Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM

829 posts, read 1,240,678 times

Advertisements

How many British people retire to towns along the southern coast of England, like Bournemouth, Eastbourne, Worthing, and those along the "English Riviera", and how many British people retire to places like the Costa del Sol, the Costa Blanca (both in Spain), and the Algarve? (I'm sure Blackpool isn't as popular with retirees, right?) And is it fair to say that those retiring to the southern English coast are summer-based while those retiring to Spain or Portugal are winter-based?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 11,893,226 times
It used to make financial sense to retire to Spain as a British pensioner as your pension went a LOT further, since the Euro I'm not so sure that still holds true!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:34 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,014,427 times
Life in Spain is incredibly tough right now. Out of all the people I've known who've moved out there the only ones who have made it work are the ones who can afford to have properties in the UK/Ireland and Spain.

There are many things to take into consideration, especially since the prospect of selling up only to be stuck with a dormant property in Spain is a very real possibility and I have seen it ruin some couples whose dreams have turned into nightmares.

Oh, and if your one and only idea to make money in Spain is to open a bar forget it, everyone else including the locals have had the same idea invariably and with the economy as lopsided as it is the service sector is way too overloaded.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Oh, and how many British retirees live in France (esp. the Cote d'Azur and Provence) compared to Spain or Portugal?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 AM

16,550 posts, read 17,319,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Oh, and how many British retirees live in France (esp. the Cote d'Azur and Provence) compared to Spain or Portugal?
We do not have access to any privileged information.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM

45 posts, read 33,383 times
I have certain arrangements to make before I shall permit myself to retire.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:33 PM

Do British retirees along the southern English coast spend just part of the year (e.g. summer) in those coastal towns (sort of the way that retirees from the northern American snowbelt plus Canada spend the winter in Florida, Arizona, etc.), and they live the rest of the year in London or wherever else their home towns in Britain might be? Or do they tend to live the whole year on the southern English coast?

Old 02-24-2019, 03:40 AM

1,877 posts, read 669,305 times
Id say they live mostly live there year-round. Not much point keeping another very expensive home an hour or two drive away in London if you no longer need to be there for work.

In terms of France I don't think Cote d'azur is the most popular location for British retirees, its very expensive. There are more in SW France, especially rural regions like Dordogne.

But obviously the vast majority of British pensioners live in the UK. Some might move to coastal areas (not just the south coast, also west Wales, parts of the east coast, Cumbria etc). But I guess the big majority stay where they lived before retirement, not everybody wants to up sticks and leave family, friends, community etc just because they are no longer working.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 AM

1,877 posts, read 669,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
It used to make financial sense to retire to Spain as a British pensioner as your pension went a LOT further, since the Euro I'm not so sure that still holds true!
The value of the Pound has plummeted in recent years so if people are getting pensions in sterling it doesn't buy as much as it used to. £1 bought €1.60 back in 2000, in 2008 it bought €1.40, now following the slump in value after the Brexit referendum it buys €1.15

Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 AM

1,129 posts, read 466,009 times
I'm in Spain and we get plenty of British and Scandinavian retiree's, the pound dropping really will hit pensioners but I've been here 20 years and seen no exodus of expats due to this, most will have to tighten their belts but are determined to stay for the quality of life here compared to the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom