Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,959,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Not an NFL fan, but I remember going to an Auburn-Georgia Tech game in Atlanta several years back. We had to ride the subway in to their campus. It was absolutely electric being on the subway with hundreds of people in the trains and thousands in the stations wearing their school's colors while simultaneously singing their fight songs and chanting their cheers. Got to the stadium, and there was still a fair bit of tailgating right in the heart of Atlanta. The good guys lost that day in horrific fashion, but that's still my favorite road trip (and it would take quite a lot to top it).
When I am back home in Glasgow .... we head for the pub around 12.00 ... then onto the subway at 2.15pm for a game that starts at 3.00pm. For early start games like Rangers v Celtic (12.15pm) you need to get to the pub especially early. Two or three pints of lager (breakfast of champions) and then onto the subway.

Was on the subway one time and the Bears were doing 'the bouncy'. The subway driver threatened to stop the train because she thought that the movement might cause it to derail

One time we were playing Hibs and there was just one Hibs fan on the train. He didn't give a flying one that he was outnumbered 500-1. The jokes and banter that was going back and forth was brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 PM

12,622 posts, read 13,973,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
True enough - I did an analysis of responses from Brits/people that live in UK - the answer to the OP's question as to whether we wanted an NFL team (or conference) was a resounding "Nope".

Good for the UK. Sports are a big cultural part of a nation. Football is a tradition there, and I hope it never changes. Same with our football. I would never want to see an NFL team outside the US.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM

317 posts, read 413,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol so I have the problem? Pot, kettle, black! The ones who can't take criticism or handle the truth! Nothing I have said is false.

Could understand if I said anything below the belt but an opinion that is shared by many including Americans?! This is a forum get off if your so sensitive.
??? To hear you complain of the behaviour from the American side that you yourself have earlier exhibited on behalf of that stinkhole Glasgow is merely ironic, that's all. To each their own.

Meanwhile, let the Yanks enjoy stuff themselves with beer and BBQ at their tailgate parties while you try your best to avoid getting tetanus at Celtic Park. Enjoy.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 PM

54 posts, read 59,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
??? To hear you complain of the behaviour from the American side that you yourself have earlier exhibited on behalf of that stinkhole Glasgow is merely ironic, that's all. To each their own.

Meanwhile, let the Yanks enjoy stuff themselves with beer and BBQ at their tailgate parties while you try your best to avoid getting tetanus at Celtic Park. Enjoy.
True and funny

Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,086,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
True enough - I did an analysis of responses from Brits/people that live in UK - the answer to the OP's question as to whether we wanted an NFL team (or conference) was a resounding "Nope".
And there you have it really, in the UK we like our football, in the US they like 'theirs'. An American prefers the rather genteel atmosphere of barbeques, cheerleaders, hotdogs and hats, the British prefer a hard edged, electric, hair raising, segregated, intimidating atmosphere. Neither sport is the 'right' sport but as for the question 'does the UK want an NFL team in London' the answer seems to be a resounding no, but just as much the question 'does the US want an NFL team in London' also seems to be a resounding no! I think the powers that be in the NFL world should leave well alone!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,868,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post

I'm a Dundee fan

And nothing in Finland can compare to an Glasgow Derby so slate Glasgow all you want, I love the place!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 AM

16,707 posts, read 17,486,636 times
No Old Firm league clashes for a while to come!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 AM

54 posts, read 59,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
And there you have it really, in the UK we like our football, in the US they like 'theirs'. An American prefers the rather genteel atmosphere of barbeques, cheerleaders, hotdogs and hats, the British prefer a hard edged, electric, hair raising, segregated, intimidating atmosphere. Neither sport is the 'right' sport but as for the question 'does the UK want an NFL team in London' the answer seems to be a resounding no, but just as much the question 'does the US want an NFL team in London' also seems to be a resounding no! I think the powers that be in the NFL world should leave well alone!

Yup, they should listed to 10 or 15 people arguing about the amount a ball is "in play" when making decisions on expanding a $9bn sports league

Expansion is about 'building and growing' a market. That is why there has been 1 game per year in England, with two scheduled for this year. I think the permanent placement of a team is a long way off and the NFL won't consider that until the time is right.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,868,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
No Old Firm league clashes for a while to come!
Which will make it more exciting when it does come They could meet in the cup this season.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,462,782 times
It's hard enough to convince many American athletes to want to play in Canada, left alone Europe. I know Roger Goodell would love to see this. He desperately want to export the game. Myself, I oppose it. And I think most people in both the UK and USA would oppose this. I wouldn't even want to see a team in Toronto. Let rest of the world have their sports. We'll have our football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom