Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
OP doesn't live in the UK.

As long as the OP meets the residency requirements he can get the same benefits as residents and EU citizens.

He doesn't say when he lived in the UK, how long he lived there, how long he worked in the UK for and how long he has been gone.
I fall foul of the '3 years and you're out' law.

that is to say; one needs to have been 'ordinarily resident in the UK for the past 3 years' in order to get the regular fee.

(I've been away 7)

let's say I signed up for an on-line degree course - I would have to pay way more than someone from Poland who just popped over to UK.

is that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM

554 posts, read 736,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I fall foul of the '3 years and you're out' law.

that is to say; one needs to have been 'ordinarily resident in the UK for the past 3 years' in order to get the regular fee.

(I've been away 7)

let's say I signed up for an on-line degree course - I would have to pay way more than someone from Poland who just popped over to UK.

is that right?
You're asking whether its fair that you as a non-UK taxpayer (which you have not been one for at least 7 years) should subsidise your education, which you appear to intend to study abroad. i.e. You are asking me to pay for you to get an education whilst you live abroad.

You've endeavored to cast aspersions at the EU system whereby I do pay for Polish students who have perhaps never lived in the UK, and contrasted this with your own situation. However your point neglects that the Polish student must demonstrate that he/she can support themselves (e.g. bank statements) before they will be accepted onto their course, and for the duration of that students education they will be bringing money for their living expenses into the UK whether that be through a student loan from Poland, parental contributions from Poland, by working part-time in the UK or through a combination of the above. You offer no such advantages to the UK economy.

A different way of thinking about this is that the average Government spending per person in England is £8588/pp. To actually pay that much in tax you'd need to have no children and earn ~£35,000. To put that a different way, any single person in England whose lifetime earnings average less than £35,000/year (from the day they were born) is a net drain on the British exchequer. I'm going to guess on the basis of statistical probability that your average lifetime earnings in the UK (from age 0 upwards) have not averaged more than £35,000/year, and therefore you are a net burden to the UK exchequer, and you are asking why you are not permitted to become an even greater burden, because at one time 7 years ago you happened to live here.

Finally, I would probably exhibit a more sympathetic attitude towards you if you haven't shown by the force of your posts to be an odious and frankly racist individual. In this post and others you make regular references to 'blacks running the country', in another you demanded that all Muslims be kicked out of the UK. If those are your attitudes, then you have no place being in this country and if the education setup doesn't work in your favour, then so much the better.

Eoin

Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Because students from other countries generally aren't as wealthy as Brits: Moldova, Albania, Zambia, etc.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 AM

so what?

that sounds like some strange form of neo-liberal PC Communism!

not the Brits' fault that places such as Albania are poorer.

do you expect Mexicans to pay less for products in the US, just because their nation is poorer?

come on, that's nonsense surely....

and BTW : the last paragraph of Eoin's post is also absurd

Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 AM

554 posts, read 736,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
and BTW : the last paragraph of Eoin's post is also absurd
I take the view that if I ignore xenophobia, then to some degree I am complicit in it. From reading through your posts on this forum I'm satisfied that I can justify my remarks. Before I do so I wish to make my reasons clear to you. You spend a great deal of time discussing the issues of the day, you claim to have read Hayek and indeed have started a thread discussing Keynes. These are admirable topics to discuss, and indeed ones I'd ordinarily be enthusiastic to participate in.

However the statements you've made about race, and in particular, disparaging remarks you've made about groups different to your own, made me re-consider whether it's worth my while. While you appear to rail against the 'PC Brigade' in at least one of your posts, it is not born out of a sense of political correctness that I criticise you. I criticise you because many of your posts demonstrate a deep lack of empathy based on your preconceived notions of ethnic/religious background. You've made comments which would be deeply offensive and unjustified (not to mention unjustifiable) to many of the people who will read them.

Without a developed sense of empathy, you are ill-prepared to consider human actions and their consequences, and consequently ill-prepared to understand the ramifications of human interactions necessary to understanding economics or any other sophisticated discipline.

Some examples from the last few weeks:

Quote: "Blacks complaining about image, get real - that's [gangster-rap] the image they want."
Intellectual deficiency displayed: Evidence of your inability to distinguish between billions of black people.
Link: //www.city-data.com/forum/28159351-post64.html

Your own topic entitled:
Quote: "Are Asians racist towards Whites, and if so, why can't we be racist to them?"
Intellectual deficiency displayed: Evidence of ineptitude at directing reciprocity towards the perpetrator(s) of an injustice, determining collective guilt by mere racial affiliation.
Link: //www.city-data.com/forum/28342850-post1.html

Quote: "All Muslims should be kicked out of the UK. it's that simple"
Intellectual deficiency displayed: Evidence of the inability to empathise with over a million British Muslims, and again the inability to distinguish between over a million people based on individual behaviour rather than ethnic-religious group.
Link: //www.city-data.com/forum/27972381-post4.html

Quote: "well he won't shoot you if he is a white Brit like yourself (if that is what you are?) - I think this is how it worked in the old days"
Intellectual deficiency displayed: General

//www.city-data.com/forum/28359455-post99.html

You need to buck up your ideas if you wish to be taken seriously.

Eoin

Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Because students from other countries generally aren't as wealthy as Brits: Moldova, Albania, Zambia, etc.
Moldova, Albania and Zambia are not in the EU, and their citizens would not be able to study in the UK more cheaply than a British person living here.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM

they'd probably have to pay a higher rate, the international one.

and Eeeoyne - didn't realise you were a mod, so let's have less of your pomposity, there's a good chap..........

Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
I take the view that if I ignore xenophobia, then to some degree I am complicit in it. From reading through your posts on this forum I'm satisfied that I can justify my remarks. Before I do so I wish to make my reasons clear to you. You spend a great deal of time discussing the issues of the day, you claim to have read Hayek and indeed have started a thread discussing Keynes. These are admirable topics to discuss, and indeed ones I'd ordinarily be enthusiastic to participate in.

However the statements you've made about race, and in particular, disparaging remarks you've made about groups different to your own, made me re-consider whether it's worth my while. While you appear to rail against the 'PC Brigade' in at least one of your posts, it is not born out of a sense of political correctness that I criticise you. I criticise you because many of your posts demonstrate a deep lack of empathy based on your preconceived notions of ethnic/religious background. You've made comments which would be deeply offensive and unjustified (not to mention unjustifiable) to many of the people who will read them.

Without a developed sense of empathy, you are ill-prepared to consider human actions and their consequences, and consequently ill-prepared to understand the ramifications of human interactions necessary to understanding economics or any other sophisticated discipline.

Some examples from the last few weeks:

Quote: "Blacks complaining about image, get real - that's [gangster-rap] the image they want."
Intellectual deficiency displayed: Evidence of your inability to distinguish between billions of black people.
Link: //www.city-data.com/forum/28159351-post64.html

Your own topic entitled:
Quote: "Are Asians racist towards Whites, and if so, why can't we be racist to them?"
Intellectual deficiency displayed: Evidence of ineptitude at directing reciprocity towards the perpetrator(s) of an injustice, determining collective guilt by mere racial affiliation.
Link: //www.city-data.com/forum/28342850-post1.html

Quote: "All Muslims should be kicked out of the UK. it's that simple"
Intellectual deficiency displayed: Evidence of the inability to empathise with over a million British Muslims, and again the inability to distinguish between over a million people based on individual behaviour rather than ethnic-religious group.
Link: //www.city-data.com/forum/27972381-post4.html

Quote: "well he won't shoot you if he is a white Brit like yourself (if that is what you are?) - I think this is how it worked in the old days"
Intellectual deficiency displayed: General

//www.city-data.com/forum/28359455-post99.html

You need to buck up your ideas if you wish to be taken seriously.

Eoin

Great work. It's good to call out a racist intellectually bankrupt bigot

Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM

159 posts, read 263,667 times
here in the states we have out of state tuition, if you have lived in a state for a set period of time your tuition will be lower than someone from another state, but online classes have changed the way they charge for their use, but what you are saying about your scenario doesnt sound right or fair!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom