U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 51,839,089 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

I've heard the violent crime rate in the UK is actually higher than the US, except for murder. It's still overall a safe country, but do you think historically and now, to a lesser extent, British - mainly English and Scottish rather than Welsh (Northern Ireland being something else entirely lol) culture is particularly brutal? I mean a long history of warfare, invasion, the bloody history of the royals - of course other countries are like this, but there seems to be a particular coldness about the British way. For instance, how many other countries hung children for stealing a loaf of bread, as Britain did in the 18th century?

I like to use the phrase 'velvet fisted glove' to refer to those old English gents, so proper and polite, but underneath capable of great brutality. Also the Anglo-derived culture, Australian culture still has a sort of aggressive side.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 AM
 
5,607 posts, read 3,052,090 times
Reputation: 7407
No, is the short answer.
The realities of 21st century Britain are far removed from the historical references you make and Britain is not that different culturally from many other Western countries.
However the real elephant in the room is how much an open-door immigration policy has had on life in Britain.
Twelve per cent of London’s men are black. But 54 per cent of the street crimes committed by men in London, along with 46 per cent of the knife crimes and more than half of the gun crimes, are thought by the Metropolitan Police to have been committed by black men.
Ironically, a disproportionate number of victims are also black.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 AM
 
Location: London, UK
9,992 posts, read 11,446,810 times
Reputation: 3473
urgh these questions many european countries during the 18th/19th century killed children/people for trivial things not just britain. The only thing britain has is the drink culture
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 9,669,450 times
Reputation: 3100
Default Do you think British culture is innately violent/aggressive?

Not particularly, except when people keep asking us stupid questions.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 AM
 
Location: SW France
15,342 posts, read 15,930,153 times
Reputation: 28606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Not particularly, except when people keep asking us stupid questions.
Yep.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM
 
Location: London
1,068 posts, read 1,913,050 times
Reputation: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
No, is the short answer.
The realities of 21st century Britain are far removed from the historical references you make and Britain is not that different culturally from many other Western countries.
However the real elephant in the room is how much an open-door immigration policy has had on life in Britain.
Twelve per cent of London’s men are black. But 54 per cent of the street crimes committed by men in London, along with 46 per cent of the knife crimes and more than half of the gun crimes, are thought by the Metropolitan Police to have been committed by black men.
Ironically, a disproportionate number of victims are also black.
But the vast majority of London's black population are British?

Also a large percentage of the new wave of immigrants are white East Europeans from countries like Poland, Lithuania and more recently Bulgaria and Romania.

Your posts tend to exude a very bizarre (if incendiary) brand of commentary and unless you can date back your own family tree to at least half-a-century before the Doomsday Book then I can't see where this rather strange allusion to the black population and gun and knife crime comes from unless you are seriously trying to separate the black population from what you consider to be "pure bred" Britons.

You appear to be attempting to create a rift and division where the British public themselves (especially in London) see none. No-one in London today apart from a very secluded brand of bigoted crackpots draws any distinctions between black people and "pure bred Britonians" or any conclusions between skin colour alone and issues surrounding immigration.

Immigration has nothing to do with skin colour. You don't have to be black to be an immigrant to the UK. Even if we have to tolerate the underhand connotations of your racially slanted viewpoint no-one has to tolerate your deliberate manipulation of the facts.

Most black people involved in crime are British born just as most white people involved in crime are British born. Trying to offload these problems onto the immigrants is very convenient and very lazy typecasting.

Last edited by Fear&Whiskey; 01-14-2013 at 05:55 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 AM
 
2,816 posts, read 6,025,325 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
No, is the short answer.
The realities of 21st century Britain are far removed from the historical references you make and Britain is not that different culturally from many other Western countries.
However the real elephant in the room is how much an open-door immigration policy has had on life in Britain.
Twelve per cent of London’s men are black. But 54 per cent of the street crimes committed by men in London, along with 46 per cent of the knife crimes and more than half of the gun crimes, are thought by the Metropolitan Police to have been committed by black men.
Ironically, a disproportionate number of victims are also black.
Nonsense. Colour per se has nothing to do with it. Wherever you have isolated "ghetto" populations forming an underclass you have the same symptoms. The most violent city in Britain is Glasgow, where that underclass is white.

Back to the OP, I would say that what sets Britain apart from most other European countries is a culture of casual violence, fuelled by drink and drugs. In most dodgy places crime happens "for a reason" (drug wars, etc), but in Britain most of the violent crime is just complete senseless.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM
 
7,648 posts, read 9,320,102 times
Reputation: 5076
historically , britain is a violent country and very good at it , i would say its more agressive and hard nosed than the likes of france or italy
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 AM
 
5,607 posts, read 3,052,090 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
But the vast majority of London's black population are British?

Also a large percentage of the new wave of immigrants are white East Europeans from countries like Poland, Lithuania and more recently Bulgaria and Romania.

Your posts tend to exude a very bizarre (if incendiary) brand of commentary and unless you can date back your own family tree to at least half-a-century before the Doomsday Book then I can't see where this rather strange allusion to the black population and gun and knife crime comes from unless you are seriously trying to separate the black population from what you consider to be "pure bred" Britons.

You appear to be attempting to create a rift and division where the British public themselves (especially in London) see none. No-one in London today apart from a very secluded brand of bigoted crackpots draws any distinctions between black people and "pure bred Britonians" or any conclusions between skin colour alone and issues surrounding immigration.

Immigration has nothing to do with skin colour. You don't have to be black to be an immigrant to the UK. Even if we have to tolerate the underhand connotations of your racially slanted viewpoint no-one has to tolerate your deliberate manipulation of the facts.

Most black people involved in crime are British born just as most white people involved in crime are British born. Trying to offload these problems onto the immigrants is very convenient and very lazy typecasting.

These are the official statistics.They're a fact of life.And they're replicated in every major city in Britain where there is a significant black population.
The black youths and young men carrying out these crimes are British, more often than not third-generation Britons whose grand-parents came to the country from the Caribbean in the 1960s.
There's also an increasing number of African immigrants and their offspring who are engaged in violent street crime and gangs.
But between them they are responsible for a disproportionately high level of violent crime.
They also,rather strangely for second and third generation Britons,affect a Jamaican patois and gangsta-style way of life celebrating a culture of guns and drugs, even though most have never been further abroad than Balham High Street.
The elephant in the room of course is that no-one is prepared to have a sensible discussion about why black youths are more responsible for violent crime, often against each other, without the usual knee-jerk accusations of racism.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM
 
5,607 posts, read 3,052,090 times
Reputation: 7407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Nonsense. Colour per se has nothing to do with it. Wherever you have isolated "ghetto" populations forming an underclass you have the same symptoms. The most violent city in Britain is Glasgow, where that underclass is white.

Back to the OP, I would say that what sets Britain apart from most other European countries is a culture of casual violence, fuelled by drink and drugs. In most dodgy places crime happens "for a reason" (drug wars, etc), but in Britain most of the violent crime is just complete senseless.

Really.
I don't see similar problems in any Asian " ghetto " in Britain.
This lame excuse that third-generation black Britons who have the same education,upbringing and employment prospects as their white friends are somehow more under-privileged is hogwash.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top