also has lots of history, with the canals being the heart of the industrial revolution. But most of historic structures are gone (apart from the canals themselves). It might be a bit touristy, given the BBC being there and Old Trafford (Manchester United Stadium) being right across the canal. I do see lots of people there taking pictures of the stadium and the area in general but that might just be because it's a photogenic place.

If you're looking for historic buildings, check out Castlefield. Cobblestones and lots of older structures which have been turned into modern apartment buildings, restaurants and pubs, etc and therefore it's an eclectic mix of old and new. It's a lovely place also on the canals where many narrowboats dock. It's also popular in the summer since there's a lot of open space to hang out - there's occasionally small outdoor music or theater events which take place there.

Didsbury is also a "happening" place with a main street, lots of shopping, restaurants, etc - it is described as "swanky" and heavy on the "cafe culture" on Wikipedia but being further out from center city than the other two places I've mentioned, it may be lesser known to tourists. It has some older structures too - there's a GREAT historic pub there just called "The Didsbury".

As a resident of Manchester, those are my favorite "unique" places.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 14,647 times
Think of the neighborhood as being either historic or modern. The age of the neighborhood doesn't matter, but the activity that is occuring within this neighborhood should be something new. For example. Going to Manchester, United is a new area, but it's not something unique and new, as everyone knows about them. The Manchester Cathedral is an historic building, yet visiting it is something all tourists do. So I'm not exactly looking for a new development per se, but maybe something that is changing, something that is new that is making a particular neighborhood better than it was before. Could be a new sport, new activities, new clubs, maybe there is a community garden going in that is doing well. Maybe the new "scuttler" gangs have a new outreach program that is getting them to do something productive.

What I'm trying to say is that an outsider may not know about this, but someone local who knows the area very well may know of something happening in their neighborhood that will set it apart. Sort of like how the "Warehouse Project" began.

thanks guys and gals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom