Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,850,606 times

Advertisements

I don't have an opinion on it I enjoy a game here and there, but like you say its up to Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
personally i think the nfl does a lot for national unity and bringing the country together despite political differences. When i was a kid we used to collect mini nfl helmets, and being a geography lover i would try to learn as much as i could about each part of the country that nfl team was in.

Something a brit could never feel growing up watchin your premier league is viewing a green bay game one minute in freezing, snowcovered conditions, and then watching a sunny, beautiful warm miami dolphins, san diego chargers game, or the snow covered rockies in a broncos game. And then having the feeling that you just thought it so cool that your country had all these diff places where you could live and still be in america. Our nation is huge and much more geographically and climatically diverse than the small island you live on. And the nfl unites it all. :d

i would never want a team in canada or the uk. Am glad you have your football, and hope it stays that way.
true dat.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Lol Tom, none of us want it :s

I know your countries huge and mines is small but I prefer being in a continent with fairly small, geographically, countries that I can easily get to. I watch the champions league and football leagues from Croatia and Greece to Sweden, I can also go and live in them being a EU citizen. Something an NFL fan can never do is go abroad to follow your team, so whats your point?

Celts In Seville - YouTube

Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post

I know your countries huge and mines is small but I prefer being in a continent with fairly small, geographically, countries that I can easily get to. I watch the champions league and football leagues from Croatia and Greece to Sweden, I can also go and live in them being a EU citizen. Something an NFL fan can never do is go abroad to follow your team, so whats your point?
We don't WANT to go abroad to follow our team. In Texas alone, it would take me four hours to drive to a Houston Texans game - and I live in east Texas (Houston is also in east Texas, in case you don't realize that). It takes me 8 hours to get to a Saints home game.

So what's YOUR point?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 PM

That's my point! I said you live in a huge country and I prefer to live in a congested continent, we are agreeing.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
That's my point! I said you live in a huge country and I prefer to live in a congested continent, we are agreeing.
OK - what you also said was this:

Quote:
Something an NFL fan can never do is go abroad to follow your team, so whats your point?
You say it like it's a bad thing. I think it's a good thing.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
so whats your point?

My point was that the NFL, and football in general, plays a hugh cultural national role in the USA. A London or UK team would ruin the NFL, imo. I was simply pointing out the role football plays in our national consciousness.

A very famous JFK speech about our goal of putting a man on the moon, a speech woven into our national fabric, even used a football reference, and one I love. Only an American would get it:

"But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard,......"

Our football is American thru and thru. That is my point.

No ill will toward the UK, but the idea of "god save the queen" before an NFL game would turn my stomach.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 AM

684 posts, read 825,436 times
Quote:
I live in Britain and I do.

I would, in fact, buy season tickets.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Actually, you live on a congested island to be more accurate. The entire land area of the UK is 6,551 sq miles smaller than NY state and PA put together.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,808 times
Look let's be honest. I like most Brits would rather watch paint dry than sit through an NFL game. I understand your love for your national game tom and I respect that, but don't worry the NFL will never take root outside of the US.

But I do wish the winners of the superbowl & the world series would stop calling themselves world champions when the only competition comes from North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom