Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 AM

54 posts, read 59,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Look let's be honest. I like most Brits would rather watch paint dry than sit through an NFL game. I understand your love for your national game tom and I respect that, but don't worry the NFL will never take root outside of the US.

But I do wish the winners of the superbowl & the world series would stop calling themselves world champions when the only competition comes from North America.

This is very typical and very subtle, but condescending criticism. Don't we call snooker champs "world champions"? Isn't it the same with darts? Bowls? Does every country play in the rugby World Cup?

Yes, it's not really accurate (although you could argue that anyone from any country can play in the NFL), but your posts come accross in a very arrogant manner and in my opinion, not particularly well thought out. You may prefer to "watch paint dry" and that's up to you, but I firmly believe you're not being entirely honest. I mean how could that be possible, really?? (Rhetorical)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
I live in Britain and I do.

I would, in fact, buy season tickets.
Yeah but you're Canadian. Did you grow up watching it and loving it like I did?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
I know a few people in the UK (English) and quite a few Irish that love the NFL. Its been tried before with the Euro NFL and it failed. Not sure why, marketing, wrong time I don't know.

For people that don't know I am Irish born and raised (20 odd years there) and live in the US now. American Football is incredibly boring to watch on TV, way too many breaks to keep me attention. 4 to 15 seconds of play for a 3 minute break. Its not a good setup to break into a new market IMHO. I liked watching the LA Raiders on C4 years ago as it was cut to shreds and all we saw was games. Now its totally different if you go to games, the overall spectacle of the NFL and even College ball is very entertaining. Its much easier to enjoy American Football when you are at the game and it does keep your interest and can get you hooked. I do consider myself an ND fan! But still no NFL team to support. I watch the Texans games at sports bars and the atmosphere is pretty good there and that makes it enjoyable. It is harder trying to watch the game for the first time with a couple of friends at the house though.

The attitude is quite similar for Americans towards "real" football too. Ive turned many of them into fans of the sport since I made them watch the games with me at work for 2010 and games after that.

Both sports are good in their own way and own spectacle. Id still go to a Shelbourne game over a Giants game any day though

Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Is hockey or basketball popular in the U.K? Those are the only sports I can watch without falling asleep.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Ice Hockey is fairly popular, my small city (160,000) has 2 professional teams, I like it.

Dundee Stars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dundee Tigers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a UK league, teams from England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom