Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times

Advertisements

Not particularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
American football has complex rules - which are part of the attraction. There's a lot of strategy and a lot of winning or losing by inches.

Until I learned the basics of the rules, I didn't like American football at all. Now I LOVE it. And apparently lots of other people do too - our stadiums are packed for every game, from tiny high school games in little towns, to huge NFL professional events. Our bars are packed during games, with yelling fans. It's definitely an American game.
American football is renowned for having a 'flat' atmosphere, I dont think it can compete with the atmosphere of football (soccer) teams around the world. What you say about packed stadiums and bars could be said about the British and our football. As for the 'lack of action' I think its perhaps just that the sporting culture between America and the rest of the world is very different

Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Jaggy's point about lack of action in American football hit the nail squarely on the head. It takes an NFL game three hours to complete and has on average 12/13 minutes of actual play.

The average play takes six seconds, so with, let's say, 120 plays per game means that only 5% of the game is action. That's why, in a nutshell, American football has failed to spread successfully beyond the USA, people want to see some action, not very large guys standing around scratching their butts.
Wow. You REALLY don't understand the game.

Each quarter is 15 minutes long. That is one hour of actual play - with the ball in action on the field somewhere.

But the other time is taken up largely with instant replay, which focuses on the fine details of each play - slow motion, various elements of each play that would be hard to catch in all the simultaneous action. For instance, you may be watching the ball in the center of the screen and miss an outstanding block or a personal foul because you simply can't watch every person at the same time. So instant replay captures those other interesting elements and allows us to see more of what each play actually takes to be successful or unsuccessful.

Also, there are rulings on the field, which to a football fan are VERY interesting. So you think that play was successful for the defense? Well, let's take a closer look at that. Oops, maybe it would have been, but this guy just had a personal foul, so there's a fifteen yard penalty - when they would have been in the red zone otherwise! Suddenly the game has changed!

Watching and understanding a football game actually does take some thought and knowledge of the sport.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I'm an American and our football is soooooooooooo boring. To an uneducated observer like me, it's a group of men with really thick necks (so they can butt each other with their heads) who run this way and that and end up lying in pigpiles.

Zero interest.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
American football is renowned for having a 'flat' atmosphere
Have you ever actually BEEN to an American football game?

Quote:
, I dont think it can compete with the atmosphere of football (soccer) teams around the world.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but we're not competing with anyone for game popularity. We don't have to. American football is WILDLY popular in the US - and frankly, that's what matters to us.

Quote:
What you say about packed stadiums and bars could be said about the British and our football.
I know, and more power to ya. You don't see me lambasting soccer/European football - and I wouldn't, because even though I am not into it and am markedly uninterested in it, I don't think that people the world over are foolish or weird for liking it. FUN FOR ALL! I'm all in favor of as much fun for everyone as possible!

Quote:
As for the 'lack of action' I think its perhaps just that the sporting culture between America and the rest of the world is very different
Sporting cultures vary the world over - it's not just "America vs the rest of the world" when it comes to sporting cultures. By the way, speaking of soccer, not sure if you realize this, but it's a pretty big deal in the US, and continues to grow in popularity each year. So you see, we enjoy TWO sorts of football in this country! Football and then...FOOTBALL!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm an American and our football is soooooooooooo boring. To an uneducated observer like me, it's a group of men with really thick necks (so they can butt each other with their heads) who run this way and that and end up lying in pigpiles.

Zero interest.
Right -unless you understand at least the basic rules, it makes no sense to watch.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Yes I have .... twice (Eagles & Cardinals) and I enjoyed it both times. Great atmosphere but very different to 'soccer'. I actually like NFL but 'soccer' will always be my first love and that despite having played rugby for 13 years.

Quote:
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but we're not competing with anyone for game popularity. We don't have to. American football is WILDLY popular in the US - and frankly, that's what matters to us.
But this thread is about an NFL team in London which, last time I looked, is not in the USA.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I know, and more power to ya. You don't see me lambasting soccer/European football - and I wouldn't, because even though I am not into it and am markedly uninterested in it, I don't think that people the world over are foolish or weird for liking it. FUN FOR ALL! I'm all in favor of as much fun for everyone as possible!

Sporting cultures vary the world over - it's not just "America vs the rest of the world" when it comes to sporting cultures. By the way, speaking of soccer, not sure if you realize this, but it's a pretty big deal in the US, and continues to grow in popularity each year. So you see, we enjoy TWO sorts of football in this country! Football and then...FOOTBALL!
No but Ive had members of my family that have lived in the US for a while and they tried it while they were there, they said that there is no atmosphere at the stadium, they tried baseball too and said it was even worse! Perhaps you should try attending a football game in the UK to compare? I think you will be suprised! I know that there is a small interest in the US for football (soccer) now, I have seen Matt Damon at Stamford Bridge and I see there was Tom Cruise at the City / United game yesterday but I dont know what the atmosphere is like at the US football (soccer) stadiums. I really am not trying to put down American Football, like I said the sporting culture is just very very different, what you said about replays and analysing play is something abhorrent to UK sports fans, we like our game to 'flow' for 90 minutes, there is a difference between the US and the rest of the world, I think the rest of the world generally plays football rather than American football and therefore I would think that what they like in a sporting context tends to mirror the English rather than the American psyche (again I am not suggesting one is right and one is wrong).

Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No but Ive had members of my family that have lived in the US for a while and they tried it while they were there, they said that there is no atmosphere at the stadium, they tried baseball too and said it was even worse! Perhaps you should try attending a football game in the UK to compare? I think you will be suprised! I know that there is a small interest in the US for football (soccer) now, I have seen Matt Damon at Stamford Bridge and I see there was Tom Cruise at the City / United game yesterday but I dont know what the atmosphere is like at the US football (soccer) stadiums. I really am not trying to put down American Football, like I said the sporting culture is just very very different, what you said about replays and analysing play is something abhorrent to UK sports fans, we like our game to 'flow' for 90 minutes, there is a difference between the US and the rest of the world, I think the rest of the world generally plays football rather than American football and therefore I would think that what they like in a sporting context tends to mirror the English rather than the American psyche (again I am not suggesting one is right and one is wrong).

All these sports debates are very subjective, and based on where a person grew up and the sports played. We are used to the atmosphere in our stadiums and are fine with it. The NFL isn't losing a fan base here. People in the US like all kinds of sports. More power to the UK and the fans there. Sports watching and playing seem to something that at least all of humanity has an interest in. Am glad about that.

Some people here are really into basketball or baseball and eschew football. Others love football the most. All depends on taste and family upbringing I think. I love baseball, but does my father, my grandfather did, etc.

You mention "rest of the world". Australia doesn't seem very much into soccer, nor Canada. There are Latin American countries like Cuba where baseball is adored. I really don't think you should make this a US sporting taste diff than the entire world.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
All these sports debates are very subjective, and based on where a person grew up and the sports played. We are used to the atmosphere in our stadiums and are fine with it. The NFL isn't losing a fan base here. People in the US like all kinds of sports. More power to the UK and the fans there. Sports watching and playing seem to something that at least all of humanity has an interest in. Am glad about that.

Some people here are really into basketball or baseball and eschew football. Others love football the most. All depends on taste and family upbringing I think. I love baseball, but does my father, my grandfather did, etc.

You mention "rest of the world". Australia doesn't seem very much into soccer, nor Canada. There are Latin American countries like Cuba where baseball is adored. I really don't think you should make this a US sporting taste diff than the entire world.
If I am coming accross as condescending about sporting culture please believe me when I say I dont mean to be, I just think, like you highlighted, Americans have a different sporting psyche, I dont think the way sports work in the US is worse or better than elsewhere, I just feel its very 'different'. I think in Australia there is a following for football (soccer) but their main sports are perhaps rugby and Aussie rules football, both rugby and Aussie rules are games that 'flow' a bit like football (soccer). American football is still very different, like a previous poster said the game is about analysing the play during the game!! There are very many breaks in play that dont really happen the same way in other nations ball sports?? Because of this different 'attitude' in the way the sport is viewed I just dont think that (at this moment in time) American football would do very well in the UK. Tell me Tom, as an American would'nt you be a little 'peeved' if the powers that be in the NFL tried to station a team in the UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom