Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If I am coming accross as condescending about sporting culture please believe me when I say I dont mean to be, I just think, like you highlighted, Americans have a different sporting psyche, I dont think the way sports work in the US is worse or better than elsewhere, I just feel its very 'different'. I think in Australia there is a following for football (soccer) but their main sports are perhaps rugby and Aussie rules football, both rugby and Aussie rules are games that 'flow' a bit like football (soccer). American football is still very different, like a previous poster said the game is about analysing the play during the game!! There are very many breaks in play that dont really happen the same way in other nations ball sports?? Because of this different 'attitude' in the way the sport is viewed I just dont think that (at this moment in time) American football would do very well in the UK. Tell me Tom, as an American would'nt you be a little 'peeved' if the powers that be in the NFL tried to station a team in the UK?
Not peeved, but think it is stupid. I could barely watch those NFL games played in London with the Brits decked out in NFL garb. Just smacks of cultural imperalism to me. If fans in the UK have an interest in the NFL, come over here and watch it.

The 13 yo son of my very good friend from school just got back from the UK. He went over with another family to tour around the UK watching football (your football). Was great to chat with the kid last weekend all about his trip. He now wants to go to college in the UK.

And yes, the last thing I would want to see is an NFL team in London. The NFL is a "national", as in United States league, not international. Football evolved here and is a very, very American thing. The teams all have the stars and stripes on their helmets. The games are very much an American themed event with the national anthem and tributes to the Armed Forces.

I couldn't stomach a Union Jack on our NFL football helmets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not peeved, but think it is stupid. I could barely watch those NFL games played in London with the Brits decked out in NFL garb. Just smacks of cultural imperalism to me. If fans in the UK have an interest in the NFL, come over here and watch it.

The 13 yo son of my very good friend from school just got back from the UK. He went over with another family to tour around the UK watching football (your football). Was great to chat with the kid last weekend all about his trip. He now wants to go to college in the UK.

And yes, the last thing I would want to see is an NFL team in London. The NFL is a "national", as in United States league, not international. Football evolved here and is a very, very American thing. The teams all have the stars and stripes on their helmets. The games are very much an American themed event with the national anthem and tributes to the Armed Forces.

I couldn't stomach a Union Jack on our NFL football helmets.
I think a lot of the supporters in the stadium are American ex-pats and European NFL fans too. I dont think it will happen anyway, if nothing else the logistics of it wouldnt work, would they? How easy would it be to incorportate another team into the NFL league? Where would the players come from for the London team? I dont think they would be able to fill a team with English players because I dont think there are any! And if they filled the team with rookies I couldnt see them being very competetive!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 AM

317 posts, read 412,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Brits don't want to watch a game that has more stoppages than action.
But they watch cricket, yes? From what I've seen it's nothing but a bunch of stoppages, punctuated by a periodic limp-wristed throw and closeups of old men in fishing hats pointing their index finger in the air.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
But they watch cricket, yes? From what I've seen it's nothing but a bunch of stoppages, punctuated by a periodic limp-wristed throw and closeups of old men in fishing hats pointing their index finger in the air.
Then you haven't seen very much.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Not a great time to knock cricket after the recent events in India!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Then you haven't seen very much.
After a few hours in the stands at Lords where the drunk Aussie spectators were providing more sporting entertainment than the guys in the oval, I'd say I've seen enough thanks.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Not a great time to knock cricket after the recent events in India!
What?! Did they finally shorten the game to 15 mins?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Each to their own.

American Football is not my cup of tea but I'm not going to knock it.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
But this thread is about an NFL team in London which, last time I looked, is not in the USA.
I realize that. However, as you probably know, these threads meander a bit. There have been several comments made about how "boring" NFL games are - regardless of location. I was, obviously, responding to several comments which were, while not strictly "on topic," related to the topic in general.

And by the way, there are towns named London in West Virginia, Texas, Pennsylvania (New London), Ohio (two actually!), New Hampshire (New London), Missouri, Minnesota (London AND New London!), Kentucky, and Connecticut (New London and London). Not sure if any of those towns are interested in starting up an NFL team though.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No but Ive had members of my family that have lived in the US for a while and they tried it while they were there, they said that there is no atmosphere at the stadium, they tried baseball too and said it was even worse! Perhaps you should try attending a football game in the UK to compare? I think you will be suprised! I know that there is a small interest in the US for football (soccer) now, I have seen Matt Damon at Stamford Bridge and I see there was Tom Cruise at the City / United game yesterday but I dont know what the atmosphere is like at the US football (soccer) stadiums. I really am not trying to put down American Football, like I said the sporting culture is just very very different, what you said about replays and analysing play is something abhorrent to UK sports fans, we like our game to 'flow' for 90 minutes, there is a difference between the US and the rest of the world, I think the rest of the world generally plays football rather than American football and therefore I would think that what they like in a sporting context tends to mirror the English rather than the American psyche (again I am not suggesting one is right and one is wrong).
Thanks for the friendly feedback.

Having been to several NFL games, frankly, I cannot IMAGINE that there is "no atmosphere in the stadium." Wow - I mean, that concept blows my mind. NFL fans are a very lively bunch! Having never been to a European soccer game, I can't compare the two venues, though.

Baseball is an interesting game but definitely quieter than football - either sort of football. It's a much more relaxed sort of setting. Baseball doesn't INTEND to be loud and rowdy like football - and the fans aren't there for that sort of atmosphere.

As for US soccer, I haven't been to any professional games but I have been to numerous local soccer events. They were pleasant enough but a bit boring to me. However, the fans were locals - like I said, these were not professional events.

When a US team is playing for some sort of international standing/championship, it's very common for Americans to watch those games on TV - at home, in bars or clubs, etc. and we're very much into "cheering our team on" in that context. But from what I've seen and read about at games outside the US, and the behavior of many fans at those games - no, that's not typical American behavior associated with football of any sort.

For instance, now this was a while back, but I lived in Germany when they won the World Cup back in the early 1990s. There was riotous partying in the streets - I mean LOUD, VERY DRUNKEN partying and fireworks and flag waving and yelling and singing - for three full days - all day and all night. No. That is not typical American behavior regarding any sports team - not even when the New Orleans Saints won the Superbowl! (We only partied like that for ONE night! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom