Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times

Advertisements

On Monday Top Gear did a wonderful tribute to the British engineering. All in all its amazing to see what is still produced on that industrious island. It made me rather proud to be British.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMb17Et6Wwo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
I like Top Gear, and watched the episode on BBC America on Monday night. Seriously though, this episode was really embarrassing; they claimed "British manufacturing domination" and then proceeded to display Honda, Ford, Jaguar, BMW, Caterpillar, Tractors, Lotus etc because, get this... they have a British gearbox or brake pad!

Could you imagine the reaction if another country did the same thing? They then proceeded to show a long line of foreign, yes foreign cars, motorcycles and other vehicles lining the mall, proudly proclaiming how wonderful all this "Britishness" is.. I was frankly embarrassed by how pathetic the show's production was. The highlight then came with a display of the world showing every country (apart from France) that imported a British made good of some kind.. even it was a toothpick. Never mind that there are actually zero owned British car manufacturers, or that private investment is the lowest it's been for 50 years, or that manufacturing output is the lowest in 30 years, or that you know, we don't make British cars anymore!!

But, hey ho, who lets a bit if good ol self delusion get in the way of entertainment!!

Old 08-15-2013, 12:33 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Speaking of British engineering ...

The mountain town I live in, hosts the Greater Atlanta British Motorcycle Association every year for their "British in The Blue Ridge Rally". They come here for a few days and ride their vintage British motorcycles through the mountains. It looks like a lot of fun.

GABMA Homepage

There are a number of these vintage British bike enthusiast groups in the U.S.

Here is a list: Vintage Bike Magazine » Clubs

That's rather impressive in the land of Harley-Davidson.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:48 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I like Top Gear, and watched the episode on BBC America on Monday night. Seriously though, this episode was really embarrassing; they claimed "British manufacturing domination" and then proceeded to display Honda, Ford, Jaguar, BMW, Caterpillar, Tractors, Lotus etc because, get this... they have a British gearbox or brake pad!

Could you imagine the reaction if another country did the same thing? They then proceeded to show a long line of foreign, yes foreign cars, motorcycles and other vehicles lining the mall, proudly proclaiming how wonderful all this "Britishness" is.. I was frankly embarrassed by how pathetic the show's production was. The highlight then came with a display of the world showing every country (apart from France) that imported a British made good of some kind.. even it was a toothpick. Never mind that there are actually zero owned British car manufacturers, or that private investment is the lowest it's been for 50 years, or that manufacturing output is the lowest in 30 years, or that you know, we don't make British cars anymore!!

But, hey ho, who lets a bit if good ol self delusion get in the way of entertainment!!
This is a rather un-necessary post isn't it Ian?? Still I am not really suprised to hear this sort of thing coming from you!!

Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Since when were Lotus foreign?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Since when were Lotus foreign?

Since its owned and operated by a Malaysian company.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This is a rather un-necessary post isn't it Ian?? Still I am not really suprised to hear this sort of thing coming from you!!

It's called reality, or balance. Is this "sort of thing" untrue, or have I got it all wrong?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:57 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
I think someone missed the point

Still it made me proud, I don't care who the owners of the companies are, the point was that the cars or parts of are being made in Britain. Lets face it in the US only Ford and GM are now completely US owned and a high percentage of their product is manufactured outside of the US and some parts come from overseas yet they are still touted as the 'all American' car/truck.
Britain has lost a lot over the years, many manufacturers went broke or sold out overseas but the names live on and they are still produced using the same high quality techniques as always which is why some people will always buy a Rolls Royce or even a Mini.

With China and the far east leading the way manufacturing everything else we buy its nice to take a moment to recognise that engineering isn't dead on our little island, it may have slowed down and the owners maybe overseas but the product is as good as ever.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Since its owned and operated by a Malaysian company.
With it's world HQ in the UK...

Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
It's called reality, or balance. Is this "sort of thing" untrue, or have I got it all wrong?
They may not be British cars or even British owned anymore, but they still have a large presence in the UK and car manufacturing is going up. We are exporting more cars than ever - in the 70s, half of cars made were never even exported. I see nothing wrong with celebrating the things manufactured in the UK - it is British people making it, and shows that the skill is there contrary to what people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom