Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,859,930 times

Advertisements

Why wouldn't you want you're sport global? If it was played around the world you could have national teams and a world cup.

You could be the New Zealand (Rugby) or Spain (Football) of Gridiron!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,452,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Why wouldn't you want you're sport global? If it was played around the world you could have national teams and a world cup.

Personal preferences, and I'm far from the only one. We're pretty insular as a nation, so what we've got right now works just fine. A world cup would not generate nearly the same amount of interest as the Super Bowl already does.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:50 AM

You can still have the super bowl, Europe has the champions league in Football which is regarded as the best club competition and theres still a world cup every 4 years.

Fair dos though its your game. Doubt there would be enough countries anyway.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM

54 posts, read 59,720 times
Quote:

I don't really care. I like it and hope they keep bringing a game here so I can go, but I don't really care if other people like it or not.

Rugby is my first sport and I live the World Cup but its still just 20 teams, 15 of which has absolutely no chance of making the final.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Look I 'm just throwing ideas out there!

If Americans love it so much and want it kept in the states theres no point in talking about it in the UK forum!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,772,322 times
Quote:
i recognize that chant from a pink floyd song ....

anyway, besides the chanting thing, i don't think the atmosphere is that much different from a big american football game. The traditions are obviously different but the energy level seems the same, and stadiums are similarly sized as well.

Quote:
I am just showing the atmosphere in the UK because a few have said it was boring. Watch it, nowhere in America can compete, its not an insult just a fact, can you just ever admit that your country isn't the "best" at every little thing?
i don't think soccer is boring, i think the UK has a great atmosphere. however i think it is definitely comparable to the bigger NFL and college football teams.

Here is an amusing video I was watching recently, of Stephen Fry's experience at a college football game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4tTgPYuavk

Last edited by le roi; 12-12-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM

that said, after seeing this video , i can see why the UK is turned off by american football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utsHE5xWges

Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM

"Besides the chanting" ??

Thats what makes an atmosphere!

Barcelona stars praise Celtic atmosphere - ESPN FC

"The stadium was spectacular," Vilanova told Canal Plus. "I have been lucky in my career to have been to many grounds, but I have never seen anything like it. This was their 125th birthday and I wish them many more years."

Xavi, who played in a similar atmosphere when Barca exited the UEFA Cup at Celtic Park in 2004, was also generous in his praise for Celtic's fans.

"(The stadium) is a marvel, the fans, the people, how they support their team," he added. "It is an example for every team."

I know American atmosphere can be great, its just I prefer the singing and bouncing up and down atmosphere lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,957,427 times
Quote:

Personally I think the NFL does a lot for national unity and bringing the country together despite political differences. When I was a kid we used to collect mini NFL helmets, and being a geography lover I would try to learn as much as I could about each part of the country that NFL team was in.

Something a Brit could never feel growing up watchin your Premier League is viewing a Green Bay game one minute in freezing, snowcovered conditions, and then watching a sunny, beautiful warm Miami Dolphins, San Diego Chargers game, or the snow covered Rockies in a Broncos game. And then having the feeling that you just thought it so cool that your country had all these diff places where you could live and still be in America. Our nation is huge and much more geographically and climatically diverse than the small island you live on. And the NFL unites it all.

I would never want a team in Canada or the UK. Am glad you have your football, and hope it stays that way.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
"Besides the chanting" ??

Thats what makes an atmosphere!

"(The stadium) is a marvel, the fans, the people, how they support their team," he added. "It is an example for every team."

I know American atmosphere can be great, its just I prefer the singing and bouncing up and down atmosphere lol.
American football teams have chants, just not ones as elaborate and long as those.

i personally don't think an NFL team would do well in London, although I would like to see them try. Overall I think Mexico is the best target for NFL expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom