U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 04:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 16,773,032 times

Advertisements

Coming hard on the heels of the Cardinal O'Brien sex and abuse scandal we now have this one.

"Former pupil claims monks at closed boys' school Fort Augustus Abbey committed 'systematic, brutal, awful torture"

"Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who resigned as Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh in February after allegations of sexual misconduct, was a visitor to the school and guest of honour at last year's old boys' dinner. Jimmy Savile, who owned a house in the Highlands, was also an occasional guest and Lavery remembers his Rolls-Royce being parked outside the monastery."

Police investigate allegations of sex abuse at Catholic boarding school | UK news | The Observer
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 05:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,252,174 times
I was reared Catholic and came up through Catholic school and I was an alter-boy until I think my junior year of high school. I personally never had any problem. But then I wasn't driven to suicide in the U.S. Marine Corps either.

We are entering a different era for good or ill and some of the things I went through in childhood and in the Marine Corps might be regarded as insane cruelty and brutality. I was spanked pretty frequently with a belt by my father. In fact, he used to make me go get the belt to bring to him to receive my beating. But today a parent might be arrested in the United States for that if a kid called the cops. And I have one friend who after years of his daughter running away with thugs and doing other things finally spanked her. She called the cops. They came and warned him. But when him and I grew up it never dawned on us to call the cops on our parents.

Being locked in a room for a few days is bad. That's why I wonder how U.S. prisoners survive when they are thrown in the "hole." Worse yet are the "super-max" prisons in the United States. Some people lose their minds in their.

Then you have hazing. That was quite common in the military with each unit/company and common with high school and college sports teams. Today it is regarded as cruel and barbaric.

I think the monks in this story ran into the problem of being self righteous. However, that phenomenon is found online. It's a very old monastic custom to shun monks that are falling out of order. If you curse and scream out of anger for example, the monks might be ordered to ignore you, not to eat with you, not to speak to you, and you might have to bath and sleep separately from everyone. But people online do this same "shunning" if someone states something they find too offensive.

For example, if I said, "All British women look like horses," chances are Brits will get self righteous, angry, and put me on their "ignore list."

This same "ignore list" tactic is what old school religion and monasticism employed for ages.

Corporal punishment has a long history in the workforce and schools too. During the 19th Century in U.S. factories children were often employed, and they would work 16 or more hours a day for a tiny wage. The way lots of employers kept those children awake and productive was to tie them to metal beams and beat them with straps. Literally. And these were free white children, albeit poor kids, but not black slaves.

Today--and I think this is a good advancement--any form of corporal punishment is outlawed and regarded as barbaric.

Similarly, it was once common among all big institutions tied to society, to keep sexual abuse and pedophilia or pederasty quiet, because it was thought society needed faith in these institutions (government, law enforcement, courts, church, schools etc.).

But what was kept in the dark is now coming to the light.

I think self righteousness is more often a more dangerous thing than simply anger. Maybe theft is less worse than being self righteous? Empathy is a good thing to have. Trying to understand why a kid might be sad or angry. Not that we need to over do it... but balance is important perhaps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom