Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,256,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I know American football isn't necessarily popular in London, but at the same time it's a global city with millions of people. Most NFL stadiums number between 65-95,000 with Dallas exceeding 100k: basically, I would guess there's enough interest in London to regularly fill a 70,000 person stadium considering there's probably triple that number of Americans living there as expats. So what do you think? Is an NFL team in London a possibility? Is there support?

Eventually there could be a team in London, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds (I just wikipedia'd the top 4 most populous metro areas in the UK ) and y'all could form your own conference.
I don't know about regularly being able to fill a stadium over here - certainly for the annual NFL game they play here, it is pretty close to packed, but it's a bit of a novelty really. I don't think the attendance levels would be sustainable on a regular basis. Kids here don't play American football in school like they do in North America - so conference teams in the UK would be simply Americans playing over here - not really much point.

At the recent Patriots/Rams game it was full of Americans and Canadians - and a lot of Brits that didn't really get what was going on for the most part - so for the expats it was an evening out, and a few that I talked to, an annual novelty/splurge. I loved it - it is close enough to the CFL that it made me nostalgic for frosty evenings and beer watching my son play in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,813,461 times
This is atmosphere

Atmosphere at Celtic Park filmed by Barca fan - YouTube

Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,868,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post

Your atmosphere. Amercans enjoy the atmosphere we have here. Doesn't make your atmosphere better. Do you ever have a nice comment to make about the US?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,411,871 times
Every Monday night NFL game has great atmosphere. especially at games like the one tonight, Texans vs Patriots (#1 and #3 team in the AFC)

Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Lol yes they make good juice.

I am just showing the atmosphere in the UK because a few have said it was boring. Watch it, nowhere in America can compete, its not an insult just a fact, can you just ever admit that your country isn't the "best" at every little thing?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,401,163 times
Quote:

To each his own. I found your clip interesting - different from what we'd see at most major sports events in the US, but interesting.

Here is some more atmosphere!

Saints fans after their Superbowl win - New Orleans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqdeATNcX8

Superbowl 2010 opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuPsvWi7g-8

"Who Dat Say Dey Gonna Beat Dem Saints?" Oh, yeah...this atmosphere is just so...dull...NOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW-eT-lrkuU

Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,401,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invincibl3 View Post
every monday night nfl game has great atmosphere. Especially at games like the one tonight, texans vs patriots (#1 and #3 team in the afc)

woohooooo, love dem texans!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Good atmosphere yes, as spine-tingling as Celtic Park, nope sorry!

Look I know you like to defend your country but you can't be better at everything. America is better than Europe in plenty of ways, stadium atmosphere is better in Europe imo, not saying Americas stadium atmosphere isn't good but in some stadiums in Germany, Scotland, eastern Europe etc it is insane.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,411,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To each his own. I found your clip interesting - different from what we'd see at most major sports events in the US, but interesting.

Here is some more atmosphere!

Saints fans after their Superbowl win - New Orleans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqdeATNcX8

Superbowl 2010 opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuPsvWi7g-8

"Who Dat Say Dey Gonna Beat Dem Saints?" Oh, yeah...this atmosphere is just so...dull...NOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW-eT-lrkuU
Even though you had to play dirty and injure our QB to win the game, The atmosphere at Saints games seem pretty fun.

----------------------------------------

Ill admit European Football atmosphere is much louder than NFL. in NFL games no one really sings in the middle of the game, teams usually have team songs they sing after each score. In the middle of European football games i notice fans singing in the middle of the game. I also notice that they seem to have sections for away fans. for NFL away fans just sit anywhere but they usually try to purchase seats behind their teams bench.

i assume they have away sections to avoid fans fighting, but im not sure. Kind of seems like a good idea especially at a Raiders or a Eagles game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXNjfXbUaQ

Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,868,872 times
Quote:
Lol yes they make good juice.

I am just showing the atmosphere in the UK because a few have said it was boring. Watch it, nowhere in America can compete, its not an insult just a fact, can you just ever admit that your country isn't the "best" at every little thing?

Too bad you didn't make a bet with me on that one. Here you go: //www.city-data.com/forum/world...ingdom-11.html

Read my post #106, and let me know if you still think I can never admit the USA isn't "the best at every little thing". On the other hand, don't think I've ever seen a complimentary thread or post of yours about the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom