Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
At least the Vikings are playing in London next year, that should be cool. Except we're playing the Steelers which is like the most popular team around but at least it's not the Saints.
Saints fans are a rowdy bunch! We've had a tough year this year, with the sanctions, but LOOK OUT for next year - hard times only tend to make the Saints hunker down and get their game back on!

I was a Saints fan though when the team was so bad that people wore paper bags over their heads to the games, and called themselves the Aints!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TFsE6weBsA

Classic New Orleans "second line" funeral procession for the Aints (after the Saints won the Superbowl).

Love me some New Orleans! Proud to call it my hometown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Saints fans are a rowdy bunch! We've had a tough year this year, with the sanctions, but LOOK OUT for next year - hard times only tend to make the Saints hunker down and get their game back on!

I was a Saints fan though when the team was so bad that people wore paper bags over their heads to the games, and called themselves the Aints!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TFsE6weBsA

Classic New Orleans "second line" funeral procession for the Aints (after the Saints won the Superbowl).

Love me some New Orleans! Proud to call it my hometown!

Oh yeah, I remember the paper bags and "Aint's". New Orleans is an amazing city. Love it there. I also love the offshore islands of Mississippi: West Ship Island, Horn Island, etc. Beautiful beaches and water there.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Oh yeah, I remember the paper bags and "Aint's". New Orleans is an amazing city. Love it there. I also love the offshore islands of Mississippi: West Ship Island, Horn Island, etc. Beautiful beaches and water there.
I LOVE Ship Island -one of my family's favorite little destinations! Gorgeous. I love our entire Gulf Coast region -it's been hit pretty hard over the past ten years but the people are terrific, and they just keep pulling themselves back up again and making a go of it.

Back to the NFL, and American football in general - it seems to be a very healthy "obsession." By that I mean, that not many fans take it seriously - the camaraderie and the "fighting" and competition are all in good fun. Rarely do things get out of hand or violent, even though we don't have separate seating areas at our professional stadiums. The last time I went to a Dallas Cowboys game, there were "opponents" sitting right next to us, and we had a great time talking and yelling smack!

Also, recently I was at a bar with several groups of people cheering on their own separate NFL teams - and a great time was had by all. If anyone actually broke off into some sort of fight in public over NFL teams, it would not be considered appropriate or acceptable.

It's all just in good fun.

Now HIGH SCHOOL football? That's a whole other story!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
I would post a few of the Chelsea 'songs' popular at Stamford Bridge........but if I did I would probably get banned from here! If people tried to 'tailgate' at Millwall I think they would probably get their hotdogs shoved where the sun doesnt shine! lol

Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I would post a few of the Chelsea 'songs' popular at Stamford Bridge........but if I did I would probably get banned from here! If people tried to 'tailgate' at Millwall I think they would probably get their hotdogs shoved where the sun doesnt shine! lol
I know - see, it's a huge cultural difference, and personally, I much prefer not having to worry about my personal safety at a professional football game. But hey, that's just me!

http://media.nola.com/saints_impact/...0a82_large.jpg

Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
In the USA, most of the stadiums are out of town and have very large car parks which facilitate 'tailgating'. In the UK, most stadia are in town, do not have large car parks and where the majority of fans use public transport to access them.

I have been to hundreds of 'soccer' games in the UK, Europe and the USA including many 'high profile' ones like Rangers v Celtic or Man City v Man Utd. Not once have I feared for my safety.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
In the USA, most of the stadiums are out of town and have very large car parks which facilitate 'tailgating'. In the UK, most stadia are in town, do not have large car parks and where the majority of fans use public transport to access them.

I have been to hundreds of 'soccer' games in the UK, Europe and the USA including many 'high profile' ones like Rangers v Celtic or Man City v Man Utd. Not once have I feared for my safety.
That's good to know.

However, I believe that violence at "soccer" games is more prevalent than at American football games - in general. I don't know about the UK - I've never attended a game there. But that's the impression I get. I could be wrong.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

Our football stadium is actually in the city, and accessible by bus and subway. There are large "car parks" as you say, and we even have permanent roofing over the parking areas for tailgaiting.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-philadelphia/

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Our football stadium is actually in the city, and accessible by bus and subway. There are large "car parks" as you say, and we even have permanent roofing over the parking areas for tailgaiting.

Baddest Eagles Tailgate Mobiles And Parties In Philadelphia « CBS Philly
Yes, I have been to see the Eagles as my wife used to live in Philly (Fairmont district). But the environment is still much more 'open' than most British soccer stadiums. The location of Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium would be the closest match to a British stadium.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's good to know.

However, I believe that violence at "soccer" games is more prevalent than at American football games - in general. I don't know about the UK - I've never attended a game there. But that's the impression I get. I could be wrong.
There is very little violence. However, whenever there is an incident it gets blown out of all proportion by the media. Some of the stories my wife tells me about Fenway Park in the 1970s makes soccer violence appear tame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom