U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 AM

24,682 posts, read 52,016,744 times

Advertisements

Few can deny the massive global influence of Great Britain in almost every sphere - from the economic, social, linguistic and in a broader cultural sense. From cricket to the Beatles, the UK has probably have a greater influence (and in a way through the United States, it's rebellious child) than any nation ever - or at least since Renaissance France or Ancient Rome/Greece. I'm wondering, then, whether many Britons - not just the English either since both Scottish, Welsh and Irish were influential in colonialism etc, felt a sort of guilt and embarrassment whenever they talk about Empire, or say the influence of English, and whether this is seen as boasting. Are people from the UK made to feel almost guilty for even talking about it?

I'm not British myself nor do I have British ancestry, but I've lived under the 'shadow' of the British Empire all my life. I was born in a former British colony (Singapore), live in Australia, a constitutional monarchy, and was brought up on a steady diet of British culture. That English is my first language and the language of my parent's, and Protestantism my religion is also a legacy of colonialism. Of course, one might say I've benefited from it so don't have much to be bitter about (and I'm not) but I do see colonialism as a multi-faceted and complex thing that changed the world both for the worst and for the better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM

8,024 posts, read 11,173,057 times
We, the younger generation, can only look at it fact based. A lot of evil things were committed in the name of empire, but Australia and America, for example, would be wildly different if it wasn't for the British Empire.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:21 AM

22,256 posts, read 27,446,664 times
Boasting of the British empire and achievements of Britain in general is something you are more likely to witness amongst the 'golden oldies'. My grandmother, for example, took great pride in telling me, as a child, that Britain ruled the world at one point, she was born in 1939 so was only a young child before Britain started granting colonies independence.

For people in their 20s, such as myself, boasting about the British Empire and British achievements is rarely seen or heard, and is probably considered bad taste. I don't think it is related to subconscious guilt, since the acts committed by our predecessors occurred way before the terrible acts committed by Germany or Japan in the 1940s, but maybe it's related to our self-deprecating nature in general.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM

17,186 posts, read 16,099,721 times
This is absolute rubbish, no one boasts at all about empire or colonial past... where do these ideas come from ... its in the past..

Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM

4,663 posts, read 7,912,330 times
British influence and the colonizing empire can be separate. Combining the two has fuelled some pretty ignorant responses so far..

Those who don't acknowledge British influence around the world are blind (although I don't know any of those), and those who credit Britain with all that is good in the world and think the 'empire' was a moralistic time in our history live in some sort of utopian fantasy land bubble of crap.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM

8,024 posts, read 11,173,057 times
ian, you are saying what I, and most people, already think lol.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 PM

554 posts, read 696,442 times
I agree with Ian.

To address the question specifically, I don't feel any personal guilt or embarrassment when discussing the empire. But if the question is about contemporary social attitudes towards the empire rather than the empire itself, I think anyone who lauds the achievements of empire without simultaneously paying serious attention to its profoundly detrimental effects; is an oaf.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 AM

1,800 posts, read 2,737,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Boasting of the British empire and achievements of Britain in general is something you are more likely to witness amongst the 'golden oldies'. My grandmother, for example, took great pride in telling me, as a child, that Britain ruled the world at one point, she was born in 1939 so was only a young child before Britain started granting colonies independence.

For people in their 20s, such as myself, boasting about the British Empire and British achievements is rarely seen or heard, and is probably considered bad taste. I don't think it is related to subconscious guilt, since the acts committed by our predecessors occurred way before the terrible acts committed by Germany or Japan in the 1940s, but maybe it's related to our self-deprecating nature in general.
I think you have to realize that us "Golden Oldies" as you call us, were fed all this stuff at school about the British Empire and all its achievements, we even had Empire Day a celebration of what being British meant. Of course we realise now that it wasn't all good, i don't know what kids are taught today maybe someone can enlighten me.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 AM

12,265 posts, read 9,632,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I think you have to realize that us "Golden Oldies" as you call us, were fed all this stuff at school about the British Empire and all its achievements, we even had Empire Day a celebration of what being British meant. Of course we realise now that it wasn't all good, i don't know what kids are taught today maybe someone can enlighten me.
Britains should be as proud of their history as anybody else on the planet! Of course British history isnt 'all good' but it isnt 'all bad' either! If somebody can show me a part of the world that historically has been 'all good' then I would be suprised!

Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 AM

5,655 posts, read 4,863,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
British influence and the colonizing empire can be separate. Combining the two has fuelled some pretty ignorant responses so far..

Those who don't acknowledge British influence around the world are blind (although I don't know any of those), and those who credit Britain with all that is good in the world and think the 'empire' was a moralistic time in our history live in some sort of utopian fantasy land bubble of crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
ian, you are saying what I, and most people, already think lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
I agree with Ian.
Yep, i'm with Ian on this as well. Although I would also add that it should be acknowledged that although one shouldn't "credit Britain with all that is good in the world" it shouldn't also be credited with all that is evil either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom