Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

American football is just too American to be exported. Baseball has been exported to Latin America, Korea and Japan, I think basketball is the most successful international export of America's big 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Reputation: 101073
I don't care whether there's an NFL team in the UK or not - but it seems like a stretch to me. Between the time zone differences and the cultural differences, it doesn't seem like a real lucrative idea, but who knows?

GEAUX, SAINTS! Getting ready to watch a little AMERICAN FOOTBALL in a little while! Yeee-haw!



I do feel sorry for anyone who hasn't ever enjoyed a Friday night high school football game in a small southern US town. There are few pleasures in life that are so pure and uplifting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Reputation: 9813
It would be a terrible move, there is no interest for the game here, there may be enough American ex-pats to fill a stadium for the odd one off match but for a season? I highly doubt it. Besides it would be extremely unfair on Americans, I cant imagine for one minute that Americans would embrace the idea either! And what about the time difference? wouldnt that be a little 'awkward'? The other thing is that the sport gets zero coverage by the media, that would need to change before a move like this happens. Also the game is perceived as a little dull by the English, I'm sure thats only because we dont have a clue about the rules, but an awful lot of standing around doing nothing appears to take place? I think the sporting culture is just too different for it to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM
 
14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Reputation: 13807
Brits don't want to watch a game that has more stoppages than action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Reputation: 101073
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It would be a terrible move, there is no interest for the game here, there may be enough American ex-pats to fill a stadium for the odd one off match but for a season? I highly doubt it. Besides it would be extremely unfair on Americans, I cant imagine for one minute that Americans would embrace the idea either! And what about the time difference? wouldnt that be a little 'awkward'? The other thing is that the sport gets zero coverage by the media, that would need to change before a move like this happens. Also the game is perceived as a little dull by the English, I'm sure thats only because we dont have a clue about the rules, but an awful lot of standing around doing nothing appears to take place? I think the sporting culture is just too different for it to work.
American football has complex rules - which are part of the attraction. There's a lot of strategy and a lot of winning or losing by inches.

Until I learned the basics of the rules, I didn't like American football at all. Now I LOVE it. And apparently lots of other people do too - our stadiums are packed for every game, from tiny high school games in little towns, to huge NFL professional events. Our bars are packed during games, with yelling fans. It's definitely an American game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 PM
 
5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Reputation: 8396
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
American football has complex rules - which are part of the attraction. There's a lot of strategy and a lot of winning or losing by inches.
I'm an American who isn't a football fan. My business partner however, follows a certain college team. I don't know all the rules because I've never cared, but after watching some games with him for years and having the explanations, it becomes interesting.

It's so true what you said. The winning and losing hinge on so little sometimes.

That's part of why I have refused to learn the rules completely. I'm afraid my Saturdays will get swallowed up if I know enough to become really interested. I've seen it happen to so many people who never cared before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Reputation: 101073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I'm an American who isn't a football fan. My business partner however, follows a certain college team. I don't know all the rules because I've never cared, but after watching some games with him for years and having the explanations, it becomes interesting.

It's so true what you said. The winning and losing hinge on so little sometimes.

That's part of why I have refused to learn the rules completely. I'm afraid my Saturdays will get swallowed up if I know enough to become really interested. I've seen it happen to so many people who never cared before.

LOL I either learned the rules or became a football widow.

Lucky for me (and my husband), much to my surprise and his, I fell in love with the game! And it's only on on Thursdays, and Fridays (high school) and Saturdays (college) and Sundays (NFL) and Mondays (NFL) for about 6 months out of the year...so that leaves plenty of time for other interests...right...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 AM
 
5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Reputation: 8396
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And it's only on on Thursdays, and Fridays (high school) and Saturdays (college) and Sundays (NFL) and Mondays (NFL) for about 6 months out of the year...so that leaves plenty of time for other interests...right...?
Thanks for illustrating my point so beautifully!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 AM
 
Location: England
3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
Reputation: 3256
Jaggy's point about lack of action in American football hit the nail squarely on the head. It takes an NFL game three hours to complete and has on average 12/13 minutes of actual play.

The average play takes six seconds, so with, let's say, 120 plays per game means that only 5% of the game is action. That's why, in a nutshell, American football has failed to spread successfully beyond the USA, people want to see some action, not very large guys standing around scratching their butts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Texas
44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Reputation: 73931
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Jaggy's point about lack of action in American football hit the nail squarely on the head. It takes an NFL game three hours to complete and has on average 12/13 minutes of actual play.

The average play takes six seconds, so with, let's say, 120 plays per game means that only 5% of the game is action. That's why, in a nutshell, American football has failed to spread successfully beyond the USA, people want to see some action, not very large guys standing around scratching their butts.
If your definition of action is watching people run back and forth chasing a ball around and basically accomplishing nothing (with about the same number of seconds of possible impending excitement)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top