Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Talk about hair-brained schemes. I think the UK would sooner become the 51st state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Honestly, I don't think an NFL team would even be realistic in London. Jet lag would be a huge problem, not to mention the time differences.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Honestly, I don't think an NFL team would even be realistic in London. Jet lag would be a huge problem, not to mention the time differences.
I'd imagine a London NFL team would probably be composed mostly of Americans anyway, just like their soccer teams are mostly foreigners.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I know American football isn't necessarily popular in London, but at the same time it's a global city with millions of people. Most NFL stadiums number between 65-95,000 with Dallas exceeding 100k: basically, I would guess there's enough interest in London to regularly fill a 70,000 person stadium considering there's probably triple that number of Americans living there as expats. So what do you think? Is an NFL team in London a possibility? Is there support?

Eventually there could be a team in London, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds (I just wikipedia'd the top 4 most populous metro areas in the UK ) and y'all could form your own conference.
It's been done before, remember NFL Europe?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
I'd like to posit the familiar American argument that soccer is boring, rugby is irrelevant, and cricket is a joke. While I really can't stand American football beyond the college level, and am completely uninterested in basketball, I have an interest in hockey as a pretty entertaining sport, but Baseball is the center of the known Universe. There is no other game that contains the grace, depth, and excitement of Baseball(for me). That being said, while owing to other cities for the foundation of my team, My Atlanta Braves are the oldest continually operating Baseball club.(By the way, is there a better city name than Atlanta?) All in fun folks, on a very subjective subject. I still think I'm right.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Cricket is great. Always found it a pity that I can't meet more fans.

I think it is a bad idea. I think whichever team has to take the transAtlantic flight will be at a disadvantage with weekly games especially later in the season as the accumulated bumps and bruises of the season need longer to heal and more therapy to do so. You could try to fix the schedule with byes to give the travelling team 2 weeks off before the game, but the London team would probably always have some weekly games.

While the fanbase doesn't necessarily need to be there (ie tv dollars and merchandising make the money not ticket sales and in this case the plan is to use the exposure to grow the sport/league outside North America), it will look bad to have a mostly empty stadium week after week, and I see no reason to believe that won't be the case most years after the first season. The TC posits 210000 American expats in London (and realistically you should include Canadians and probably Mexicans in that number as well), but it ignores the fact that a metro area with 210000 would never get a franchise in the US (again because it would look bad on tv to see empty seats and isn't as merchandisable as a team in a larger city). The NFL doesn't and never will have th drawing power of a top college team wherein you play in a town with population significantly smaller than your stadium capacity and count on being at or near capacity year in and year out especially if it is located outside US or Canada where the sport is liked and understood. On top of that going by performance in NFL Europe Germany is the European country most open to embracing football. The German teams had the best attendance, and you have had some college and maybe even one or two NFL quality (not sure) players come out of Germany as something other than a kicker.

Overall though I think the NFL has talked about it enough that they will try it sometime barring a new commissioner. With scheduling it gives them a late or early game on the weekend. They will try to build a fanbase over 10-20 years, and then relaunch a league in Europe.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd imagine a London NFL team would probably be composed mostly of Americans anyway, just like their soccer teams are mostly foreigners.
What would that have to do with jetlag? Flying 7 hours across the atlantic to play games is certainly more than any teams currently have to endure.

In 25+ years when jet technology improves where we can have 3 hour trans atlantic flights i can see cross continental teams springing up. There's not even a team in toronto or LA for that matter so London is still very far off down the line of sight.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
5 hour time difference isn't much but 8hours is.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I know American football isn't necessarily popular in London, but at the same time it's a global city with millions of people. Most NFL stadiums number between 65-95,000 with Dallas exceeding 100k: basically, I would guess there's enough interest in London to regularly fill a 70,000 person stadium considering there's probably triple that number of Americans living there as expats. So what do you think? Is an NFL team in London a possibility? Is there support?

Eventually there could be a team in London, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds (I just wikipedia'd the top 4 most populous metro areas in the UK
) and y'all could form your own conference.
Doesn't anybody like there to be differences in countries? It would be boring if everyone had all the same things.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
This has been done several times in the London forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/londo...e-wembley.html

Even if you could get bums on seats, there will never be the same passion for a game we haven't grown up with or known culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom